Toe nail help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine81

Reaction score
After removing my acrylic toe nails today, I noticed that a couple of my free edges apparently have moved towards the cuticle, I could scrape something dead-skin-like out from underneath the free edge and that I could clip them unusually short (like half way down the nail bed) :eek: Can't make up my mind weather it is Onychophosis or fungus? Anyways, I scrubbed my tootsies with Antibacterial Soft Soak and one drop of Thymolize on each nail and thought I'd do this on a daily basis a week or two, so I can see if my nails will grow out as normal. So the question is, do you guys think it's safe to put on a thin layer of clear acrylic? Just so my nails have the same length and to prevent ingrown toe nails?

Thanks in advance :hug:

Attachments

• _G1L3102.jpg
    _G1L3102.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Best advise I can give is to keep them short. Personally wouldn't overlay again until they have re-attached more...nothing to stop you panting them though with enamel and usually it lasts ages on toes anyway.

Ok, thanks! I was SO hoping I could overlay them, as they look like sh*t now :lol:

Hi Hun,
I was taught not to use L & P on toes, as you can't keep a good check on the health of natural nails. Due to toes being enclosed in shoes, trainers etc, so they are more prone to fungal infections.
Hence that is why I only use gel on toes, plus gel is easier to do on toes than L & P , well it is for me.....and you can see through if any probs are on their way.
I hope your tooties clear up soon, I would not put an overlay on them, just a good base coat and a nice polish, use plenty of cuticle oil too.
Best wishes.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

Hi Hun,
I was taught not to use L & P on toes, as you can't keep a good check on the health of natural nails. Due to toes being enclosed in shoes, trainers etc, so they are more prone to fungal infections.
Hence that is why I only use gel on toes, plus gel is easier to do on toes than L & P , well it is for me.....and you can see through if any probs are on their way.
I hope your tooties clear up soon, I would not put an overlay on them, just a good base coat and a nice polish, use plenty of cuticle oil too.
Best wishes.

I'm sorry hun, but I can't see what the difference is between having a french L&P or a french gel overlay on the toe nails - as you can see through them both - tell me what you think the differences are?
I do L&P french toes as a NNO with no problems.

As for the original poster - having not seen your toes normally without an overlay & seeing the ones you've posted, they just look to me like they have been trimmed very short. I cannot see any infection - at least not one shown by the photo. Onychophosis I think looks more like a horny growth of the cells of the nail bed - see pic....
Onychophosis

My guess is that since you've worn your overlay, your nails have grown somewhat, and by removing the overlay and trimming back down they look/feel much shorter than they would as a natural nail.

If you don't feel you want to overlay them at the moment, use lots of great conditioning cuticle oil, such as CND solar oil, then polish them for a week or two. Overlay again when the have some free edge growth.
If they were mine, I'd overlay them now with a french, just a small free edge of white thogh, and not let them grow so much before redoing them next time.
HTH's.

I agree Bev, there is no difference in having L&P or Gel on toes...you can get "see through" L&P just as you can gel.

The most important thing when doing toes is to keep the overlay thin and the nails short.

People tend to let their toe nails grow too long when they are overlaid...mainly cos they love them so much and don't want to spoil them. But they are not designed to be worn for as long as possible...they are designed to be worn until your toe nails are too long, then they must be cut/filed back.....having them too long puts pressure on them from your closed toe footwear...and this can result is nail separation and/or black toe nails, that very often then fall off.

These are nothing at all to do with having them overlaid...its simply about having your toe nails too long.

off the topic but I am being dumb again what does this mean???HTH??? can't work out what it stands for

And on topic I agree they just look like you have cut them to short my toe nails haven't got very long nail beds :)

hope that helps! x

I agree Bev, there is no difference in having L&P or Gel on toes...you can get "see through" L&P just as you can gel.

The most important thing when doing toes is to keep the overlay thin and the nails short.

People tend to let their toe nails grow too long when they are overlaid...mainly cos they love them so much and don't want to spoil them. But they are not designed to be worn for as long as possible...they are designed to be worn until your toe nails are too long, then they must be cut/filed back.....having them too long puts pressure on them from your closed toe footwear...and this can result is nail separation and/or black toe nails, that very often then fall off.

These are nothing at all to do with having them overlaid...its simply about having your toe nails too long.

Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting Angie.
I think, when you have your toes done, some peeps do have the tendancy to keep them going as llong as possible, which can cause the problems you have outlined.

Christine -

as the others have outline, having an overlay on toes gives a nice strong and often too long leverage over the nail bed. This acts like a pry bar pulling the nail plate up and off the bed - as has happened to you!

This is then a condition called Onycholysis (nail plate seperation) - It is not an infection and does not require a product treatment - It simply will grow out in time - as you have cut the nails back to where they are attached I would overlay them

However I would not add any extra length, this needs to grow out naturally ;)

Hth's

I'd be more worried that your big toes have fallen off!! lol.

As for the original poster - having not seen your toes normally without an overlay & seeing the ones you've posted, they just look to me like they have been trimmed very short. I cannot see any infection - at least not one shown by the photo. Onychophosis I think looks more like a horny growth of the cells of the nail bed - see pic....
Onychophosis

My guess is that since you've worn your overlay, your nails have grown somewhat, and by removing the overlay and trimming back down they look/feel much shorter than they would as a natural nail.

My toe nails look the same way to me; trimmed very short. Can't see any infection.. But I thought it might be Onychophosis because of the dead skin-like stuff I scraped out from underneath a couple of free edges and the part where my free edges apparently had moved towards the cuticle, fit the description of fungus - minus the discolored nails :confused: But after removing overlay and trimmed nails - they just look very trimmed?! :eek::lol:

And I don't tend to wear my overlay for very long periods without filing them down/freshen them up, so that can't be the reason :confused: Oh well.. I'll just try to leave them for a week or so, before I'll overlay them with a thin layer of l&p.

Thanks again for your input, geeks :hug:

I'm sorry hun, but I can't see what the difference is between having a french L&P or a french gel overlay on the toe nails - as you can see through them both - tell me what you think the differences are?
I do L&P french toes as a NNO with no problems.

Onychophosis

If you don't feel you want to overlay them at the moment, use lots of great conditioning cuticle oil, such as CND solar oil, then polish them for a week or two. Overlay again when the have some free edge growth.
If they were mine, I'd overlay them now with a french, just a small free edge of white thogh, and not let them grow so much before redoing them next time.
HTH's.
Hi Hun,
To be honest I don't know the difference either, it is just what I was taught at NSI, I think it is that L & P are porous and greenies are more likely to get in when wearer is in trainers and boots etc when feet can get hot and sweaty, where with gel there does not seem to be the same problem, so only stating what I was taught and advised, I have only ever used gels on toes, never had any problems with gels, never used l & p on toes so never come across any issuses with l & p on toes.
I am sticking with gel toes as they are so easy to do.
I hope our friends toes get back to normal soon.
Nice to chat all different views though.

I took off my gel overlays last night, and noticed exactly the same thing, but I know for a fact that the reason with mine is that they needed trimming desperately and I had a free edge that I have probably never had/seen before because I would have trimmed more regularly, also my toe nail was badly bruised from jogging and the strain of trainers on the toes, generally shoes which are against toe nails will have a tendency to force the nails upwards, this is what causes separation and bruising. I have trimmed mine down and just put polish on them. At least now I do not need to get bigger trainers...lol!!!!

Latest posts

Back