Toenail trauma advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
Yesterday whilst tidying up, I managed to hit my bare toe on something and then realised I'd hit it hard enough for it to bleed. After passing out (I'm phobic of blood!) when I was finally able to look at it, the blood came not from the nail plate under the free edge but has in fact somehow managed to cause a split in the centre of the plate by the eponychium; about 3 quarters of the way across the whole nail!
Any ideas or tips on how best to look after it?! The toe is still tender after a night, and the plate feels (from the minimal prodding of it I can bear) slightly loose, but not unattached.
So much for my recent brainwave of wanting to get round to practising my acrylic smile lines on my toes!! :( x

I would say go to your doctor and just have them check it, sometimes the will send you elsewhere like a podatrist. Just because your not really sure about how attached it is, disenfect and gauze wrap it if you have to wear shoes, other wise keep it clean and let it get some air if it is bleeding and cracked. Once you have doctors OK and its healed up a bit and not open and bleeding you can put a thin layer of l and p on it to help protect it and give it a bit of strength as it grows out.

I've knocked off my first toe nail from working in bad shoes, and once it grew out a bit I just extended it with product and had a normal natural looking enhancement. My toe didn't bleed but a day and I waited about two weeks for a bit of nail to grow back first. Doc checked off that there was no infection so I got it all fixed up. Just figured this might help you.

Rinse away any dried blood.
Dry gently with s tissue.
Strap the toe up firmly with a plaster.
Replace plaster every morning until your toe is less bruised.

Hope it feels better soon

See a doctor for advice.

From my own personal experience on a client, I had a client who had a partial nail avlasion and I told her to allow the nail bed to heal properly. Once it healed, I was able to make a new nail out of gel for her.

On a personal note, I used hard gel and then just SOG gel nail polish to strengthen my toe nails as I get thinned toe nails due to sporting activities (see runners feet as an example). It is now growing out quite nicely.

So if you are going to do a DIY repair, make sure the nail bed is healed properly and any inflammation is reduced making sure no infection is present -it can take about a month or so to clear- and then you can apply your enhancement that ideally should be easily removed with the least amount of abrasion/effort.

This video is how I extended her nail, although camera angle is a bit far away, the colour of the nail bed is the same as the nail.

20151005_193001.jpg

Latest posts

Back