Toenails, to buff or not to buff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezza1981

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for the boring post, last week I posted a thread about adding buffing onto my aftercare leaflet for manicures, A couple of people came back to me and said they wouldn't so I decided not to add it.

I am now doing my pedicure aftercare leaflet should I have buffing on there??? Or really is it best not to advise client to buff both finger and toenails??

Soz bit confused, they taught us at college to 'buff the nails 1/2 times per week with paste to stimulate blood circulation and promote growth' but reading through text books and on geek it would seem this might be better left off my leaflets.

Sorry its not more interesting:lol:

I offer my clients a choice to either choose polish or have their nails bare and buffed to a high shine. The option to buff was added for 2 types of customers:

1. Gentlemen (99.99% would not want polish on their nails obviously :))
2. Ladies who just want clean shiny nails (Buffing helps seal the layers of nail plate, which is good! And the shine lasts longer than clear top coat which may chip)

In your aftercare leaflet:
Perhaps tell them the benefits of buffing their nails, and inform them that you have this service too.
Hope this helps!

Hi we dont offer a stand alone buffing treatment.We use a product called Nails for Males for men which is a clear matt polish for men,it really looks like the client has no polish on yet protects the nails as well.

The ladies who dont want a cloured polish have a Nailtiques clear Protein coat(which is a treatment for nails and is clear)

We buff the nails during every manicure/pedicure,only lightly to improve circulation...HTH

If you buff the nails for the client then they seldom have to do much to bring them back to a high shine.

Instead of using all 3 sides of a three way buffer such as the 'girlfriend' natural nail buffer from CND, the client should only be encouraged to use the GREY side once or twice a week. This will also be good for their circulation and it will not thin the nailplate at all.

Every client should buy one and keep it handy.

I'm never sure why colleges still teach to use the archaic paste and chamois buffers when the modern equivilent is so much easier, less messy AND less abrasive! Old habits die hard I guess. It's just that hardly anyone uses these anymore.

I was taught this in my vtct mani and pedi course with the buffing paste. I never use the paste now, i just think its far too harsh.

Can you believe that some colleges still teach manicuring with the old fashioned sandpaper covered abrasives?? I mean, with all the modern soft lovey abrasives around to choose from, why would they still do that?

The modern abrasives are so much softer and less harsh to the free edge of the natural nail. They do not 'tear it up' and in fact in many cases they 'seal' the free edge and stop it from splitting.

If colleges are supposed to prepare individuals to work successfully in the modern market place (which is what I would be paying for if I did a college course) then they are failing abysmally in my opinion.

Can you believe that some colleges still teach manicuring with the old fashioned sandpaper covered abrasives?? I mean, with all the modern soft lovey abrasives around to choose from, why would they still do that?

The modern abrasives are so much softer and less harsh to the free edge of the natural nail. They do not 'tear it up' and in fact in many cases they 'seal' the free edge and stop it from splitting.

Yep we were taught in 2004 with chamois buffers, buffing paste and sandpaper covered files! The horror! :lol:

I'm never sure why colleges still teach to use the archaic paste and chamois buffers when the modern equivilent is so much easier, less messy AND less abrasive! Old habits die hard I guess. It's just that hardly anyone uses these anymore.

I cannot stand buffing paste and chamois buffers, they are such a waste of space. I taught all of my students with a 3 way buffer. There was no objection from college management as it was just a bit of updating.

The WHOLE college way of doing most things is very out-dated tbh. I'd love to go in and re write everything!!! lol.

If colleges are supposed to prepare individuals to work successfully in the modern market place (which is what I would be paying for if I did a college course) then they are failing abysmally in my opinion.

i wholeheartedly agree, ive not long finished my VTCT college course and thank god i'd found this site beforehand, or my techniques would be so outdated it would be amazing, the chamois and buffing paste and lots of other little things, its beyond me the money you pay for a supposed 'modern' course but yet its archaic some of the stuff they teach you, i had to bite my tongue frequently, because i'd questioned so many things, i think i was in danger of being thrown off the course !!!!

i wholeheartedly agree, ive not long finished my VTCT college course and thank god i'd found this site beforehand, or my techniques would be so outdated it would be amazing, the chamois and buffing paste and lots of other little things, its beyond me the money you pay for a supposed 'modern' course but yet its archaic some of the stuff they teach you, i had to bite my tongue frequently, because i'd questioned so many things, i think i was in danger of being thrown on the course !!!!

Learning from this site has that effect on people!! :lol:

Here, here, Geeg. I finished my course in June of this year after 9 months and I can honestly say I left with no confidence at all in my ability. If it wasn't for this site I would have given it all up totally - even though it cost me a lot of money! I've learnt far more by reading threads and tutorials!!

:hug:

Here, here, Geeg. I finished my course in June of this year after 9 months and I can honestly say I left with no confidence at all in my ability. If it wasn't for this site I would have given it all up totally - even though it cost me a lot of money! I've learnt far more by reading threads and tutorials!!

:hug:

That makes many of us feel all warm and fuzzy inside!! :hug:

Makes it all worth the effort so many put in to the site and in helping others.

So I will take it upon myself to say thank you for that, on behalf of all those

that give!! You know who you are ... and you know who you aren't!!
And so does everyone else!:lol:

Thanks so much for the great response people :hug: I really do appreciate it.

After alot of deliberation on what course to do to get the qualifications I need for this industry,I am paying alot of money to do my course. Well three individual courses to get a VTCT qualification, but to be honest I feel its only the basics and like you say very dated.

I have learnt so much more from having an open mind, not leaving all my learning to the classroom. I have learnt so much more by reading alot of varied text books from the industry and reading through thread after thread on the search field on this site, thanks everyone:).

I realise even though I am doing the VTCT there are alot more courses I will need to do to be as good as I can be. Im 26 and changing career,I really want to give this my best shot and i'm willing to do whatever I need to get where I wanna be.

So thanks again all, your imput is very much appreciated. I will leave the buffing off my aftercare and out of my treatments. So I can use the 3 way buffer on the natural nails? sorry but we have only just been introduced to these at college for enhancements.

So I can use the 3 way buffer on the natural nails? sorry but we have only just been introduced to these at college for enhancements.

Absolutely ... they are made for this as well as bringing a high shine to the enhancement product.

Yeah I was taught all the old fashioned stuff as well at college. I think the college courses were devised in the 70s and no-one´s bothered to update them! I did an ITEC beauty therapy course and didn´t bother going on to do the body therapy course as it was so clearly outdated - half the course seemed to be G5 massage machine (i´ve never come across a salon actually using that) and advice on diets (who goes to a beauty salon for weight loss advice - blah!). At nearly 3000 pounds for the course, I decided to take myself elsewhere and learn proper massage for a damn sight less money! I also went and did the Creative Spa Manicure and pedicure courses and discovered those handy 3-way buffers :lol:

I cannot stand buffing paste and chamois buffers, they are such a waste of space. I taught all of my students with a 3 way buffer. There was no objection from college management as it was just a bit of updating.

The WHOLE college way of doing most things is very out-dated tbh. I'd love to go in and re write everything!!! lol.

It's so true and such a shame that students are being taught out of date techniques, I would love to do the same.
Don't even get me started on my enhancement VTCT course:eek::lol:
Such a waste of peoples time, effort and money.
Maybe it will change soon for the better?
I really hope so because local colleges are getting a poor reputation by having hairdressers teaching nail enhancements around here. It may not be so bad if the tutors actually had the first idea what they were teaching and had some proper training!!:eek:
I told you not to get me started:lol:

I have learnt so much more from having an open mind, not leaving all my learning to the classroom. I have learnt so much more by reading alot of varied text books from the industry and reading through thread after thread on the search field on this site, thanks everyone:).

I realise even though I am doing the VTCT there are alot more courses I will need to do to be as good as I can be. Im 26 and changing career,I really want to give this my best shot and i'm willing to do whatever I need to get where I wanna be.

So thanks again all, your imput is very much appreciated. I will leave the buffing off my aftercare and out of my treatments. So I can use the 3 way buffer on the natural nails? sorry but we have only just been introduced to these at college for enhancements.

well hun, you will go far and do well then, i think the fact that you realised yourself you needed to have an open mind and learn outside the classroom , shows your a natural, so many girls on my course, thought that what the tutor was saying was 'the only way to do it' IYKWIM

I along with 2 others realised we needed more and learnt from the net, this site, getting books from the library etc, and it showed in our assessments the tutor even admitted it, as to how well we'd done compared to other past and present pupils, we'd put more in than needed but it showed a passion for the industry, i'm sure your the same hun

well done you, i'm sure you'll do really well

Latest posts

Back