Toilet legalities?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tink15

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of moving salon premises and the new one will be a complete refurb. So just drawing up plans, I'm short on space and needing to find out info on
a) Do you legally as a salon owner need to have a toilet/bathroom for customers?
b) I'm planning on putting a toilet/bathroom in to the cellar for staff, and customers would be free to use it of course. However I'm trying to find out if legally the toilet has to be accessible for disabled? being in the cellar people would need to go downstairs to use it.
If any one knows the answer to these questions or can point me in the direction of who to contact to get the answers.

Thanks

If there’s no toilet, where are you going to go?

So I'm planning on having a toilet, its just wouldn't be accessible to disabled?

It's all a bit of a grey area as far as I can tell. You might want to speak to your local CAB - they've produced this guide but again it's very vague about actual legalities of what you have to provide and what is reasonable.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/l...e-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/

I think I'd start with the actual access to your salon, is it wheelchair accessable? If not then there is not likely to be a requirement for a wheelchair accessable toilet as the wheelchair user couldn't access the salon anyway in the first place. That of course opens a whole new set of questions about whether you can create wheelchair accessability. Some properties just don't have the space/door access/ramp space/etc. I get the impression from reading the CAB stuff it's more a case of 'if it's possible, you should'

It's all a bit of a grey area as far as I can tell. You might want to speak to your local CAB - they've produced this guide but again it's very vague about actual legalities of what you have to provide and what is reasonable.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/l...e-reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-people/

I think I'd start with the actual access to your salon, is it wheelchair accessable? If not then there is not likely to be a requirement for a wheelchair accessable toilet as the wheelchair user couldn't access the salon anyway in the first place. That of course opens a whole new set of questions about whether you can create wheelchair accessability. Some properties just don't have the space/door access/ramp space/etc. I get the impression from reading the CAB stuff it's more a case of 'if it's possible, you should'

Thank you Trinity, you have been really helpful. Yes I have left CAB a message today so hopefully they can shed some more light. It’s a lot more easier to make door ok for wheelchairs & to have a ramp. It’s toilet that’s main issue. X

Thank you Trinity, you have been really helpful. Yes I have left CAB a message today so hopefully they can shed some more light. It’s a lot more easier to make door ok for wheelchairs & to have a ramp. It’s toilet that’s main issue. X

I think you need to consider the definition of 'reasonable' to you and your business specifically. If installing an accessible toilet would impact the floor space of your salon thus making you less profitable due to lack of space for a specific treatment room for example that wouldn't necessarily be reasonable. The CAB thing also mentions costs, if installing the bathroom would cost £1000 for instance, compared to £100 for a standard toilet, is that 'reasonable' for your business specifically. Its certainly not a black and white issue.

Let us know which route you take, I would be interested

We refurbished our building and building regs dictated what we needed. Disabled which doubles up as a ladies and a male. Staff and clients share. Ladies always use the men's too lol.

If your not getting building regs involved then you can utilise what's already there (existing)

But, IMO, putting a loo down the cellar, unless there's good lighting, quality stairs, hand rails, I wouldn't. For one a tripping hazard. Last thing you want is a claim from either staff or clients. Toilets need to be vented, a fan cones on when the lights on, then remains on for 5 mins after, you need to think about that too.

Cellars are natorious for damp. They need to be tanked properly to stop the damp coming through. Last thing you want is to spend on fitting a loo and it starts to smell all damp, it'll put people off IMO.

GL xx

Latest posts

Back