Told to use a pedicure blade or don't do pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll tell her that I don't think its right she's trying to force me to use the blade.

Even if she says she can't make me use it and its fine if I don't want to, she's still saying I have to if I want to do pedicures so it's me who has to compromise my treatment to make her happy.

She's said she wants me to be straight with her, which I am, but whatever I say she brings it back to using the blade! I know she's trying to convince me to use it, she assumes products like callus peel aren't good enough even though she hadn't heard of it until I mentioned it!
Xx

I give up! She liked the results for callus peel but didn't like the cuticle work, (said nippers give a cleaner finish) or that the pedicure took 1.5hrs.

Don't get my wrong, usually pedicures don't take me that long but this clients toe nails were long as thick probably due to her age so took a bit more work and I had added the callus peel.

But no, she wasn't happy overall but she is oh so generously, willing to let me trial pedicures until she's happy, THEN I can start charging full price. She wants me to use new files for every client, does anyone else do this? I use Mundo spray to clean them before and after each client isn't that any good?

I'm gonna go cry and throw my shellac lamp out a window along with everything else!

I give up! She liked the results for callus peel but didn't like the cuticle work, (said nippers give a cleaner finish) or that the pedicure took 1.5hrs.

Don't get my wrong, usually pedicures don't take me that long but this clients toe nails were long as thick probably due to her age so took a bit more work and I had added the callus peel.

But no, she wasn't happy overall but she is oh so generously, willing to let me trial pedicures until she's happy, THEN I can start charging full price. She wants me to use new files for every client, does anyone else do this? I use Mundo spray to clean them before and after each client isn't that any good?

I'm gonna go cry and throw my shellac lamp out a window along with everything else!

I brush the dust off my files, wash them. Leave to dry then spray with Mundo file & abrasive spray.

Don't give up hun, like I said I started in a salon like that, it was just a starting point for me to go onto bigger and better things. Just look at it as experience and I'm sure things will get better. Chin up :) xx

I brush the dust off my files, wash them. Leave to dry then spray with Mundo file & abrasive spray.

Don't give up hun, like I said I started in a salon like that, it was just a starting point for me to go onto bigger and better things. Just look at it as experience and I'm sure things will get better. Chin up :) xx

Yeah I brush off the dust and use the Mundo file & abrasive spray too, it's what I was shown to do on one of my courses so I stuck to it

I'm trying to stay positive but every time she comes back with something she's unhappy with, at the time I know I did everything I could've done, but she just made me feel like a failure. I kinda wanted to throw my nail clippers at her and tell her she should do everything from now on then and let me go home to sleep
Xx

Yeah I brush off the dust and use the Mundo file & abrasive spray too, it's what I was shown to do on one of my courses so I stuck to it

I'm trying to stay positive but every time she comes back with something she's unhappy with, at the time I know I did everything I could've done, but she just made me feel like a failure. I kinda wanted to throw my nail clippers at her and tell her she should do everything from now on then and let me go home to sleep
Xx

But your self employed, you shouldn't be taking orders and direction from her. If it was me I would leave! She can't tell you to charge half price since she doesn't like your work, your losing money. :/

But your self employed, you shouldn't be taking orders and direction from her. If it was me I would leave! She can't tell you to charge half price since she doesn't like your work, your losing money. :/

I couldn't agree more Jen, I'd tell her it was my way or to get stuffed! She wants to boss someone around like an employee but doesn't want all the bother of the paperwork, taxes etc.

Cake and eat it comes to mind....

Karaxxx

So I came home and told the tale to my sister and I cried, a lot lol

I'm paranoid she's right and maybe I'm not good enough and that's the real reason my friends won't let me do their nails lol. I'm annoyed at myself for letting her speak to me the way she does and annoyed at how much I'm letting it get to me. I want to pack up my stuff and tell her to do one but at the same time I don't want to mess around the clients I do have by moving again. And then I think it would be easier to pack the lot up and turn my part time supermarket job into a full time one :(
Xx

So I came home and told the tale to my sister and I cried, a lot lol

I'm paranoid she's right and maybe I'm not good enough and that's the real reason my friends won't let me do their nails lol. I'm annoyed at myself for letting her speak to me the way she does and annoyed at how much I'm letting it get to me. I want to pack up my stuff and tell her to do one but at the same time I don't want to mess around the clients I do have by moving again. And then I think it would be easier to pack the lot up and turn my part time supermarket job into a full time one :(
Xx

You shouldn't feel like this, no one should be allowed to make you feel like your crap. Your letting her get to you and its really time to pack up and get out. Your clients will understand and if some don't then that's OK too as you will gain better clients. Never be scared to better your situation. This is business girl and you need to make money. I sure as heck don't go in to offer things for free or half price. I have bills to pay and rent that is owed, I'm sure its the same for you.

Yes, its a hard decision but its one you really have to make. Get out and your confidence with soar! You'll see how fast that full time supermarket job thought is ridiculous. Your doing something you love and I am sure your great at what you do. She can take her old school ways and shove it!

*hug*

You shouldn't feel like this, no one should be allowed to make you feel like your crap. Your letting her get to you and its really time to pack up and get out. Your clients will understand and if some don't then that's OK too as you will gain better clients. Never be scared to better your situation. This is business girl and you need to make money. I sure as heck don't go in to offer things for free or half price. I have bills to pay and rent that is owed, I'm sure its the same for you.

Yes, its a hard decision but its one you really have to make. Get out and your confidence with soar! You'll see how fast that full time supermarket job thought is ridiculous. Your doing something you love and I am sure your great at what you do. She can take her old school ways and shove it!

*hug*

Thank you *hugs back* :)
My sister and mum have said that I should look for a space somewhere else, it is frustrating because I left a salon I was just getting comfortable in to move to this space and I had high hopes and now I just feel I rushed into it and I'm regretting it. I know I had some problems with the salon I was in previous to this but at least they let me do my job as I saw fit and never made me feel like I can't/shouldn't be doing it
Xx

If it's not working at this place then it doesn't make it your fault by any means, don't let this knock your confidence it's awful how you've been made to feel. Things like this make us tougher in the long run:p you work for YOU and you make your own decisions, I like to think that's the biggest perk to be honest cos it's not easy being self employed. Hope you're ok x

If it's not working at this place then it doesn't make it your fault by any means, don't let this knock your confidence it's awful how you've been made to feel. Things like this make us tougher in the long run:p you work for YOU and you make your own decisions, I like to think that's the biggest perk to be honest cos it's not easy being self employed. Hope you're ok x

Thank you, I'm fine I'm just having a moment of doubt but I'll probably wake up tomorrow and think 'what the hell was all that about?!' And then get on with things and look for somewhere else, I'm going to be learning to drive soon so being mobile will become an option to think about
Xx

I could be wrong but I think what you are referring to is a credo blade which is used to slice off the hard skin.

This is illegal in some American and Canadian States.

Now before I start a ruddy great debate from those techs trained to use one, for a point of argument for the OP, it must be illegal in those states for a reason?

At the end of the day if you are self employed she has no right to dictate how you do things unless she wants to employ you. So either tell her to bog off or read the writing on the wall and decipher that this relationship is just not going to work and move on.

I could be wrong but I think what you are referring to is a credo blade which is used to slice off the hard skin.

This is illegal in some American and Canadian States.

Now before I start a ruddy great debate from those techs trained to use one, for a point of argument for the OP, it must be illegal in those states for a reason?

At the end of the day if you are self employed she has no right to dictate how you do things unless she wants to employ you. So either tell her to bog off or read the writing on the wall and decipher that this relationship is just not going to work and move on.

I think even if she did back off now I'd still feel uncomfortable around her but I'll try talking to her one last time before I decide whether to look elsewhere.
Yeah I think it is a credo blade that's what came up when I googled it and it looks like what she uses. I thinks she's accepted I won't be using one but she's unhappy about something else so around we go
Xx

I am sorry your having a hard time. Don't think of this experience as a bad thing, think how strong you are being by sticking to your principals, and not using a knife. Well done you.

I was trained to use a knife (quite a while ago) and after training used it once on myself, I thought it a horrible tool, and have never used it since. I personally think it is a chiropodist tool and not a manicure tool. Whilst Callus Peel looks like a fab product, I agree with earlier posts, that our job is to beautify. If the hard skin is that bad, and toenails very thick and overgrown then, even though I am capable of dealing with it, they should see a chiropodist.
Well done those of you who do tackle these issues, perhaps I am just shallow, and prefer the pretty side of the role.

I am sorry your having a hard time. Don't think of this experience as a bad thing, think how strong you are being by sticking to your principals, and not using a knife. Well done you.

I was trained to use a knife (quite a while ago) and after training used it once on myself, I thought it a horrible tool, and have never used it since. I personally think it is a chiropodist tool and not a manicure tool. Whilst Callus Peel looks like a fab product, I agree with earlier posts, that our job is to beautify. If the hard skin is that bad, and toenails very thick and overgrown then, even though I am capable of dealing with it, they should see a chiropodist.
Well done those of you who do tackle these issues, perhaps I am just shallow, and prefer the pretty side of the role.

One of the toenails was especially bad because of how thick and overgrown it was my first thought was 'should I even touch that?' But because I didn't want to give her an excuse I managed to get it to a decent length and it took extra time but she's talking as though it shouldn't have, I did try to be as fast as I could but at first that nail was going no where, I let it soak for longer and clipped it bit by bit until I could file it into shape.

I also like the pretty side of the role, it's the beauty industry after all. Making feet, hands and nails look and feel pretty is my job, not slicing skin off and hacking at toenails whose clippings could break windows.

I think she thinks because I'm a nail technician I should be dealing with every problem a client could show up with. Sometimes people would be better off seeing a chiropodist but I don't think she'd accept that.
I think I'm going to start looking elsewhere, I'm just going around in circles with her and I'm dizzy and fed up
Xx

My first boss was exactly like that-always on top of me, wanting to have everything done her way, even though I also was self employed there. I was just out of school and didn't know any better, I tried VERY hard to make it work, because I loved my job and the clients I had. I was scared that I wouldn't find another job. Finally after 1.5 years it just came to a point where I couldn't stand the constant nagging, the lectures, no respect for me as a professional. And let me tell you-leaving that place was the best thing that happened to me! I thought-why in the world I didn't do it sooner, lol! I found another job that same week, a great place with great employees that treated each other well and had respect for everyone.
Yes, it did made me much stronger person, but sometimes you honestly just need to move on. I've dealt with people like her after too, and trust me, there is no changing them. It's better to find a place better suited for you, that makes you happy to be there and appreciated. And we'll, just lets you do your job! :)
Good luck!

Is this woman off an older age?

Iv been having the same problem off my land lady. She's 58 and has the hairdressers in above.

She was telling me to use a blade and even went home to get me one for her mother in law. I felt so uncomfortable.

She even on another client removed there corn because I refused to do it.

It's very irritating but il be leaving soon as I'm sick of the grief and being told how to run my business and do my job!

She trained 20 years ago? So, that's 1994? I've been in hair and beauty a similar amount of time. I've kept some habits and I've ditched a few too. I've also learned lots from working with other hairdressers and therapists.

You want to be working with someone who is enthusiastic about you and your knowledge, and someone who encourages clients to have treatments with you.

Every industry moves with the times to keep things fresh and exciting, while keeping up with rules and regulations. Can you be confident that she's up do date?

As much as she's saying her name is on the door, she is also a reflection on your name and if her attitude and actions are becoming detrimental to your business then you need to address this.

I'd leave her in the dark ages and go find a salon you'll thrive in.

You've had some great advise. We smooth not remove as the body will go into shock and produce more keratin so in no time at all the hardness will return and become tougher. So give her the facts. Good luck, she's putting you in a very differicult situation. I feel for you

They certainly were not teaching people to use Credo blades on city and guilds.I trained 30 years ago and know various people who have trained since and have been lecturers in Vtct as well as city and guilds,NVQ and none of them have been told to train or train others using a credo blade on the pedicure syllabus.
So I think this has just been a personal choice.

Latest posts

Back