Tone base and bleach at the same time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules79

Reaction score
Can I do the following: step 1- wet the hair. Step 2- all over toner/gloss. Step 3- balayage the ends with a lightener. Step 4- process. Step 5- rinse, shampoo, blow dry, style.

Why would you double process the hair with colour then bleach? You’d need to tone after bleaching the hair.

Why would you double process the hair with colour then bleach? You’d need to tone after bleaching the hair.

Well here’s what’s goin on... she had her hair bleached all over from a different stylist and it is super brassy. She wants to be more ashy and is considering partial balayage as well. I would need to tone the brass, balayage and tone again. I just thought it wouldn’t matter if I tone and bleach at the same time. I’ve see. Stylists do shadow root the same time as the bleach application.

I guess I missed a step. After processing, rinse, then tone the ends, process and rinse, conditioner blow dry style.

Root shadow is different because you’re only softly blending the bleach and the root tint where they meet.

What level is it currently? 7/8/9?

I’d say 7. I’ll attach a pic of her current hair and an inspiration pic
89E83D7F-65EB-49E1-8269-86B745622057.jpeg
8B573E3E-A9DE-44C7-84D4-3367F8820D4B.jpeg

That’s a major colour correction from her current hair colour.

I know ‍♀️ She’s on a budget. So I told her I can do one or 2 shades darker all over. Or that and partial balayage. What do u suggest??

I’d say 7. I’ll attach a pic of her current hair and an inspiration pic
View attachment 208592View attachment 208593
Id be inclined to do a full head scattering of highlights, while these are processing, apply a demi/quasi in between to bring the base down to at least a 6. Then once this is processed, rinse, shodow the root with a 5 again depending on how dark your client really wants to go, and then apply a toner over the mid lengths and ends, that is going to clean up the highlights, blending the two together.

I know ‍♀️ She’s on a budget. So I told her I can do one or 2 shades darker all over. Or that and partial balayage. What do u suggest??

Glad you’ve given her options that sit within her budget.
Don’t do someone’s hair for a discount as it’s rarely appreciated, especially by so called friends!

You defiantly don’t need to tone before bleach as you need to lift the hair first to at least a level 9 for the toner if you want the ends a nice ash or beige blonde. I agree with Ronray with this technique sounds like a good service to go with x

Latest posts

Back