Toner advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodles91

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just need a bit of advice, I’m fully qualified for over 20 years but as I’m new to using Koleston colours need some help. I have an old client that I haven’t done for years that has contacted me by email to say she’s basically messed her hair up during lockdown and needs it correcting, now I haven’t even agreed to do it yet as I haven’t seen the condition of it, she popping in next week for me to look at it! If it’s in bad condition I won’t be touching it, this is what she has sent me, I get the impression she just wants to grow out the natural grey? Any help on toner colour would be much appreciated, was thinking of baby lights all over and toning??
Basically she’s let the roots grow out during lockdown, said she has put a colour remover on it (without bleach) apparently and it’s gone orange ! Then she’s put a colour over the top so now it’s yellow! Pictures attached

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C8BB6340-73E1-4EC3-8EBA-330670747C83.jpeg
    C8BB6340-73E1-4EC3-8EBA-330670747C83.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 43
  • CAB07D21-50DB-408A-AF50-7CD5DE48E20B.jpeg
    CAB07D21-50DB-408A-AF50-7CD5DE48E20B.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 40
  • D2C16F56-45C5-446B-977D-A3CCCA81C5AC.jpeg
    D2C16F56-45C5-446B-977D-A3CCCA81C5AC.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi Guys

Just need a bit of advice, I’m fully qualified for over 20 years but as I’m new to using Koleston colours need some help. I have an old client that I haven’t done for years that has contacted me by email to say she’s basically messed her hair up during lockdown and needs it correcting, now I haven’t even agreed to do it yet as I haven’t seen the condition of it, she popping in next week for me to look at it! If it’s in bad condition I won’t be touching it, this is what she has sent me, I get the impression she just wants to grow out the natural grey? Any help on toner colour would be much appreciated, was thinking of baby lights all over and toning??
Basically she’s let the roots grow out during lockdown, said she has put a colour remover on it (without bleach) apparently and it’s gone orange ! Then she’s put a colour over the top so now it’s yellow! Pictures attached

Thanks in advance

Bump

Firstly, strand test as it’s been box dyed and make sure you do a skin test too.

All colour clients returning after lockdown need skin testing in case they’ve had Covid as it’s known to affect the immune system and there’s been cases of previously ok clients reacting badly to colour services as their immune system has been compromised. With some people being asymptomatic, they won’t know if they’ve had it or not, so you’re covering yourself if you insist on skin testing.

Of course it went orange after using a colour reducer. She’s probably a level 6/7 naturally. Unfortunately, this is what happens when clients use colour products without any understanding of the chemistry behind them. If you’re not experienced with Colour Reducers either, then maybe read my guide as an introduction.

https://www.salongeek.com/threads/colour-reducers-versus-colour-strippers.315126/
Depending on what it looks like close up and the overall condition, I might use a colour reducer to remove the box dye or possibly a mild bleach bath. You’ll still be left with banding from the root so you’ll need to treat the roots separately.

Latest posts

Back