Toner advice, seeing warmth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJSinger

Reaction score
I would just like a bit of advice please.

I did not train with toners as they were not really around when I trained! Everything I have learnt has been from experience, Salon Geek, online and tips from other hairdressers.

I use Montibello range and I just want to know where I am going wrong please?

I have noticed lately when I am applying my toner that it is just creating warmth on the hair that is not lifted (mainly on the root area). So for example if I do a full head of highlights, the hair at the root is being lifted slightly by the toner (I assume) creating warmth in between the lifted foiled highlights.

The toner is doing its job in that the bleached hair I have foiled tones beautifully. It is just that look of warmth in between that I am struggling with

What am I doing wrong? I usually use 10vol, so I tried using 6vol but that did not work really. It just wasn’t toning the bleached hair.

Some advice would be great please

Thanks in advance

I would just like a bit of advice please.

I did not train with toners as they were not really around when I trained! Everything I have learnt has been from experience, Salon Geek, online and tips from other hairdressers.

I use Montibello range and I just want to know where I am going wrong please?

I have noticed lately when I am applying my toner that it is just creating warmth on the hair that is not lifted (mainly on the root area). So for example if I do a full head of highlights, the hair at the root is being lifted slightly by the toner (I assume) creating warmth in between the lifted foiled highlights.

The toner is doing its job in that the bleached hair I have foiled tones beautifully. It is just that look of warmth in between that I am struggling with

What am I doing wrong? I usually use 10vol, so I tried using 6vol but that did not work really. It just wasn’t toning the bleached hair.

Some advice would be great please

Thanks in advance
Are you using a permanent tint to tone?
As this will create shift in the natural hair.
Even if it's mixed with 6vol. The lift is in the tube, not the developer.
You need to be using a demi permanent / quasi to tone or even a direct dye / semi permanent which aren't mixed with developers at all.

Yep have always used permanent as I was never trained in toners. I know heaps of hairdressers that use permanent so it is good to know where I am going wrong, will start using demi. Even with semi don't you still need to mix with a developer? Any you would recommend? I see a lot of people on here use the Wella range and that is what I trained in.

Thinking out loud here, I see Loreal Dialight is a good one to use. I will give that a go if anyone has any experience with those. Thanks

Yep have always used permanent as I was never trained in toners. I know heaps of hairdressers that use permanent so it is good to know where I am going wrong, will start using demi. Even with semi don't you still need to mix with a developer? Any you would recommend? I see a lot of people on here use the Wella range and that is what I trained in.
Colour touch is a demi also known as a quasi depending on how you were trained, it's my go to toner range with 1.9% Dialight is similar.
A true semi permanent isn't mixed with anything else. For example wella colour fresh is applied straight out the bottle.... Crazy colour is similar.

You say toners weren’t around when you qualified. Have you attended any colour classes recently?
It’s important to keep up to date with the latest products and techniques and most hair and beauty wholesalers run inexpensive short courses run by qualified trainers. Some are even free to attend.

Sorry I did not see this until now. Yeah it is something I am always looking out for but it has been tough during Covid. I learn a hell of a lot online and have learnt so much from online info etc. I was just after a bit of advice on this one and have found what I was looking for :) Thanks

Montibello do a range called denuee which is for toning. Using the 1.7% therefore will cause no lift to the natural only to thee lightened areas.

> I have noticed lately when I am applying my toner that it is just creating warmth on the hair that is not lifted (mainly on the root area). So for example if I do a full head of highlights, the hair at the root is being lifted slightly by the toner (I assume) creating warmth in between the lifted foiled highlights.

Can I ask what you're using for a toner? I've seen this happen while using perms as toners. I was trained to call this base breaking however we call this a tint toner where I currently work.

So where I work uses Koleston Perfect and Colour Touch by wella. CT is what we usually use for toning as its a "Semi" (I quote it because lets be real its not a true semi). I never see this with that. When tint toning I have.

From my understanding anything with developer has the potential to lift the natural hair underneith, potentially revealing ther underlining pigments. A lot of our tint toners get shampooed with violot based shampoos to help this. I'm still an apprentice (my salon does 5 year apprenticeships) but hopefully my small information helps.

> I have noticed lately when I am applying my toner that it is just creating warmth on the hair that is not lifted (mainly on the root area). So for example if I do a full head of highlights, the hair at the root is being lifted slightly by the toner (I assume) creating warmth in between the lifted foiled highlights.

Can I ask what you're using for a toner? I've seen this happen while using perms as toners. I was trained to call this base breaking however we call this a tint toner where I currently work.

So where I work uses Koleston Perfect and Colour Touch by wella. CT is what we usually use for toning as its a "Semi" (I quote it because lets be real its not a true semi). I never see this with that. When tint toning I have.

From my understanding anything with developer has the potential to lift the natural hair underneith, potentially revealing ther underlining pigments. A lot of our tint toners get shampooed with violot based shampoos to help this. I'm still an apprentice (my salon does 5 year apprenticeships) but hopefully my small information helps.
The reason is because the power is in the tube, not the bottle. So even with a 1.9% developer, it will still lift. That's why it's definitely much more advisable to use colour touch with 1.9% as a toner instead of koleston.

Thanks everyone I am now using Loreal Dialight and they are working beautifully

Latest posts

Back