Toner burning!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colouredcopper

Reaction score
Hello!
Today I did a clients hair from a deep red brown to a blonde of about a base 8, I've done it a few times with no problems and after bleaching I've been using 10/8 as a toner (Koleston) Today I couldn't find any 10/8 so I used 9/8 with 3% instead and although it seemed to do the same job colour wise, after being on about 2 minutes my client began to complain of burning. The lady insisted I didn't take it off and I could see it needed slightly longer so I left it. By the time it had had 5 minutes my client was nearly in tears and we had to take it off despite her telling me not to...

Apart from the scalp being sensitive from the bleach, is there any other reason this happened?

R u using Wellas peroxide a a different brand x

R u using Wellas peroxide a a different brand x
I've always used sallys peroxide and never had a problem x

Hiya!
What bleach do you use? What strength peroxide? (Assuming sallys for that too?)
Had they had bleach on their scalp before? How long was it on?
Time of the month/hormones can make people more sensitive.
Also, using the correct brand of peroxide is alot more comfortable for the client X

Hiya!
What bleach do you use? What strength peroxide? (Assuming sallys for that too?)
Had they had bleach on their scalp before? How long was it on?
Time of the month/hormones can make people more sensitive.
Also, using the correct brand of peroxide is alot more comfortable for the client X

The bleach was blondor 6% on roots and mids, 9% mids and ends as it was really randomly coloured from box colours (yes, I did incompatibility test) She'd only had bleach highlights before, nothing on scalp. It was on 40/45 mins. Oh, I never knew about hormones, thanks for letting me know!x

I'd be wary of not using the manufacturer's brand of peroxide with the bleach.

If you had a client experience a severe reaction and wanted to sue, your insurance company could refuse to help by arguing that you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on. This would apply even if the reason for the reaction was not caused by the peroxide. Insurance companies love their get out clauses!

The cost of branded peroxide isn't that much more and it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Also, I honestly think that using a generic brand of peroxide does affect the performance of some bleaches and tints quite noticeably.

Also, I would personally recommend swapping to TiGi Copyright Colour bleach. It's available in most wholesalers.
It's a powder bleach that can be used on or off scalp and is gentle but powerful.

I really like it and it saves having to buy two types of bleach.

Also, I would personally recommend swapping to TiGi Copyright Colour bleach. It's available in most wholesalers.
It's a powder bleach that can be used on or off scalp and is gentle but powerful.

I really like it and it saves having to buy two types of bleach.
I've heard a lot about this before and never had the guts to change to it! Is it good for full head dark to platinum type of clients? Thanks!

I just went out and bought some tigi bleach and gota say its pretty good. Just tried it on myself and it lifted my base 5 roots up really quick and no orange tones either, which is what usually happens with other bleaches.

I just went out and bought some tigi bleach and gota say its pretty good. Just tried it on myself and it lifted my base 5 roots up really quick and no orange tones either, which is what usually happens with other bleaches.
Oh wow, definitely going to have to try some! Do you have to use high % to lift with tigi? I use blondor and it seems not to lift very well sometimes

Why did you leave it on if it was burning* how ridiculous. If my client complained of burning it would be off straight away. Yet another stylist letting their clients rule them when YOU are the one with the qualification. I believe if you go through the hair threads you will find one stylist currently under threat of legal action because they let a client tell them what to do.

Please stop using generic peroxides. You are opening yourself up to a load of ramifications.

just me ;)

You burnt her scalp babe, then bullied her into letting you keep burning her. At best, she's at home with a sore head crying, at worst she's on the phone to lawyers4us.

Just because you used a bleach/product on one person, doesn't mean you will be able to do the same on everyone. If a client is uncomfortable YOU REACT, and get it off.

Oh wow, definitely going to have to try some! Do you have to use high % to lift with tigi? I use blondor and it seems not to lift very well sometimes

That's because your using the wella peroxide with it! X

You burnt her scalp babe, then bullied her into letting you keep burning her. At best, she's at home with a sore head crying, at worst she's on the phone to lawyers4us.

Just because you used a bleach/product on one person, doesn't mean you will be able to do the same on everyone. If a client is uncomfortable YOU REACT, and get it off.

Here here! X

I'm actually quite shocked at this post have you got much colouring experience ? :/

Spoken to my client guys, thought I'd fill you in on the latest progressions. She's informed me that she's changed medication and has been experiencing a sensitive scalp and face, however didn't think it was relevant to tell me! But she's fine now and loving her new colour! However, when I was at college we always used generic peroxides and never had an issue. Also, to reply to those who seem to think I've burned my client by mal practice. No drama here, just a simple misunderstanding between client and stylist.

I'm actually quite shocked at this post have you got much colouring experience ? :/
Yes, I do. Although, I have never had a situation like this!

Spoken to my client guys, thought I'd fill you in on the latest progressions. She's informed me that she's changed medication and has been experiencing a sensitive scalp and face, however didn't think it was relevant to tell me! But she's fine now and loving her new colour! However, when I was at college we always used generic peroxides and never had an issue. Also, to reply to those who seem to think I've burned my client by mal practice. No drama here, just a simple misunderstanding between client and stylist.

Your client was practically crying with pain. Think that's a drama in itself

just me ;)

Your client was practically crying with pain. Think that's a drama in itself

just me ;)

Well, after speaking to her she doesn't seem fazed by it at all and has already booked her regrowth. But, I've definitely learned something from it :p

Just because college teaches you bad habits doesnt mean you shouldnt think for yourself and go further to being a better hairdresser. Using correct brand peroxides means your insurance is valid if anything like this ever got taken to court.

Latest posts

Back