Toner help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzzi

Reaction score
Hi there im a new member , i am after some advice on Goldwell toners please or recommendations on another toner , im doing a family members foil bleach highlights , base around 6/7 with unknown home dark colour on the ends possibly half way ....would like blond highlights unclear if that means cream blond or just lightening the dark she has ... i use Goldwelll bleach and 30vol peroxide , should they go desperately orange / golden ... what toner will counteract im thinking Goldwell 10P or a v ....? semi permanent colourance .
Its been along time since iv used toners as they scare me so much ... so i need some re training i think ...
im going to do a strand test first as im concerned how the roots minlengths and ends will take .. all differently im presuming hence a toner would be good to save the day..
its curly touching shoulders length hair , any advice be really appreciated , many thanks x

Hi there im a new member , i am after some advice on Goldwell toners please or recommendations on another toner , im doing a family members foil bleach highlights , base around 6/7 with unknown home dark colour on the ends possibly half way ....would like blond highlights unclear if that means cream blond or just lightening the dark she has ... i use Goldwelll bleach and 30vol peroxide , should they go desperately orange / golden ... what toner will counteract im thinking Goldwell 10P or a v ....? semi permanent colourance .
Its been along time since iv used toners as they scare me so much ... so i need some re training i think ...
im going to do a strand test first as im concerned how the roots minlengths and ends will take .. all differently im presuming hence a toner would be good to save the day..
its curly touching shoulders length hair , any advice be really appreciated , many thanks x
Have a look at these toners, obviously u will have to work out what base u can get to first as to what toner to mix & what shade u want to achieve.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• 50B2A74F-5856-414D-838C-8D7A18C13870.jpeg
    50B2A74F-5856-414D-838C-8D7A18C13870.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 76
As @Jungle mentioned, you'll need to base your toner on the level you've managed to lift the hair to.
I will suggest that when foiling, you use a much lower developer on the natural hair than the dark ends. You may find that you'll have to tone the ends differently to the natural. I strongly advise you do a strand test. If you only manage to lift the ends to a 7 (yellow-orange) and the natural lifts to a 9 (pale yellow) then you will obviously need to tone the lighter bits down to match the ends. A toner will never make a darker warmer colour, lighter and cooler just because you apply a lighter cooler shade :) hope you find this helpful

Thank you Ronray really helpful , im really nervous over this .... i agree apply a lower developer to the natural hair .
so would any toner neutralise the yellow ??
Alternatively what tint could i use to lighten ? or to a lighter brown ? many thanks again

Thank you Ronray really helpful , im really nervous over this .... i agree apply a lower developer to the natural hair .
so would any toner neutralise the yellow ??
Alternatively what tint could i use to lighten ? or to a lighter brown ? many thanks again
I would plant to use something like bleach +3% on root area, and 9% on darker coloured ends. Then plan to tone the roots with something like a neutral base 8 and tone the ends with a blue violet level 8.

Tint won't lift tint generally. The only other option is to look at using magma by wella :)

Thank you again , im going to do a strand test with bleach and see if she likes the colour as is , shes a teen so who knows ! ... if not plan B is to get a toner and test that on the tested hair ... im only familiar with goldwell products so not to sure what the number could be for toning ..... or would be a base 8 colourance ...

Thank you again , im going to do a strand test with bleach and see if she likes the colour as is , shes a teen so who knows ! ... if not plan B is to get a toner and test that on the tested hair ... im only familiar with goldwell products so not to sure what the number could be for toning ..... or would be a base 8 colourance ...
Yeah personally I would always tone after lifting from such a dark uneven colour. You're almost guaranteed to get a lighter cleaner colour on the natural. Yes an 8N I believe is what it would be in goldwell :)

so a 8N colourance over the highlights would help even the colour

so a 8N colourance over the highlights would help even the colour
Yeah but obviously you'd put it on the lighter hair first, and then probably add some cool tone to it to go over then ends.

would that not make it darker ?
use with colourance lotion 40 lotion /20 colourance ratio ... thank you

would that not make it darker ?
use with colourance lotion 40 lotion /20 colourance ratio ... thank you
Toners won't make hair lighter?
When toning you should aim to tone the hair to the Same level or 1 shade darker. Thai isn't just a straight forward highlights, this is essentially a colour correction.

ok thank you im going to do the strand test and take a view .... im dreading it

ok thank you im going to do the strand test and take a view .... im dreading it
If you don't feel confident, don't do it.
Take very fine sections, and it will lift better.

i have no other colours to use after i do the foiling , so ill do the strand test first and see what she thinks , if she likes the colour be it yellow gold or blond .... or what ever it turns out .... or if not ill have to order something to go over it and do it another day , but i def think its best to test first and go from there , i think she sticks all sorts on her hair , typical uni teen so maybe she won't be as fussy as me ... anyway ill keep you posted if you don't mind ... and thank you for advice

I do have these 2 toners
PULPRIOT Violet toner ( high speed )
PULPRIOT Natural Toner (high speed )
10vol
i used the natural one on my daughters bleach foils they were lovely , i thought it would tone a little but it did in fact take the highlights to a brown after just 10 min ..... i then had to re foil her hair 3 days later as her highlights had gone ....
i did the violet on mine but after just 30 seconds was going purple so i got it off ...
i must have chosen so wrong ... hence im scared of what to use next ...

I do have these 2 toners
PULPRIOT Violet toner ( high speed )
PULPRIOT Natural Toner (high speed )
10vol
i used the natural one on my daughters bleach foils they were lovely , i thought it would tone a little but it did in fact take the highlights to a brown after just 10 min ..... i then had to re foil her hair 3 days later as her highlights had gone ....
i did the violet on mine but after just 30 seconds was going purple so i got it off ...
i must have chosen so wrong ... hence im scared of what to use next ...
I'm assuming high speed means they are rapid toners. Most rapid toners are only meant to process for a maximum of 10mins.
Keep these handy when you do her hair. If you're going to use them, start with the ends and apply the violet. And then apply the natural straight on the root. Leave for no longer than 10 mins.

yes they are rapid toners no numbers just violet and natural which went light brown on my daughters highlights

Latest posts

Back