Toner ideas for 'dirty' blond

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joevandish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum (well I signed up a while ago when I started training) but this is my first time posting.

I've had lots of experience bleaching hair (mainly my own lol) but I'm always a little overambitious with what I can achieve using the range we stock in the salon (koleston and colour touch).

I'm planning on lightening my hair this weekend while on lockdown to a level 9 or 10, but would like to achieve a very natural looking medium blond , ideally an ash gold.

In the past I've always experienced either one of the following scenarios:

1) Lift to a level 8/9 with blondor , then tone with a CT ash in the basin. The last time I attempted this the colour grabbed horribly after just a few minutes and I was left with a very gungy grey . I think I used the 8/81.

2) lift to level 10 and time with a neutral in level 10... Which works but leaves me longing for a 'dirtier' shade of blonde :/

What is really love to know is you guys' experience with creating these kinds of colours on a pre-lightened base.
I do love clean platinum whites, but I'm confident I can achieve that. What is love to know is how to get the kind of medium dark blond without pulling too ashy/silver muck colour.

My manager says this is really hard to pull off correctly, but I'm determined to pull it off. He's a great mentor and I love him, but I can't help but feeling he's a bit of a one trick pony with his toning. It's true that in our salon we don't get too many requests for this kind of blonde so I know I lack experience here.

Could you guys suggest any formulas which have worked for you in the past? I'm open to trying other brands than wella as I'm interested to see what else is out there.

I've seen that dialight does a 10.13 milkshake which looks lovely, if not a bit light. Has anyone has any experience with this?

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks so much!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum (well I signed up a while ago when I started training) but this is my first time posting.

I've had lots of experience bleaching hair (mainly my own lol) but I'm always a little overambitious with what I can achieve using the range we stock in the salon (koleston and colour touch).

I'm planning on lightening my hair this weekend while on lockdown to a level 9 or 10, but would like to achieve a very natural looking medium blond , ideally an ash gold.

In the past I've always experienced either one of the following scenarios:

1) Lift to a level 8/9 with blondor , then tone with a CT ash in the basin. The last time I attempted this the colour grabbed horribly after just a few minutes and I was left with a very gungy grey . I think I used the 8/81.

2) lift to level 10 and time with a neutral in level 10... Which works but leaves me longing for a 'dirtier' shade of blonde :/

What is really love to know is you guys' experience with creating these kinds of colours on a pre-lightened base.
I do love clean platinum whites, but I'm confident I can achieve that. What is love to know is how to get the kind of medium dark blond without pulling too ashy/silver muck colour.

My manager says this is really hard to pull off correctly, but I'm determined to pull it off. He's a great mentor and I love him, but I can't help but feeling he's a bit of a one trick pony with his toning. It's true that in our salon we don't get too many requests for this kind of blonde so I know I lack experience here.

Could you guys suggest any formulas which have worked for you in the past? I'm open to trying other brands than wella as I'm interested to see what else is out there.

I've seen that dialight does a 10.13 milkshake which looks lovely, if not a bit light. Has anyone has any experience with this?

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks so much!
8/81 over a level 9 would leave you with a grey tone just because of the depositing and tonal qualities of the shade chosen.
I think your best option would be to lift the hair to a level 10. And then tone the hair with KP 10/97 + 8/97 equal amounts.
Your other option would be KP 9/17.
Or you could try CT 9/16 (1parts) + 8/0 (2 parts).
Another would be CT 10/6 + 8/71 equal amounts.
It depends what kind of dirty blonde you're after.
Do you have a picture?
There are plenty of options when it comes to wella, it's so versatile.

Wow, thank you so much for giving me so many options.
Apologies for not being really specific about the colour I'm hoping to achieve in my first post. I absolutely love the .97 colours in koleston but hadn't even considered them for toning.... I think I've just got use to obsessing over the CT shade chart lol. That said, I have both the 10/6 (which is my go to for neutralising yellow) and the 8/71 available to me. I'll definitely do a strand test of that mix, because to be honest, I've always steered clear of it as an individual colour. I'm excited to see how it goes though.

I've attached a few pics which are just indications of the kind of tone I'd like to achieve. I know they're quite varied in depth, but I hope they can give at least a clue.

Thanks again !

John

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-204527.png
    Screenshot_20200408-204527.png
    803.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20200408-204652.png
    Screenshot_20200408-204652.png
    988.3 KB · Views: 81
Wow, thank you so much for giving me so many options.
Apologies for not being really specific about the colour I'm hoping to achieve in my first post. I absolutely love the .97 colours in koleston but hadn't even considered them for toning.... I think I've just got use to obsessing over the CT shade chart lol. That said, I have both the 10/6 (which is my go to for neutralising yellow) and the 8/71 available to me. I'll definitely do a strand test of that mix, because to be honest, I've always steered clear of it as an individual colour. I'm excited to see how it goes though.

I've attached a few pics which are just indications of the kind of tone I'd like to achieve. I know they're quite varied in depth, but I hope they can give at least a clue.

Thanks again !

John
Yeah the pictures are probably a little darker than I was expecting. Strand test with the 8/71+10/6 see how it goes, if you need any further advice get back to me and I'll see what I can come up with :)

I literally just posted a similar question before I read this - seems we’ll be hair twins soon! I love the tone of your sample photos, but I want to retain the lightness. Please update me if you have any success!

P.S. dialight also have a 9.13

P.P.S. Thinking of mixing .2 and .3 bases. I think the .3 would result in a softer, but still cool beige, than the .1.

I literally just posted a similar question before I read this - seems we’ll be hair twins soon! I love the tone of your sample photos, but I want to retain the lightness. Please update me if you have any success!

Hi there,

I actually ended up using a mix of CT shades... 9/96 + 7/86. I believe i used 3 parts of the former to 1 part of the latter. The colour came out just as I wanted on the sides, backs and roots, but i have very porous hair, so can't seem to get the colour to stick there. the colour is something of a dark smoky blond. Don't be afraid if you see this developing dark... it fades very quickly. Again, more to do with the awful condition of my hair.

Do a strand test and see what you can come up with. These colours appear very silvery on the swatches, but by mixing with the 7/86 it deepens the tone nicely to somethng like a 'stone' colour

Ps, Used over Level 10 pre-lightened.

Hi there,

I actually ended up using a mix of CT shades... 9/96 + 7/86. I believe i used 3 parts of the former to 1 part of the latter. The colour came out just as I wanted on the sides, backs and roots, but i have very porous hair, so can't seem to get the colour to stick there. the colour is something of a dark smoky blond. Don't be afraid if you see this developing dark... it fades very quickly. Again, more to do with the awful condition of my hair.

Do a strand test and see what you can come up with. These colours appear very silvery on the swatches, but by mixing with the 7/86 it deepens the tone nicely to somethng like a 'stone' colour

Ps, Used over Level 10 pre-lightened.

8/81 over a level 9 would leave you with a grey tone just because of the depositing and tonal qualities of the shade chosen.
I think your best option would be to lift the hair to a level 10. And then tone the hair with KP 10/97 + 8/97 equal amounts.
Your other option would be KP 9/17.
Or you could try CT 9/16 (1parts) + 8/0 (2 parts).
Another would be CT 10/6 + 8/71 equal amounts.
It depends what kind of dirty blonde you're after.
Do you have a picture?
There are plenty of options when it comes to wella, it's so versatile.

Sorry for crashing this post, but I wanted to pick Ronray’s brain for a CT formula for this colour. This reference photo was an old L’Oréal ad for their box colour using a gold-violet formula.

It would be on my highlifted base 9, faded-yellow hair. I would prefer to use Dialight since it’s acid based, but I’m wary of their 3 (too warm) and 2 (too pinky) tones. Wouldn’t be confident to try to strike the right balance using 1. With CT, I like the 7 for creating beige tones, it just seems more balanced to me.

Attachments

• C3990039-E419-4038-A854-94E84F2DF911.jpeg
    C3990039-E419-4038-A854-94E84F2DF911.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 46
I would look at 9/97 + 8/38 maybe add a small amount of 8/71 if wanted to bring it down a bit but keep it cool.
Or just mix 9/97 + 7/97 :)

I would look at 9/97 + 8/38 maybe add a small amount of 8/71 if wanted to bring it down a bit but keep it cool.
Or just mix 9/97 + 7/97 :)

Thanks Ronray! I don’t have the /83 or /71 at home but have the /97s... I have 8/81, would this be too cool with the 9/97?

I think otherwise I’ll go with your last suggestion :)

Do you have a picture of how warm your hair is at the moment?

Latest posts

Back