Toner issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxyRoxy11

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wonder if any of you can help me with a hair issue I’m having?
I’m a natural brunette but have been wearing my hair platinum for years.I have been going to my hairdresser for a while now but am always left disappointed with the colour.It looks great in the salon but when I wash it it looks like the toner has just washed out of my hair and I’ve an orange stripe left in my hair.
I was abroad recently and used a hairdresser there.They used the same range Wella but the difference was they left the toner in my hair for 25 mins under heat and the colour looked and felt amazing! My colour looked vibrant and even the roots weren’t as noticeable 3 weeks on and my hair still looked great! My hairdresser here only leaves my toner on for 5 mins without heat and this is why I think whenever I wash it the toner looks like it’s just washed out.
I don’t understand why I keep telling her this but she won’t listen.Surely I should get longer than 1 wash out of a toner? By day 4 I also have noticeable roots so my hair looks white at the ends with a black root and an orange band.
Do you think the toner being left on for so little time is what’s causing the issue?
Thank you for your time 😊

It‘s probably a combination of things but if she’s using Wella KP and not leaving it on long, then it won’t actually have time to oxidise properly, so whilst it looks the right colour, it will wash out quickly. She might also not be using the correct developer and this will make a difference too.

However, no modern professional brand of hair colour should have heat applied these days, as that will cause your hair to dry out too much. What the product needs is adequate time to complete processing.

If your hairdresser isn’t interested in listening to you and trying to resolve your concerns, I’d go somewhere else.

Time to find a new hairdresser

Thank you both for your replies.I’m just so fed up paying someone good money for my hair to look good for one day 😕 I know it’s not the products I’m using ( which are expensive) as my hair looked so good when the other salon done it.
I just look like a cheap,brassy blonde now.To think I only got it done last Wednesday and already it looks horrible xx

It does sound that something's not quite right, as you seem to be getting virtually no time from your colour. I just wanted to add to the above advice.....I assume you are not shapooing it immediately after it's been done? (I know it sounds crazy, but I've had clients go straight home and shampoo!) Also daily shampooing will effect the longevity of the colour too, as well as the products used, using high heat a lot, etc....but you say ur using good quality products, so that should be ok.

It does sound that something's not quite right, as you seem to be getting virtually no time from your colour. I just wanted to add to the above advice.....I assume you are not shapooing it immediately after it's been done? (I know it sounds crazy, but I've had clients go straight home and shampoo!) Also daily shampooing will effect the longevity of the colour too, as well as the products used, using high heat a lot, etc....but you say ur using good quality products, so that should be ok.

Hello..thank you for your reply!
I just think she’s not keeping the toner on for long enough.She leaves it on for 2-5 minutes and washes it out.The salon I used abroad left it on for 25 mins and like AcidPerm explained the stylist there said 5 mins is not long enough for toner to be left in the hair.When the Wella salon abroad did my hair it truly looked a clean,crisp platinum blonde.Now I look like a cheap,brassy blonde 🤦‍♀️
No I don’t wash my hair straight away after getting it bleached.I leave it for about 3 days and then wash it..that’s then when the warm tones show up.Truthfully I’m spending more money on products trying to hide her mistakes that what the actual cut and colour is!

Hello..thank you for your reply!
I just think she’s not keeping the toner on for long enough.She leaves it on for 2-5 minutes and washes it out.The salon I used abroad left it on for 25 mins and like AcidPerm explained the stylist there said 5 mins is not long enough for toner to be left in the hair.When the Wella salon abroad did my hair it truly looked a clean,crisp platinum blonde.Now I look like a cheap,brassy blonde 🤦‍♀️
No I don’t wash my hair straight away after getting it bleached.I leave it for about 3 days and then wash it..that’s then when the warm tones show up.Truthfully I’m spending more money on products trying to hide her mistakes that what the actual cut and colour is!
I also think the time does seem quite short. Also you think she/he's definitely using Wella.....or maybe using a cheap brand? There are a lot of cheaper brands that are good, but there are some that are not so good!!!!...I feel that even leaving it on for a shorter time, it still sounds as if it's just washing straight off? Did the colour last when you originally went to this stylist?...or has it never really worked out? I'd maybe check she's using Wella, explain you can't afford to keep having colour done that's not lasting a week....and ask if she thinks it would help to leave on longer, in a nice way🤪....and if she's not listening, you maybe need to try someone else?

Yes I agree.My colour has always been a bit so so.I just got used to it.But twice now I have had to go and get it corrected as it’s been so bad.I know it’s not the products I’m using as the other hairdresser did it beautifully.She says she uses Wella and stocks the products but im starting to wonder.If one salon can do my hair using the Wella brand and it looks amazing how come another salon can’t? 🤦‍♀️
But surely my hair colour shouldn’t vanish after one wash? Something is not right.

Yes I agree.My colour has always been a bit so so.I just got used to it.But twice now I have had to go and get it corrected as it’s been so bad.I know it’s not the products I’m using as the other hairdresser did it beautifully.She says she uses Wella and stocks the products but im starting to wonder.If one salon can do my hair using the Wella brand and it looks amazing how come another salon can’t? 🤦‍♀️
But surely my hair colour shouldn’t vanish after one wash? Something is not right.
I think it may be time to try someone else.

Yes I’m making an appointment with someone new as we speak 💇‍♀️

Latest posts

Back