Toner left on too long & turned hair ash/dull blonde - advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkycam92

Reaction score
I wanted to go light blonde yesterday, the bleach highlights were done and a huge amount of toner was left on for about 30 minutes. This has made my hair go a very ashy/dull blonde bordering on grey. I was told by next week it will brighten up and lose the ash. I have an interview on Monday and wanted it done for that.

The ends have also turned a dark grey and feel very dry!!!

Is it a bad idea to go to a salon and go brighter this soon after getting highlights/toner? Also, someone suggested silver shampoo - would this help or be a bad idea after getting it done last night?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

Silver shampoo is used to remove yellow tones so no it won't work. A clarifying shampoo is the one you need to buy

Toners do only last a certain amount of shampoos so unless your willing to wash your hair a lot between now and then I would recommend going back to where you had it done

Thanks, it doesn't look bad it's just not what I wanted and is a bit dull so will probably just wait for the toner to wash out. Would you say to stay away from silver shampoo completely? My hairdresser gave me a bottle and told me to use it which is why I'm confused!!

What was your hairdresser thinking? The silver shampoo will make it look more dull and grey!!

Purple/silver shampoos should be used on brassy gold coloured hair only.

Use a good moisturising shampoo and conditioner and the toner will fade out gradually, assuming she didn't use a permanent colour to tone with, which if she's recommending a silver shampoo, does makes you wonder??

Is she actually qualified or just started training?

Like AcidPerm said it will make it worse! So keep it for when the tone has faded to refresh your blonde but don't use it now!

Thank you!! So glad I posted on here before doing it! Just qualified but I only realised this afterwards.

Think I'll just keep washing it then go to a salon in a few weeks to get it highlighted over the current dull blonde?

Latest posts

Back