Toner made my hair dark

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa2555

Reaction score
I’ve had a turbulent relationship with my hair and trying to get it to my desired colour. I’ve gotten my hair bleached countless of times via balayage and so on so I can get the creamy/platinum blonde colour. I finally got to a colour I was reasonably happy with but needed a touch up and wanted some dimension added to it (through highlights). I switched hairdressers to see how they would do because I saw that they had good reviews. I told the hairdresser that I wanted highlights to touch up the roots and she suggested to also do some lowlights to give dimension.

She applied a toner which made my hair VERY ashy and grey and kinda dark/dull looking when it was out of the sunlight. I know that lighting is a big factor when it comes to blonde hair but my hair prior to getting it done was never that dark when indoors.
I left it and washed it out the next day hoping the toner would wash out and my hair would lighten up again. In the sunlight it looks ok but I’m still not happy with it but indoors my hair looks dull, cannot see the highlights, looks like a light brown (which I hate) and looks nothing like I wanted. So far I have washed my hair 3 times with clarifying shampoo so I can get the toner out but it doesn’t seem like it’s budging.
Ive never gotten low lights before is this a reason why my hair is looking more brown and will my hair return to its white/creamy platinum colour like it was before because it has been bleached many times if I kept washing it.

when photos of my hair were taken with flash it would come out a nice white creamy blonde colour but now when it has flash on it it looks brassy and light brown and grey all at once (even before I washed out the toner). So I can telI my colour has changed and I’m not happy.

Last edited:
I’ve had a turbulent relationship with my hair and trying to get it to my desired colour. I’ve gotten my hair bleached countless of times via balayage and so on so I can get the creamy/platinum blonde colour. I finally got to a colour I was reasonably happy with but needed a touch up and wanted some dimension added to it (through highlights). I switched hairdressers to see how they would do because I saw that they had good reviews. I told the hairdresser that I wanted highlights to touch up the roots and she suggested to also do some lowlights to give dimension.

She applied a toner which made my hair VERY ashy and grey and kinda dark/dull looking when it was out of the sunlight. I know that lighting is a big factor when it comes to blonde hair but my hair prior to getting it done was never that dark when indoors.
I left it and washed it out the next day hoping the toner would wash out and my hair would lighten up again. In the sunlight it looks ok but I’m still not happy with it but indoors my hair looks dull, cannot see the highlights, looks like a light brown (which I hate) and looks nothing like I wanted. So far I have washed my hair 3 times with clarifying shampoo so I can get the toner out but it doesn’t seem like it’s budging.
Ive never gotten low lights before is this a reason why my hair is looking more brown and will my hair return to its white/creamy platinum colour like it was before because it has been bleached many times if I kept washing it.

when photos of my hair were taken with flash it would come out a nice white creamy blonde colour but now when it has flash on it it looks brassy and light brown and grey all at once (even before I washed out the toner). So I can telI my colour has changed and I’m not happy.
Consider going back? Explain its not what you expected, did the stylist show you any kind of representation of colour?
Did you understand what the lowlights were going to do?
When you're shampooing with the cleansing shampoo are you leaving it on?

Latest posts

Back