Toner problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiatia22

Reaction score
Hi, I am not happy with my toners and am wandering if there's anything I could do different.
Client 1.
Has full head bleach from a level 5 to a 10. I then wash the bleach off clean it up with violet shampoo so I have a clean base then apply ct 9/16 leave on for 20 min to a nice clean silver shade. The problem is she says it only lasts a couple of shampoos. I've told her to use a sulphate free shampoo and sold here some violet shampoo to top it up. I don't know what else to say??
Client 2
Wanting ct 8/81 or 7/81 illumina. Applied over level 10 bleached hair. Clean with violet shampoo prior to toning. Towel dry hair really well apply either shade but I find on the back of the head which never lifts as clean has a ashy slightly khaki cast due to the / 81 blue in the toner. Should I add in some violet to warmer areas?

Last edited:
You need to make sure the back of client 2 has lifted a bit more.

Toners will fade, they just will, I don't think you are doing anything wrong x

You need to make sure the back of client 2 has lifted a bit more.

Toners will fade, they just will, I don't think you are doing anything wrong x
That's just what toners do they wash out. Trust me if they invented one that lasts I'd know! Your not doing anything wrong.

And for yellow hair always apply violet and orange hair blue as yellow and blue make green !!

And p.s always mix with 1.9 never 3% as it applys tone only

The problem is because you can only bleach to a pale yellow. It can be a problem when there wanting 8/ 81/ 7/81 as your applying a blue over pale yellow. Which = green. Maybe I need a lighter pale yellow. Don't want it going white and breaking off though. I'm glad you think I'm not doing anything wrong with the toner not lasting, as I've been beating myself up about it. And client keeps wanting free toners all the time. I always tone with 1.9% x

They can't have it for free. Explain to them in consultation that the colour will not last that long and they need to come back for toners regularly and that will be x amount of money x

I told her the toner won't last and needs topping up with violet shampoo. The client washes her hair every day too. . She says sometimes it lasts longer than other times .but I always apply same shade same process time .so don't know why. Feel fed up.x

Fact is, if you have bleached toned hair, you can't wash your hair daily and expect the colour to last very long. That's totally unrealistic, even when using the mildest sulphate free products.

I think if it was my client, I'd try to manage her expectations and explain that her only options are to book in for regular toning treatments or accept that daily hair washing will cause her colour to fade quickly.

You're doing everything correctly and there is no miracle solution! :rolleyes:

Fact is, if you have bleached toned hair, you can't wash your hair daily and expect the colour to last very long. That's totally unrealistic, even when using the mildest sulphate free products.

I think if it was my client, I'd try to manage her expectations and explain that her only options are to book in for regular toning treatments or accept that daily hair washing will cause her colour to fade quickly.

You're doing everything correctly and there is no miracle solution! :rolleyes:
I agree it is a tint brush we hold not a magic wand. Lol!! Never let a client make you fell unworthy of doing what you do best. After all they haven't studied hair colour there not supposed to understand why it dosnt work, it just dosnt full stop!! If they don't like paying for it then let them be a yellow blonde!

Latest posts

Back