Toner too dark

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey xox

Reaction score
Back story is- client had box dye brown (3) for years, now wants to go light ash blonde- (don’t they all!)
I lightened with bleach, 6% to about level 7 and used colour touch (7/89 & 8/81) which was too gold still, really didn’t do anything, so I thought maybe I’d got the level wrong and the toner was too light? so then applied 20ml 7/86 with 10ml 6/0 which came out lovely, that was 3 weeks ago,
Today I applied 7/86 as thought with the 6 May be too dark, and client has messaged saying she feels it’s gone back brown !!??
she has 3 & 4 on the roots which we didn’t touch, so I’m wondering if where the last toner has faded out, she’s then got used to seeing the lighter orange, and now I’ve toned it back to what it was she thinks it too dark, or have I used the wrong colour?
we added olaplex the first time but didn’t today, she uses Redken shampoo, so I don’t want to say use H&S to make it fade, what else can we do or will she just have to wait for it to fade out again?
we’re doing the bleach and tone again in few weeks to get it lighter so this was just a top up! What can I say to her?

Back story is- client had box dye brown (3) for years, now wants to go light ash blonde- (don’t they all!)
I lightened with bleach, 6% to about level 7 and used colour touch (7/89 & 8/81) which was too gold still, really didn’t do anything, so I thought maybe I’d got the level wrong and the toner was too light? so then applied 20ml 7/86 with 10ml 6/0 which came out lovely, that was 3 weeks ago,
Today I applied 7/86 as thought with the 6 May be too dark, and client has messaged saying she feels it’s gone back brown !!??
she has 3 & 4 on the roots which we didn’t touch, so I’m wondering if where the last toner has faded out, she’s then got used to seeing the lighter orange, and now I’ve toned it back to what it was she thinks it too dark, or have I used the wrong colour?
we added olaplex the first time but didn’t today, she uses Redken shampoo, so I don’t want to say use H&S to make it fade, what else can we do or will she just have to wait for it to fade out again?
we’re doing the bleach and tone again in few weeks to get it lighter so this was just a top up! What can I say to her?
You could use a cleansing shampoo to remove a bit of tone. Or malibu c colour correction.
Like you said, sounds like she's got used to the warmer colour after its faded off and as we know warm always looks brighter. So she probably feels like it's a bit dull now.
Has she washed it yet?

You could use a cleansing shampoo to remove a bit of tone. Or malibu c colour correction.
Like you said, sounds like she's got used to the warmer colour after its faded off and as we know warm always looks brighter. So she probably feels like it's a bit dull now.
Has she washed it yet?
I can’t find that Malibu C online at any wholesalers near me?
I know she doesn’t wash it often but may have by now?
I also think she’s struggling to understand how toners work, so now thinks I’ve lightened it for no reason and just making it go darker! I’ve explained about 3 times now why I’m doing what I’m doing, but I did worry that I’d done it wrong?

Try a deep cleansing shampoo and leave it on for 5 mins or as per instructions, repeat if necessary.
I hate it when clients don't understand the difference between warm and cool.
Maybe from now on aim for a more neutral tone

Last edited:
Personally, i think clients like ( understand) visual explanation better. If you have swatches to show clients,(the difference in results, )might help to understand better.

Personally, i think clients like ( understand) visual explanation better. If you have swatches to show clients,(the difference in results, )might help to understand better.
So true! I used to do this in the salon I'd show them an 8/0 then put 8/1 to the left and 8/7 or something similar to the right and explain the differences. It's amazing how many people say how much darker the 8/1 always looked.

Latest posts

Back