Toner! Wella Illumina 9/60 or Koleston 9/8?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryl says

Reaction score
I'm getting nervous about which to use between Illumina 9/60 or KP 9/8 or 10/8. The client has level 10 blonde achieved using a high light but slightly orange/gold roots. I did a strand test mixing Illumina 9/60 with 9/0 (to tame the violet tones) and didn't notice much difference on her roots, but it became very ashy through the lengths. I may have the developing time wrong?
Should I be using an /8 instead for the orange gold? Someone else advised anything with violet in but I'm not sure it's doing the trick, and I can't get an even finish from root to tip (roots still gold/orange and ends going too grey/ashy). Sorry, new to Wella here and still learning! Thanks for any tips.

I'm getting nervous about which to use between Illumina 9/60 or KP 9/8 or 10/8. The client has level 10 blonde achieved using a high light but slightly orange/gold roots. I did a strand test mixing Illumina 9/60 with 9/0 (to tame the violet tones) and didn't notice much difference on her roots, but it became very ashy through the lengths. I may have the developing time wrong?
Should I be using an /8 instead for the orange gold? Someone else advised anything with violet in but I'm not sure it's doing the trick, and I can't get an even finish from root to tip (roots still gold/orange and ends going too grey/ashy). Sorry, new to Wella here and still learning! Thanks for any tips.

Well orange is opposite blue on the colour wheel so yes you would use the /8. Toners should be developed visually really I think, not a set time x

Well orange is opposite blue on the colour wheel so yes you would use the /8. Toners should be developed visually really I think, not a set time x

You're right, I have to change the developing time as I didn't get it right first time doing strand test.
I thought it would be an /8 but when it was suggested to use anything with violet in I went with that (am new to the Wella range). Bad judgement on my part.
Given she has fine hair, I think a 10/8 would be the best bet as it will grab darker than thicker hair, does that sound right to you?
Would you use KP or Colour Touch?

Really wanted to use Illumina due to incredible shine but not sure it's possible in this case as I need to cancel out the orange... I can't find the right shade in Illumina. Any ideas?

Really wanted to use Illumina due to incredible shine but not sure it's possible in this case as I need to cancel out the orange... I can't find the right shade in Illumina. Any ideas?

I don't think it'll grab darker on finer hair. Think you'll be fine to use 9/8. They don't have 9/8 in ct so you'll have to use kp but you could use 9/81 in ct if they still have i. Yeah illumina is lovely. Don't think they have anything in the 10/ or 9/ with /8 as major tone x

Do you not want to tone it at a level 10 as well? Illumina has a beautiful 10/ and i have used 10/ 9/ equal parts with either 1.9 or 13vol and its beautiful.

Do you not want to tone it at a level 10 as well? Illumina has a beautiful 10/ and i have used 10/ 9/ equal parts with either 1.9 or 13vol and its beautiful.

Well the toner we used over her highlights ended up too ashy for her and I'm wondering what we can do from here... What can I do to lighten it up and take out some of the ashiness?

Well the toner we used over her highlights ended up too ashy for her and I'm wondering what we can do from here... What can I do to lighten it up and take out some of the ashiness?

A couple shampoos with a good clarifying shampoo should help or use just bleach and water to lift out the tone x

A couple shampoos with a good clarifying shampoo should help or use just bleach and water to lift out the tone x

Thanks :). We did two good rinses with a clarifying shampoo, it lifted slightly. For the bleach and water, do you use half and half? I'm thinking 5 minutes of sitting on the hair? x

Thanks :). We did two good rinses with a clarifying shampoo, it lifted slightly. For the bleach and water, do you use half and half? I'm thinking 5 minutes of sitting on the hair? x

I'm not sure if there's a proper mixing ratio for it, like with bleach shampoos, obvs it will be quite runny the more water you add so just add a bit at a time until it's a workable consistency.

Just massage it onto the ashy areas and keep watching it and massaging it in. It may lift out quick or take longer, just watch it until you are happy with the tone :)

I used wella 9/60 on a client who's highlights went very orangy on Saturday. I lifted her from a level 4 so I knew they would do, but managed to get it to a level orange 9. It really helped I love 9/60 xx

Latest posts

Back