Toners for blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinniezo

Reaction score
Hey opinions on best toners for yellow blonde and orangey blonde please. Tried a few and not impressed.

Have a client also who has a lot of warm build up on midlengths and ends from a home colour. She is naturally a warm blonde anyway. She's aware initially high lights won't be her target colour but is happy to go ahead anyway. Her strand test (bleach and 6% kept on for a good hour) came out slightly yellowy but good result but midlengths and ends pretty orangey. What would be the best way to tone this to get a decent enough result until her next set of highlights? Thanks x

Assuming you want to correct the orange/yellow, not enhance it? If you want too keep a bit of warmth and not go to ashy, koleston 10/8 is my favourite as it has the blue ash. You really have to watch it sometimes though as it can come out a bit grey on porous hair. Also, clynol do one called crystal I think... That's really good for crisp cool blonde although, you do need to be about a base 10 to use that.
Hope I helped! x

Hi thanks for that. Yep defo want to correct it! I've tried wella colour fresh 10/81 and find it doesn't really do a lot especially if slightly orangey. Would you use koleston 10/8 with pastel instead of the colour fresh? Start on the orangey blonde first then the roots? Damp or dry hair? Thanks so much for your help x

Hi thanks for that. Yep defo want to correct it! I've tried wella colour fresh 10/81 and find it doesn't really do a lot especially if slightly orangey. Would you use koleston 10/8 with pastel instead of the colour fresh? Start on the orangey blonde first then the roots? Damp or dry hair? Thanks so much for your help x
I don't like colour fresh for toning at all really, I think koleston or touch is the best! Yeah, mix it with pastel but remember its 1:2, I'd do it all at the basin on damp hair. I'd start on the orange but I'd only apply to the roots last minute as it might go too grey otherwise if they're not very orange. Also, wella's post colour treatment is fab if you don't already use it!
Good luck! x

8/81 in koleston would be better over dry hair if theres orange tones, though i dont think it will cover it all up in one go, but will definitely make a difference.

8/81 in koleston would be better over dry hair if theres orange tones, though i dont think it will cover it all up in one go, but will definitely make a difference.
Would this not take a lot of the brightness out and make the lights looks a bit dull?

Would this not take a lot of the brightness out and make the lights looks a bit dull?

Can you not take a pic to put up I'd like to see the level of the orange? X

Assuming the orange is of a 8/9 level you should tone with the level it is.. A 10 won't do any thing. But if you tone with a 8/9 level remember it will turn the lighter peices that shade

No because you develop it by eye. Ive used it before and it just gives a really cool creamy tone, though if you leave it on longer it goes slightly grey.

I want mine sorted too, it's too yellow/ orange. Here is a pic, please excuse the state of it, it was jut grew up fr the school run. Flash has made it look more orange, in fact it's majority yellow. I was thinking p02 but not sure how well it will work! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379518132.653571.jpg

I want mine sorted too, it's too yellow/ orange. Here is a pic, please excuse the state of it, it was jut grew up fr the school run. Flash has made it look more orange, in fact it's majority yellow. I was thinking p02 but not sure how well it will work! View attachment 43148

I'd try 9/8 on this Hun koleston perfect with pastel 1:2
Or have you tried loreal dialight frosted milkshake 9.01
both will kill orange tones and at a level 9 as that's what level I think yours looks! Hth good luck x

Thanks- we have milkshakes at college so ill go for that one!! Thanks- ill post the result!

Dialight is awesome! Go through loads at work! And luo! I used colour touch 8/81 with 3% at home, this looks lovely afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Dialight is awesome! Go through loads at work! And luo! I used colour touch 8/81 with 3% at home, this looks lovely afterwards!

Iv seen a few people recently say ct with 3% in here!
what's with that!
are you really using ct with a non branded 3% peroxide? X

Iv seen a few people recently say ct with 3% in here!
what's with that!
are you really using ct with a non branded 3% peroxide? X

Enit, its 1.9% to tone! 4% to lift! With colour touch peroxide!

I would definitely recommend 8/81 in wella color touch, I use it myself. You really have to becareful though, try a strand test on the hair dry, if her hair isn't porous it should be fine but I always use it when the hair is damp.
Keep an eye on it because it can turn silvery/grey if it takes too much. Blondes can be tricky!

Dialight have 6 vol (1.8%) 9 vol (2.7%) and 15 vol (4.5%) Sallys have 3% so it all depends on how clean the blonde lifts originally before using whichever you see fit! Thats why I personally use 3% and no its not branded, however i have used it for years and it works for me! I often use sallys peroxide as the loreal or wella developers are expensive! Its not like im using it with INOA!!

Some advice pls if I want to get the grey look it's for a client with grey hair who just wants to brighten the darker grey , can I use the c/t 8/81 with 1.9% was going to pre lighten with pl fine weave foils first? Am new to c/ t normally use alfaparf ! Tks x

Dialight have 6 vol (1.8%) 9 vol (2.7%) and 15 vol (4.5%) Sallys have 3% so it all depends on how clean the blonde lifts originally before using whichever you see fit! Thats why I personally use 3% and no its not branded, however i have used it for years and it works for me! I often use sallys peroxide as the loreal or wella developers are expensive! Its not like im using it with INOA!!

But your talking about using colour touch (wella) with 3% doesn't matter what brand it is!
I'm telling you that colour touch is supposed to be used with ct emulsion witch is 1.9
Why would you use 3% I Dnt get it x

But your talking about using colour touch (wella) with 3% doesn't matter what brand it is!
I'm telling you that colour touch is supposed to be used with ct emulsion witch is 1.9
Why would you use 3% I Dnt get it x

You are aware colour touch emulsion comes in two strengths? 1.9 and 4%? It really isnt a difficult concept! If you need a Bit of lift too? If it works with me and gives the result i want, how can you tell me its wrong! As i tell all my clients colouring isnt an exact science! Have you ever used P01 p02 etc? Its used with 7.5% and yes whilst toning! Maybe you should refresh your NVQ? Break the rules, live a little! Jeeze

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back