Toners - wet or dry hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robynbird

Reaction score
We have a bit of a debate going in our salon, do you tone bleached hair on wet or dry hair? I've always done it on wet hair but someone has said its better to do the colour with wella pastel toner on dry hair.
What does everyone else do?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

So much better on dry hair x

Depends on the intensity you want. If I want subtle I will use it on wet if I want to really push it in I dry the hair first

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Both.. Depends what I'm toning with and what result I'm looking for..

By applying it to wet hair all you are doing is diluting the toner. It will take better and last longer on dry hair but I also use on towel dried hair at the basin x

Always towel dry and apply at the basin, using wella illumina it also gives a glossing as well, which it a nice bonus!

Towel dried - from a commercial aspect 1. Time it takes to dry and reapply 2. Product wastage.

It's isn't cost effective to dry it off. Then would you charge the client for a toner or a full head colour?

I throw a spanner into this conversation .....condition before a toner or not?

We condition as it in manufacturers instructions :)

This one always causes a bit of controversy :)

I just towel dry thoroughly - in my opinion it seems like a waste of time blasting off the hair and detangling prelightened hair that's had no conditioner on! Always had great colour intensity doing toners on towel dried hair and also your product goes further and spreads easier x

Towel dry for me too, I use Loreal xx

I towel dry. But if I want it a bit more intense I would blast of x

I always condition before toner especially if iv been bleaching and usually on towel dried hair unless I want me intensity xx

Towel dried for me too! X

Towel dry too! If hair is thick and long ull be blasting for 20 mins and if just bleach the hair will drink the toner. Not very cost effective. You want wet enough so the toner can spread easy but not too wet so the water dialutes the toner to the point it doesnt work xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've never heard of conditioning first, is it just less intense colour with conditioning? I always just shampoo and towel dry.

I've never heard of conditioning first, is it just less intense colour with conditioning? I always just shampoo and towel dry.

Ive never heard of conditioning before either x

I always spray on extreme CAT before toning. It evens out the porosity of the hair

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's reduced the alkalinity of the hair and also evens out porosity. The result is more even, still intense.

I was taught conditioner will cause a barrier so toner won't take evenly, I towel dry too :)

Latest posts

Back