Toning help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Andersen

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a question on toning. I had previously done highlights on a client, bleaching to around level 8 and toning with Wella CT 8/38 and 8/71. I was just wondering, will this still give the same result if the hair lifts to level 9 or 10, or will a different formula need to be used. Just trying to cover all bases and be prepared. Also, I generally use Schwarzkopf Blondme with 20vol. Would you just do regrowth and completely leave the ends or use a weaker solution on the ends (5vol maybe) Thanks

Hi,
Just a question on toning. I had previously done highlights on a client, bleaching to around level 8 and toning with Wella CT 8/38 and 8/71. I was just wondering, will this still give the same result if the hair lifts to level 9 or 10, or will a different formula need to be used. Just trying to cover all bases and be prepared. Also, I generally use Schwarzkopf Blondme with 20vol. Would you just do regrowth and completely leave the ends or use a weaker solution on the ends (5vol maybe) Thanks
Were you removing old colour before or working in virgin hair?

Were you removing old colour before or working in virgin hair?
Will be virgin regrowth. Only highlighting the new growth to match in with grown out highlights.

Will be virgin regrowth. Only highlighting the new growth to match in with grown out highlights.
But when you did it the first time, was it virgin or coloured?

It was virgin hair Ron
So you'd do the same again, just don't take the highlights all the way through. You just highlight the root are, and then tone the roots first and after about 10 mins take the toner through to the ends to even it out and refresh.

So you'd do the same again, just don't take the highlights all the way through. You just highlight the root are, and then tone the roots first and after about 10 mins take the toner through to the ends to even it out and refresh.
Thanks. The reason I was asking about the toner and how it would work the same on lighter hair was in case the roots come up lighter than the ends - will that toner make it all the same colour. Don't want it to look banded or stripey. Thanks

Thanks. The reason I was asking about the toner and how it would work the same on lighter hair was in case the roots come up lighter than the ends - will that toner make it all the same colour. Don't want it to look banded or stripey. Thanks
If you're using the same formula to lighten, and I doubt the clients virgin hair has changed depth since you last did it then it shouldn't be any different.
When you're highlighting the root, just think of it as a root touch up. When you're toning it think of it as a full colour refresh. You'd apply to the roots, let it develop some, then apply to the ends for a shorter amount of time so it refreshes the tone.

If you're using the same formula to lighten, and I doubt the clients virgin hair has changed depth since you last did it then it shouldn't be any different.
When you're highlighting the root, just think of it as a root touch up. When you're toning it think of it as a full colour refresh. You'd apply to the roots, let it develop some, then apply to the ends for a shorter amount of time so it refreshes the tone.
I just get a bit worried as I'm not the quickest with foiling and was just thinking if some of the hair comes up a bit lighter if the toner will blend it in

I just get a bit worried as I'm not the quickest with foiling and was just thinking if some of the hair comes up a bit lighter if the toner will blend it in
Use a lower developer when you start and move up when you're halfway through ;)
Example 4% to start and then move up to 6%

Use a lower developer when you start and move up when you're halfway through ;)
Example 4% to start and then move up to 6%
That's a good shout. Cheers my friend 👍

Latest posts

Back