Toning level 8 with Wella

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirstymariebridal88

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently started using colour for the first time in 5 years and have been lucky enough to have lovely friends to practice on.
Today I have attempted balayage on a friends hair and although, I think for my first time dealing with box dyed hair and the balayage technique I haven't done a massively awful job, I have two issues that I would like to fix if possible.
Based on my Wella shade chart, my friend has between a level 5 and 6 base and a 66/0 throughout the ends minus a couple of bands of buildup. Our aim was a level 8/1 on the mids to ends and a route touch up but although we managed to lighten her hair to a 9, after using the level 8/1 it now matches an 8/03. Can anyone help me and advise what I can try in order to reach the level 8/1 or a more ashy tone?
I also stupidly mixed up my application after the first 3 sections on the nape so I have a bottom section of a lot of blonde which my friend is happy about but I have lines at the top where I've not blended properly (tried the v shape application on a teased section but then used a teased and wide weaved section for the rest of the head) what would be the best way of blending that out? Sorry if I'm asking basic questions, application scared me off colour at college!

Thanks

Hi All,

I've recently started using colour for the first time in 5 years and have been lucky enough to have lovely friends to practice on.
Today I have attempted balayage on a friends hair and although, I think for my first time dealing with box dyed hair and the balayage technique I haven't done a massively awful job, I have two issues that I would like to fix if possible.
Based on my Wella shade chart, my friend has between a level 5 and 6 base and a 66/0 throughout the ends minus a couple of bands of buildup. Our aim was a level 8/1 on the mids to ends and a route touch up but although we managed to lighten her hair to a 9, after using the level 8/1 it now matches an 8/03. Can anyone help me and advise what I can try in order to reach the level 8/1 or a more ashy tone?
I also stupidly mixed up my application after the first 3 sections on the nape so I have a bottom section of a lot of blonde which my friend is happy about but I have lines at the top where I've not blended properly (tried the v shape application on a teased section but then used a teased and wide weaved section for the rest of the head) what would be the best way of blending that out? Sorry if I'm asking basic questions, application scared me off colour at college!

Thanks
If the hair still looks like an 8/03 you need to add violet. You could try 9/16ct, but may be better off using illumina 8/69.
As For blending in any patches I'd just use ct 6/71, use it to cover the patch and blend it down in to the blonde :)

If it’s a 8/03 and you want it to look like a 8/1 then use 8/81 you need blue to kill orange not violet and your better of staying with the same level to tone so level 8 with blue hope that helps x

If it’s a 8/03 and you want it to look like a 8/1 then use 8/81 you need blue to kill orange not violet and your better of staying with the same level to tone so level 8 with blue hope that helps x
8/03 is gold not orange?

Wella I would say defo more orange than yellow for there golds there very warm based warmer than most colour houses! I’ve used this myself it works.

Latest posts

Back