Toning level 9 hair to silver/grey/ash

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2k2s2k2

Reaction score
Hi all

So I have bleached my hair from a level 2 up to a level 9 using olaplex. After toning my hair with 8
81 well color touch, my hair is a pale shade of blonde and looks acceptable however I was aiming for less yellow and more ash/gray/silver tones. It seems that no matter what toner I apply it barely makes any difference and I'm so confused.

When I read forums every one swears by the 8.81 or the 10.81 or the 9.16 but I have tried each of these shades and can honestly say my hair just wont take to them.
I'm actually happy with the shade but not knowing how to change it is bugging me.

I went back in and highlighted using bleach just at T section because I thought perhaps I need to bleach it lighter to allow the toners to take better. The bleach just wouldnt lift my hair much higher than the last bleaching session so I'm guessing it's at its maximum lightness. Exept now my hair feels more rough despite using olaplex.

I'm frustrated now! Where am I going wrong.

I brought some special mix hoping that this will perhaps make a difference but what would be reccomended? I'm thinking to mix 8.81 color touch with special mix 0/88 permanent.

Firstly am i able to mix a permanent with the color touch.

Secondly would it be more suitable to mix 10.81 with 0/11 perhaps?

I have wasted so much money on dye and every toner leaves me with the same shade. Pale blonde at level 9 (close to a 10)

Hi all

So I have bleached my hair from a level 2 up to a level 9 using olaplex. After toning my hair with 8
81 well color touch, my hair is a pale shade of blonde and looks acceptable however I was aiming for less yellow and more ash/gray/silver tones. It seems that no matter what toner I apply it barely makes any difference and I'm so confused.

When I read forums every one swears by the 8.81 or the 10.81 or the 9.16 but I have tried each of these shades and can honestly say my hair just wont take to them.
I'm actually happy with the shade but not knowing how to change it is bugging me.

I went back in and highlighted using bleach just at T section because I thought perhaps I need to bleach it lighter to allow the toners to take better. The bleach just wouldnt lift my hair much higher than the last bleaching session so I'm guessing it's at its maximum lightness. Exept now my hair feels more rough despite using olaplex.

I'm frustrated now! Where am I going wrong.

I brought some special mix hoping that this will perhaps make a difference but what would be reccomended? I'm thinking to mix 8.81 color touch with special mix 0/88 permanent.

Firstly am i able to mix a permanent with the color touch.

Secondly would it be more suitable to mix 10.81 with 0/11 perhaps?

I have wasted so much money on dye and every toner leaves me with the same shade. Pale blonde at level 9 (close to a 10)
Don't mix 0/88 in to 8/81. Koleston and colour touch should never be mixed.
All the shades you've selected seem to be lacking violet.
I think what's probably happening is you're laying blue and green tones over a pale yellow base which isn't giving you that clean silver because neither blue nor green counteracts yellow.
If I was to tone your hair I'd be looking at using 9/86 at this rate colour touch. Or 8/81 + 9/16 together.
Your other option is illumina 8/69

Thanks for this, that actually makes sense.

I am going to do a strand test using the colors that I have.

Color touch Special mix 0/68

Your reply is much appreciated

Are you a qualified hairdresser OP?

I qualified in level 2 when I left school, was an apprentice but had a career change. Working in a salon was great but my knowledge around toners is very limited. Been out of the hair industry for a while too.

Ronway, thanks so much for your tips. Tried out what you have suggested and my hair is now officially grey!

For the record, mixing 9.16 and 8.81 worked really well, was definitely more ash however noticed yellow undertones still coming through. Wasnt exactly what I was aiming for.

I did a strand test with and without special mix.

A touch of special mix killed off more yellow but an absolute touch was used because my first strand test turned out a bold shade of purple! All good, I plan to add some low lights to break up the ombre so can just tone that strand right down.

My ombre blend originally was a level 4 blending into the blonde, however that's now faded and looks really brassy. I really dont want to take the blend lower just to cover up the brassy mid section, and the toner I have used above did not touch it. The brassiness really doesnt go well with the gray. Any tips on what toner I can use to take out the warm tones. As oppose to having to do the ombre again with a dark shade just to cover the warmth.

Any advice is highly appreciated

Also in case anyone tries this, the toner took really really fast. I split my hair into 5 sections. By the time I finished applying to the one section and ensured it was all evenly distributed I only waited about 3 minutes or so and needed to then wash it out. I had to keep a very close eye on it.

My hair is shoulder length and not too thick so was very managable for me but thought I ought to share this for those of you who have lots more hair. Again, I only added a dot of special mix because during the strand test I turned it purple! Hadnt even been on for longer than 8minutes. However when I didnt use any special mix at all I noticed yellow hues still coming through whereas now (with the 0/68 special mix) it's a solid shade of gray.

try a dot of 2/0 believe it or not. it will give it that metal grey color every time. 8/81 + dot of 1/0/ .

Have you tried any of the frosted milkshakes L’Oréal dialight? Xx

Hiya, I was too impatient ended up going in with permanent 5.0 and dragged the blend down that evening to take out the brass.

Couldnt foil the back of my hair! Was wondering what to do about the back but Il defo try the 8.81 with dot of 2/0 just to even it all out. Blend wont be great but no one will see the back ‍♀️

Not tried the frosted milkshakes loreal, I always use wella just because I'm most familiar with it.
What are the results likes with that? Is this in reference to toning the brass or the pale yellow? X

Also just wondered if I was on the right track here. I was going to strand test the following before I read Jimmy's suggestion. But still curious as to whether this could this of worked?

So my thought process was, if the 8.81 mixed with 0/68 and 9.16 took me to a level 8 silver/gray,

Perhaps if I mixed 8.81 with 5.0 and touch of 0/68 this would then take me to a gray tone at a level 5?
Or was I just completely off track here?

Latest posts

Back