Tonsil stones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi, please dont read if your are sqeamish
I didnt know what tonsil stones were ,
one of my older teens developed them after a sore throat , and they keep coming back and is getting upset about them
doctor says its nothing , but .....
I have heard that a mix of listerene and alcohol is good for gargling
with , has anyone else heard this is good ?
also has anyone ever heard of using a pipett / eye dropper on them or a water squirter thingy ? here is a link
Ps....dont look at the pictures of them if you are sqeamish

http://s.info.com/clickserver/_iceU...Nts=&40=NAXeNuJCi7ig2EOwNA0V/g==&_IceUrl=true

Hi - I have had these (not as large as in the pictures but large enough!!) must be about 20 year ago. They eventually went on their own. I have always had a lot of throat problems. I would just try and keep healthy eating the right stuff and just my personal view would keep teeth really clean and floss gums every night. :)

Hi - I have had these (not as large as in the pictures but large enough!!) must be about 20 year ago. They eventually went on their own. I have always had a lot of throat problems. I would just try and keep healthy eating the right stuff and just my personal view would keep teeth really clean and floss gums every night. :)

Thank you for your reply essentia :)
It is something that re occurs every now and again, I think worrying a lot about what the heck it was didnt help, and Im sure the stress was making it worse,
which I can understand as its an embarrassing thing to talk about
and people tend to keep it to themselves and probably worry a lot about it
instead ,

My sister has now also mentioned to me that her Daughter had her tonsils out because of this peoblem but a year after she got glandular fever which left her with M E ,
Therefore they don't really like to take tonsils out as much as they used to now , as the tonsils are there to defend the system

anyway there seems to be a bit more knowledge about these problematic but harmless critters
now so hopefully there may be a simple cure soon ,
maybe a critter hoover :lol:
The thing is I was very worried about them and what they were , so if this thread helps someone else who may be worrying too,
and it puts minds at ease
then it makes it worth it posting about x :hug: minky

Hi It is worrying a first but my GP at the time would not remove them. I had white spots in my throat when I also had glandular fever and again 10 years later when I was 25. I know they look awful but they went as quickly as they appeared. Try not to worry and just keep well and your mouth clean. Hope they go soon.:hug:

I have these and have had them for about 5 years. I have been to the doctors and was then referred to ENT (ear, nose and throat) at the hospital and was basically told that they are not serious enough to have my tonsild removed simply based on this problem. I was told to try and squeeze them out if I could with my fingers ot tongue and brush teeth and gums regularly. It doesnt really help, but I do find when I sneezd heavily they come out-not too pleasant in some situations but at least it cleans them out for a while.
I just hope they do disappear as quick as they arrive as they are very unpleasant.
x

I eventually had my tonsils out in my 30s ,they were a horrible nuisance most of my life up till then.My tonsils were badly scarred from them.If you get mucousy and get PND ,which can cause them ,it is best to stop eating too much dairy,especially cheese.
If you want your tonsils out then push for it,who are they to say they are not a real problem ...they most definately are.

I used to get this all the time, and never really did anything about it (except like Miss Pink said... sneezing and such likes bringing them up... ewww!) and it just kinda disappears, it used to re-occur, but now it has been away quite a long time *touches wood* It's nice to know what it actually was though so thanks! x

Oh my goodness you are not alone!! I had them after glandularfever then went on to develpop ME. I wish I could tell u how to get rid of them perminantly. I resorted to this..its grose but worked for me. Right.. when they were coming I could taste the tell tale taste. If they are not yet visable weight untill they are then u can use clean finger to pop them out make sure that you rinse after with corsadil mouth wash which is available in chemists. This will kill any germs from the throat/on ur finger. you need short fingernail and a strong gag reflex. Fortunatly now they are much less frequent. Hope this helped as I was so conciouse of them..xxxxx please if anyone knows how to get them gone let me no i cant have my tonsils out because they are so scared and huge from all the past infection!!!

Ahha! Tonsil stones.
I have horrendous tonsils and get these little blighters every couple of weeks or so. Depending on how bad my tonsils are at any given stage, they can be there for the duration.
Doctors don't seem to want to take tonsils out any more. They mutter about how it can do more harm than good etc. Ironically, I didn't have tonsil problems until I was in my late teens, so missed the prime removal age.
Occassionally, they do decide to move around at unfortunate moments and can be quite acrobatic but I'm used to their quirks. I am thinking of giving them all names and keeping them in a little cage:lol:.
I suppose there are worse ailments out there...

Thank you for all your replys , I was very relieved to know they were harmless :) although horrid and embarassing , I have bought Dentyl for Gargling which is nice and not too hot and doesnt burn the tounge too much ,
and it has had some good effects
and good old Listerene , we will also be trying all the other products that have been reccomended on here ,
thanks again to all who replied :hug: minky

Latest posts

Back