Tonsillitis, GP won't help me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
Hey geeks, hoping some of you could possibly give me some advice! For the past 5 years I've had a LOT of cases of tonsillitis, I had glandular fever at 15 and ever since then I've had very frequent tonsillitis.
It started off as 2-3 times a year, and for the last 2+1/2 years I've been getting it atleast once every 2 months, and just recently I've been having it every 3 weeks, I get better then within a week I have it again! :( I don't go to the doctor every single time as I don't want to become immune to antibiotics, I just go when it's really severe...so the doctor doesn't have all the cases recorded. I've begged and pleaded to be referred to hosp to have them out, but he's refusing, I'm in a lot of trouble at work due to constant time off sick, it's affecting my social life and making me bloody miserable!!
I can't afford to have them out privately so I don't know what to do :/ does anyone know how to make a doctor see sense!? Any help would be very much appreciated, desperate!! Tia xxx

Ask to see a different doctor for a second opinion next time. Really emphasise how frequently this is happening and make sure you go each time so they have a record.

It may not be right but doctors are caught up in all sorts of red tape and budget constraints, so if they only have a few occurances noted, they will refer someone else over you. Unfortunately you have to make a nuisance of yourself and really stress how much it's affecting you and work

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I went every single time I had it because I knew the criteria was high for to get them removed. 15 times in 4 years they FINALLY took them out after me begging! I got them out last January and although the pain was bad for about 3 weeks it's been amazing not having tonsilitis lol! Unfortunately you do have to go every time you even think you have it so they can document it as like the above poster said its a money thing, I ended up immune to penicillin I got it at the start of December last year a weeks worth, never worked so I got another weeks worth (I am allergic to the other thing they wanted to give me) it worked a bit then by the time I was getting them out on the 20th of January I had it again! It's a horrible thing to have I have total sympathy for you xx

I've not had much experience with tonsillitis myself (just once or twice) but doctors I definitely am lol. I always find locums are better as they seem to be less stressed and listen more. Also if you just can't go to the doctors every time, I wonder if nhs direct would still count as it's still being logged.?? Also I've had nhs direct report my GPs for not following there "duty of care" with me. They might kick them up the bum if you explain.

My daughter just had her done . U only get referred when u have had tonsillitis so many times in the year so u really need to go every time u have tonsillitis. Then they can document it in order to do the referral to ent requesting u have ur tonsils removed

Hey geeks, hoping some of you could possibly give me some advice! For the past 5 years I've had a LOT of cases of tonsillitis, I had glandular fever at 15 and ever since then I've had very frequent tonsillitis.
It started off as 2-3 times a year, and for the last 2+1/2 years I've been getting it atleast once every 2 months, and just recently I've been having it every 3 weeks, I get better then within a week I have it again! :( I don't go to the doctor every single time as I don't want to become immune to antibiotics, I just go when it's really severe...so the doctor doesn't have all the cases recorded. I've begged and pleaded to be referred to hosp to have them out, but he's refusing, I'm in a lot of trouble at work due to constant time off sick, it's affecting my social life and making me bloody miserable!!
I can't afford to have them out privately so I don't know what to do :/ does anyone know how to make a doctor see sense!? Any help would be very much appreciated, desperate!! Tia xxx

The first thing to do is to allow your GP the opportunity to diagnose you every time you feel you have it. Self reporting is understandably not enough for a referral. Also make sure you are explaining exactly how the repeated episodes impact on your daily life.

I hope you get the result you're looking for. I had mine removed when I was a child and the only thing I remember is eating ice cream once back at home after the operation. Every cloud :wink2:

If you don't want to become immune to antibiotics and can on occasion do without them simply don't take them. Don't even exchange the prescription. But at least it's documented that way and doctors will pay better attention. Just a thought.
Recently I have learned that with doctors he who shouts loudest gets sorted soonest. I desperately need my gall bladder removing after 6 years of Mis-diagnosis, it almost killed me in the summer when I had pancreatitis because stones blocked the pancreas and it basically began digesting itself! My gall bladder is still there but after several phone calls to surgeons and loads of nagging my details have been sent to the bookings department for the op. Take charge basically, get second third and fourth opinions, see them whenever you get a niggle. I have presented myself to A&E many times in agony, called my doctor in tears of desperation. They do pay attention if you are persistent. It's horrible to regularly face excruciating pain, illness and feeling like life is on hold regularly while u get through an episode and u really need to just keep on at them. I hope u get it sorted very soon, unfortunately the NHS is struggling with it's work load and they don't act until it's absolutely necessary in some instances, especially with common complaints like tonsillitis and gall stones. Good luck to u x

Thank you everyone I appreciate it! I think I may finally have been heard, went to an out of hours docs Sunday and he took a throat swab to be sent off to hospital, and said he would make a note on my records to gp saying he thinks I should be referred to ent at the hospital....let's see where this goes! Xxx

If you don't want to become immune to antibiotics and can on occasion do without them simply don't take them. Don't even exchange the prescription. But at least it's documented that way and doctors will pay better attention. Just a thought.
Recently I have learned that with doctors he who shouts loudest gets sorted soonest. I desperately need my gall bladder removing after 6 years of Mis-diagnosis, it almost killed me in the summer when I had pancreatitis because stones blocked the pancreas and it basically began digesting itself! My gall bladder is still there but after several phone calls to surgeons and loads of nagging my details have been sent to the bookings department for the op. Take charge basically, get second third and fourth opinions, see them whenever you get a niggle. I have presented myself to A&E many times in agony, called my doctor in tears of desperation. They do pay attention if you are persistent. It's horrible to regularly face excruciating pain, illness and feeling like life is on hold regularly while u get through an episode and u really need to just keep on at them. I hope u get it sorted very soon, unfortunately the NHS is struggling with it's work load and they don't act until it's absolutely necessary in some instances, especially with common complaints like tonsillitis and gall stones. Good luck to u x

I hope they get you sorted soon!! My mum went through similar, they kept telling her it was trapped wind! She had it out finally a few years ago xxx

I hope they get you sorted soon!! My mum went through similar, they kept telling her it was trapped wind! She had it out finally a few years ago xxx

Aww that's awful, I can sympathise with her. It's painful beyond words. Glad she got sorted and I hope u do too x

I was told by my GP (when my then 17yr old son was really suffering) that you had to have it diagnosed 3 times within 12 months to get them removed! He finally had the op and hasn't had a sick day since - he's now 21! It's disgusting, he nearly lost his job because of it, not to mention the amount of schooling he missed as well grrrr

My daughter can suffer a lot with hers too, she was refered to ENT and they said that they wouldnt do anything unless she had 10 occurences in a 12 month period of 7 times per year in a 2 year period. Thats a lot of tonsillitis to have to go through :(

What I would say is DO go to the Dr every time you have it, just to get it noted on your file even if you dont want a prescription as it will help your case xx

Tonsillitis can be funny. You need to be healthy for a certain ammount of time before you can have the operation (due to risk of infection).

As for the doctor not having all your cases. You can ussually opt to get your files sent over to your new doctors.

Tonsillitis can be funny. You need to be healthy for a certain ammount of time before you can have the operation (due to risk of infection).

Not strictly true I had it on the first week in December last year for almost 3 weeks then the day i went in to have them removed (25th of January this year) I had it again but they only realized after I was under so they just took them out anyway, they wanted them out quick as possible because I was at the doctors twice within the December because nothing was taking it away, glad I got them out when I did I couldn't cope with it anymore! x

I had tonsillitis for the 1st time ever this year in May which resulted me going to my doctors twice and an out of hours surgery once as it was getting worst, on my third visit to the doctors she actually said would I consider having them taking out as it was so severe. I had it again last week but think I caught it in time and got some penicillin and it was gone within a few days. Im still unsure whether to have them out, strange how some doctors are different to others x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back