Too much massage!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I hope you all can help me.
I have been working in a spa for the past 6 months and recently the demand for massage has gone crazy!!

Today (Saturday) I did 6 and a half hours of massage and my body is killing me.

Does anybody know the laws on how much massage you should be doing a day or the breaks you should be getting!?

At the moment I do 8 hours a day with one 30min break which is my lunch break and it just isn't enough by the time I've had lunch, I have go back up 5min before to make sure everything is ready for my next client!!

Over the past 3 months my lower arms are really sore from using my elbows and has become very sensitive and red and I can't massage when this happens!!

I'm getting really fed up with all this massage and don't know where to start!
I've mentioned it to my manager and she's spoken to the manager of the hotel but I know he won't do anything until the therapists actually go to him.

Hope you all can help me!! :( :(

Megan
Xx

Thats the joy of spa work :(. I worked in a spa few years back and swore I never would again. Even now after a massage I get sore wrists and arms so I try not to do to many (joys bein my own boss) . But I think 30 mins is right for a break and tbh your doing your job, so I dont think there is a law on how many massages sorry. You may be better in a salon that offers more beauty treatments as spas are renowned for massage and facials xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also work in a spa so do know how you feel but you've just gotta suck it up! I think your either in it or your not! There's a lot of burnouts in spas because I don't think people realise it's hard work. Get a redbull down ya and realise this is your passion, or quit maybe it's not the right job for you an that's fine there's plenty more options and routes to take. As for a law, I don't think there is one. Men graft all day long in the pouring rain sometimes and I don't think they have ever asked for a law to be put in place for a bit of "hard work"

Didn't mean to sound blunt but it's the truth, hope all works out for you xxx

Hi both,

Thank you for your replies!!

I understand both of your views. But I do love my job! But really they should give you a break after every 2 hour massage!
I just don't understand why the manager doesn't want to look after their staff, surely this is why all spas have a massive turn over of staff!!

Megan x

I don't have anything to add but i just feel sorry for you...it's crazy to do that much massage in one day!! My massage therapist gets 30min breaks after every massage AND a 30min lunch break.

I dont think people realise how hard going our jobs actually are. But regardless if its massage or sitting getting a sore back all day from doing nails. I work for myself., And work really hard sometimes without a break lol sorry but this is the harsh reality of the industry its hard work... nurses etc dont get a break every two hours lifting and laying patients (amoung everything else. Sorry if sounded harsh but after 10 years doing this job its hard work but rewarding. Massage therapists work whole day full time doing massage. Sorry but just my opinion xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi chazac,

Being a nurse and being a massage therapist is completely different, a nurses job is more evenly split between lifting patients and other tasks.
Where as currently all I am doing is massage all day, with no gap in between my clients. So I have to finish every client 5min early just so I can tidy my bed a little.

Here is an example:

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/03/08/virgin-masseueses-sue-after-getting-rsi-from-massaging-overweigh/

If the spa is exposing you to risk of injury by giving you too many massages or not enough breaks then you could sue them for not taking appropriate actions to look after the well being of their staff. You could also develop RSI or muscle/joint problems if worked too hard.

I know this industry is hard work and I've been in it for nearly 5 years now and working in spas for those 5 years!!
But I don't believe in managers not looking after the staff!

X

Do you want to continue working as a therapist for a few more months or few more years or few more decades?
You will do yourself permanent yes permenant damage if you continue and will never be able to massage again, ever.
So either go to your boss and tell him you are not prepared to put yourself at risk or learn how to massage using forearms and elbows.
Its a well known fact that a full time masseuse has a 5 year shelf life and then get rsi.
You could possibly go for employment compensation with a no win no fee firm.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Isn't that a bit extreme?

For my place, no it's not. Others may think it's extreme but i saw what overworking a therapist does (and experienced it myself) so i would rather my massage therapist have a longer break to clean, refresh, stretch and possible grab a snack then over work and be unhappy.

Good for you Jen.
Do not under any circumstances SUCK IT UP AND GET ON WITH IT.
Ridiculous advice.
So if I worked with asbestos would you give me the same advice?
As a masseuse you protect your tools which earn you your wage.......

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to work in a spa a couple of years ago and had the same problem. There is a guide line set for managers to follow which i think ( can't remember exactly ) is something along the lines of therapists doing a maximum 3 hours of massage a day to prevent injury. This is something I brought up with my previous manager and they were very quick to change my time table making sure I did not exceed the 3 hour limit as you can take them to court. Hope this helps!

I really feel for all you masseuses, your all hardcore lol! That was why I went to college to do beauty because I enjoyed massage but I realised half way through my course how much hard work it is and when my teacher made such an emphasism on positioning yourself incase of long term injury that made me worry! I couldn't do it so I went down the nail route, I am thinking of booking in a BNS next week but I can't help feel sorry for the therapist while I'm enjoying it, even though she will be like you guys and totally professional and probably love doing it. I think a lot of people feel sorry for me for doing their pedi but I love it so it's similar I suppose!? If your really not enjoying maybe try a different place

If your injured then of course stop, I'm not saying suck it up and damage your body. But There's a million and one young fresh eager therapists to take your spot, I'v seen it!

If it's not making you happy and fulfilling you then maybe go part time and find somewhere else, perhaps a salon or mobile so you can work on your own terms.

Also if your protecting yourself and using a correct height massage couch, bending knees, keeping correct posture etc and the company is not making you work awkwardly and in cramped spaces then I doubt you'd have much of a case.

That's just my opinion so sorry if anyone takes offence lol x

Think about your health before your job! I did 10 months in a hotel spa, doing mainly massage and as a result I have unrepairable injuries! It just isn't worth it, not for that kind of wage anyway. The manager will never change anything because of the money, spas like that have a high turn over of staff and that's why! X

Last edited by a moderator:
Only just seen this thread. I hope it works out for you all.

I've been in the spa industry for about three years now and when I started I used to be able to do eight or nine days in a row (lots of spas remain short staffed in the busy period). I loved the way the money added up but these days working in a spa isn't that profitable for me because I would struggle with full time hours due to the physical nature of the work taking it's toll.

I think the physical nature of the work is there in salons and beauty counters because it's not a desk job at the end of the day.

I used to wonder why the majority of staff are so young in these jobs but I think I know now! I'm hoping to be in a different industry by my thirties because I like spa work but don't want to do it forever and I don't know many people who do.

How did it work out for you?

I've never worked in a spa, and don't know about laws and regulations in the industry in the UK, but that's completely wrong, regardless if it's against the law or not I wouldn't be putting myself at risk, I've got a friend that was a message therapist for 5 years & now she's 25 and has three bulging discs and can barely walk she spends most of her time at PT.
You really need to consider the health risks their are in this industry, the best way to protect yourself doing massages is to do less massages and get more breaks, you really should speak to your manager about this issue, check out the laws in where you're based and take it from there, if their are no laws your manager won't care at the end because business and business.
Massaging is extremely tough hence why I don't do it at all and never will!
Wish you all the best sorry if I was no help! Xxx

Latest posts

Back