Too much warm tone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudituesday

Reaction score
Hi there I'm a mobile hairdresser and would really appreciate your opinion on my lady's Hair.
She had her hair coloured from base level 6 to 9 Ash but still has some warmth gold brassiness but Not a Orange colour coming through. More subtle than that. Does anyone have any advise on how to tone the warmth down. I'm interested what people use to tone down colour. Would you use Colour touch to deposit tone using developer. Your advise would really help as I have no one to ask. Also if you have a shade suggestion that would be good. She'd just like it to be toned down or go lighter. But Ash tone would suit her cool complexion . Blue eyes, tans very easy.

What did you use to lighten it?

Hi Haircuts. Thanks for your reply.
I used 9.1 koleston Wella.

Hey there. The /1 is not considered a traditional "ash" tone in the well a range, its more to subdue or soften the original tone. If your lady has alot of natural warmth in her hair then the /1 will just soften it. If you have managed to lift it to a warm/yellow level 9 then a violet toner such as 9/16 or possibly a 10/6 in colour touch at a push, however i have always loved 9/8 with pastel it really cleans it up but keep an eye on it as it could turn bluey hue very quickly. X

Thanks soooo much. My gut feeling was to use colour touch with a blue hue /8. Its such a relief as I'm supposed to be carrying it out tomorrow! Thank you! It's just my lady keeps changing what she wants and quite frankly I don't get to colour as often as I like and have been dragging the depths of my memory and toning isn't something I've done a lot of. She told me that ideally she'd like to go lighter and have platinum highlights. I know this sounds really stupid but I guess that's going to require bleach highlights with toning again? Is this the way you would achieve the results? I wish she'd said this from the beginning and I would have used Wella special blonde highLift to guarantee the hue from a level 6. Just wanted to say thank you for helping me... I really can feel alone doing mobile work and not able to just ask a colleague and put my mind at rest. That's when you come in! Thanks again!

It's a pleasure. I know how you feel, I worked pretty much alone in a salon for 2 years and had to go through alot of "experiments" to get the right results... wella training is fantastic, I would definitely recommend going up there to do some colour courses, they helped me no end.
I think you're gonna have to go down the bleach route if you want to get a really clean level 10-12 lift for platinum. However I would be really cautious about maintaining the integrity if the lady's hair. If shes a natural level 6 then thats 5-6 levels of lift and then to maintain the tone and the regrowth could be a real nightmare. I love the special blondes high lift tint but again they can still be on the warmer side. Platinum hair is a real maintenance issue, is your lady prepared for that? Are you prepared lol?
Whenever you get stuck with toning, go back to the colour wheel. I kniw it can be a pain when you're mobile as like me you probably don't carry every colour/toner for every eventuality. In this instance, maybe make it a "work in progress" to reach the platinum bit by bit over a couple of appointments. X

It's a pleasure. I know how you feel, I worked pretty much alone in a salon for 2 years and had to go through alot of "experiments" to get the right results... wella training is fantastic, I would definitely recommend going up there to do some colour courses, they helped me no end.
I think you're gonna have to go down the bleach route if you want to get a really clean level 10-12 lift for platinum. However I would be really cautious about maintaining the integrity if the lady's hair. If shes a natural level 6 then thats 5-6 levels of lift and then to maintain the tone and the regrowth could be a real nightmare. I love the special blondes high lift tint but again they can still be on the warmer side. Platinum hair is a real maintenance issue, is your lady prepared for that? Are you prepared lol?
Whenever you get stuck with toning, go back to the colour wheel. I kniw it can be a pain when you're mobile as like me you probably don't carry every colour/toner for every eventuality. In this instance, maybe make it a "work in progress" to reach the platinum bit by bit over a couple of appointments. X

Yes I'd already explained this to her. I'd need to learn to base break for sure to blend the roots each time. She not my easiest customer. Not that I expect it to be easy but she never has a defined idea of what she wants. She looks at people in magazines who have completely different face shape to hers and colouring. I'm having to talk her through. Sometimes I'm there for an hour. She's lovely but a bit of a nightmare and doesn't have much idea. I think she thinks its like being in a sweet shop and thinks any thing is possible. But all the chopping about will just give her poor hair condition. Olaplex is good I hear to protect the hair but so expensive. I hear there's a British make which protects hair which is much cheaper. Thanks for the encouragement about further courses in colouring and yes I need to be more experienced in colour correction and just get used to the Wella shades. Apparently I could get hair swatches to practice on to or so I've seen on the site being suggested. And yes carrying all the toners is just not always practical. Have you seen the American Wella colour charm toners that look so easy to use. It's a shame it's not possible over here. Thanks again Miss_eve. I hope you don't mind me asking you again for help in the future?
Many Thanks x

Yes I'd already explained this to her. I'd need to learn to base break for sure to blend the roots each time. She not my easiest customer. Not that I expect it to be easy but she never has a defined idea of what she wants. She looks at people in magazines who have completely different face shape to hers and colouring. I'm having to talk her through. Sometimes I'm there for an hour. She's lovely but a bit of a nightmare and doesn't have much idea. I think she thinks its like being in a sweet shop and thinks any thing is possible. But all the chopping about will just give her poor hair condition. Olaplex is good I hear to protect the hair but so expensive. I hear there's a British make which protects hair which is much cheaper. Thanks for the encouragement about further courses in colouring and yes I need to be more experienced in colour correction and just get used to the Wella shades. Apparently I could get hair swatches to practice on to or so I've seen on the site being suggested. And yes carrying all the toners is just not always practical. Have you seen the American Wella colour charm toners that look so easy to use. It's a shame it's not possible over here. Thanks again Miss_eve. I hope you don't mind me asking you again for help in the future?
Many Thanks x
Yes of course, it's nice to be able to help someone when I can.
Yes I've seen the American toners.... it is a shame, I always see them being used and I want them too.
Good luck with your client, its good practice in dealing with difficult/unrealistic expectations. Olaplex is expensive but I'm sure that in sallys they do a trial kit. I dont know how much this is though, but worth every penny in my experience. The other brand is probably colorphlex from capital. I've tried it but I have to say I'm devoted to olaplex as its much much easy and simpler to use. Xx

Latest posts

Back