Too old to train

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox40

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
So... I've always been passionate about nails. I was due to train at college in my teens, circumstances meant that didn't happen. My passion didn't die and in my 20s I had a few private lessons for pure enjoyment... fast forward to now, I find myself a single mum to a 1 year old, and when he naps im busy practicing. I just love it. I'm not bad for someone who's not touched acrylic in 20 years but I certainly wouldn't dare touch someone else nails.
So my question is ... am I too old to consider training with the hope of turning this into something lucrative, or should I keep it as a fun hobby? X

Just get on and do it! Honestly you will not regret it for a moment.
I have been in the industry since I was 19 and have enjoyed my career all the way through. There are not that many people that after nearly 40 years can actually say the same about their jobs.

Covid has really affected my client base , down by around 60% . I am near the end of my career though ,but it still makes me sad to think of how hard I have worked and it's been wiped out by the pandemic. I have introduced some new "wellness" massage experiences and it is really helping me to keep my current clients coming back and spending more time and money on the new treatments.

You are young, and looking ahead I do feel that now is a good time for you to get some training under your belt, definitely face to face and practice, practice, practice. Baby steps and soon you'll feel you can open to actual paying clients.

There are plenty of oldies on this forum that were also older starters , so don't talk yourself out of it before you have begun.
Best of luck. RosieR

Are you 90? ;)

You’ll find many Geeks on this forum changed career direction and took up Nails/Hair/Beauty in their 40’s and beyond, including me so Go for it, if you want to. Never let others’ negative opinions hold you back.

Can't stop laughing at your comment AcidPerm ! Don't you just love this forum !

Are you 90? ;)

You’ll find many Geeks on this forum changed career direction and took up Nails/Hair/Beauty in their 40’s and beyond, including me so Go for it, if you want to. Never let others’ negative opinions hold you back.
I feel 90 atm with a 1 year old , does that count🤣

Just get on and do it! Honestly you will not regret it for a moment.
I have been in the industry since I was 19 and have enjoyed my career all the way through. There are not that many people that after nearly 40 years can actually say the same about their jobs.

Covid has really affected my client base , down by around 60% . I am near the end of my career though ,but it still makes me sad to think of how hard I have worked and it's been wiped out by the pandemic. I have introduced some new "wellness" massage experiences and it is really helping me to keep my current clients coming back and spending more time and money on the new treatments.

You are young, and looking ahead I do feel that now is a good time for you to get some training under your belt, definitely face to face and practice, practice, practice. Baby steps and soon you'll feel you can open to actual paying clients.

There are plenty of oldies on this forum that were also older starters , so don't talk yourself out of it before you have begun.
Best of luck. RosieR
Thankyou for being kind.... and calling me an oldie 😆 xx

Go for it. I’m 59 and I still want to be a hairdresser. So I’m looking for barber courses and I WILL do it. I’m past being told no fior some reason or other. Just got to find one now.

I'm 48 and have just retrained due to health and mobility issues. When I did my course I was older than anyone in the room, including the educator 😊 It matters not a jot xx

Do it !:) I retrained 3 years ago after 30 years of nursing. I did level 2 beauty then went on to do level 3 massage and level 3 nail enhancements, I'm 51 now and i love it. I still want to do more training. You're never too old. Good luck☺ xx

Thank-you all of you 😊.
Which type of courses am I best looking into? Im in Cornwall, if that makes any difference
Do it !:) I retrained 3 years ago after 30 years of nursing. I did level 2 beauty then went on to do level 3 massage and level 3 nail enhancements, I'm 51 now and i love it. I still want to do more training. You're never too old. Good luck☺ xx
Thanks 😊its the kick up the backside I needed, My hunt for courses will be much less half hearted now. Thanks ladies xx

I did my nail technology course when I was 49 and finished just before Covid hit. I am qualified but yet to take on paying clients as I am still perfecting my nails but I just love all things nails. Go for it!

Hi everyone.
So... I've always been passionate about nails. I was due to train at college in my teens, circumstances meant that didn't happen. My passion didn't die and in my 20s I had a few private lessons for pure enjoyment... fast forward to now, I find myself a single mum to a 1 year old, and when he naps im busy practicing. I just love it. I'm not bad for someone who's not touched acrylic in 20 years but I certainly wouldn't dare touch someone else nails.
So my question is ... am I too old to consider training with the hope of turning this into something lucrative, or should I keep it as a fun hobby? X
Sounds like you still have passion for it. Do it! Work at a luxury Spa with benefits.

I first trained in nails when I was 42 and beauty at 46 and still going strong over 23 years with no intention of retiring any time soon .So no never too old . I always think if I am alive and I want to do it then I will do it . Don't use age as an excuse and life becomes a whole lot better :) . Good luck

No, you are not too old.

In my experience, I found that people are quick learners when it comes to nails.

Acrylics takes a few months to become good at.

Hi everyone.

I am a single mum and I began this path at 35! I now have a salon and training Academy. I train ladies in their 70’s and as young as 16! You can do it ❤️

I am a single mum and I began this path at 35! I now have a salon and training Academy. I train ladies in their 70’s and as young as 16! You can do it ❤
That's fantastic. Thankyou xx

I did my nail technology course when I was 49 and finished just before Covid hit. I am qualified but yet to take on paying clients as I am still perfecting my nails but I just love all things nails. Go for it!
Oh what unfortunate timing for you. Things will pick up im sure. Passion is infectious you'll be great. May i ask how you trained and how long did it take ? Xx

Thank-you all of you 😊.
Which type of courses am I best looking into? Im in Cornwall, if that makes any difference

Thanks 😊its the kick up the backside I needed, My hunt for courses will be much less half hearted now. Thanks ladies xx

I went back to college and did City and Guilds part time courses. Each was 12 months long, last year I did 2 course I at the same time. The workload wasn't bad at all. I met some lovely people and was not the eldest. If you go through college you may not have to pay. I think if you don't already have a level 2 qualification its is free, you could also be eligible for an advanced learner loan xx

Go for it, you’re never too old 👍

Latest posts

Back