Too SCARED To Sculpt!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
I've just made a complete idiot of myself. I had a call from a lady who had previously been having sculptured nails at another salon, and as she is new to my area, she thought she'd call for an appointment for a new set. I Have done sculptured nails before, but only to pass my NVQ. But, even though I passed NVQ, I have never been happy with my sculpting, and I have never done this to a paying client - its always tips. I explained to the lady pretty much what I have already said, but she says that she prefers sculpts because tips "can really damage her own nails". I explained the best I could that this was not true. She has now booked in for tommorow to have tips applied - but Im so nervous - how unprofessional am I?? - I just dread the thought of trying to do sculptures on a paying client... I fell so stupid - I feel like cancelling and sending her to the salon around the corner

Arrrrr Sara you poor thing..... its sooooo nerve racking isn't it when you feel you're not up to the job. It sounds like you need to either practice sculpting on friends and family or gain further tuition ..... when you first start out its very daunting..... I know..... as I'm a newbie myself. As everyone keeps telling me you've got to keep practicing to gain cofidence but a lack of confidence can prevent you from practicing on people.... catch 22.

If you have time and you have a nail trainer...... try and have a go at sculpting before you see your client. You might surprise yourself and it may not be as bad as you think.

I find that if you hold the sculpting form with your fingers and thumbs either side, into a good curve..... then as you place it under the free edge get the curve snug with the nail before you allow the sides that you are holding to stick to their finger..... that helps.... (hope I made sense there).....

I had a right old game with my mother in laws nails as she has quite a square c-curve and they are slightly ski slope... but when I tried it the way I've just explained..... it did make a difference..... I'm still not very good at it but its just something thats clicked that makes it easier.

Hope that helps......

Hey dont cancel Sara someone has to be your first paying client for sculpts ! you could maybe offer her the choice - reduced rate for sculpts (say model rates !) or full price for tips and then let her decide

Once you get in the flow im sure you'll be fine - just take your time and try not to worry

Though Im a fine one to advise as i have not done any sculpted paying clients yet -well apart from my one client I started tipping, got to the thumbs and to say they were large was an understatement. So out came the forms, now i was nervous and havent pushed sculpting on my clients becuase i got in such a tiz with them during my course, but i had no other choice so i bit the bullet got the first form ready and omg it fitted perfectly, did the other thumb too and i was really really pleased with the results - see i had no choice

so i think bite the bullet hun and just do it - the more you / we do it the more comfortable we will be with it and im sure we'll be like everyone else soon and it will be the client asking for tips we'll be discussing !

Just go for it - have fun, dont worry and enjoy - we learn by mistakes and remember half of what we criticise ourselves / our work for, the client doesnt notice ! we just want to be perfect everytime but you have to start somewhere

kx

Sara Satchell said:
I've just made a complete idiot of myself. I had a call from a lady who had previously been having sculptured nails at another salon, and as she is new to my area, she thought she'd call for an appointment for a new set. I Have done sculptured nails before, but only to pass my NVQ. But, even though I passed NVQ, I have never been happy with my sculpting, and I have never done this to a paying client - its always tips. I explained to the lady pretty much what I have already said, but she says that she prefers sculpts because tips "can really damage her own nails". I explained the best I could that this was not true. She has now booked in for tommorow to have tips applied - but Im so nervous - how unprofessional am I?? - I just dread the thought of trying to do sculptures on a paying client... I fell so stupid - I feel like cancelling and sending her to the salon around the corner

hey just had a thought - have you read the tutorial on Super Sonic Sculpting hun ? may help

kx

I have been reading all the info on sculpts but still feel no better - I think i DO need to watch someone sculpting. My worst fear is that I have a go and completley mess up, then she goes away and tells everyone how awful I am - Im just starting out again, and there's alot of other Nail Techs around..

Thanks for your help

I have been reading all the info on sculpts but still feel no better - I think i DO need to watch someone sculpting. My worst fear is that I have a go and completley mess up, then she goes away and tells everyone how awful I am - Im just starting out again, and there's alot of other Nail Techs around..

Thanks for your help
Why don't you ask to see if anyone here can help you out in this regard.... there is no substitute for seeing it done for real I must admit.

You sound like you're really stressing about this client. If she's coming to you even though you've said you will do tips then it sounds like she's willing, so go ahead and use tips.... work with what you're confident with..... THEN...... use this experience as a learning curve....... being prepared will help your confidence...... get some tuition on sculpting....... see someone else do it...... get practicing like mad on friends and family - people you feel comfortable with........ then take the plunge and offer an introductory price.

There are always situations that will flumux us but if we use those times to improve ourselves then eventually when we become more experienced we won't worry so much that this may happen or that may happen....... (lol.... need to practice what I preach here:o I can hear all that know me saying yeah right Tamm like you really know what not worrying is!!)

Thanks Tamm for all your really helpful comments and encouragement! I do feel a little better, just still really nervous. It would be nice to have a "local support" group but I don't think there are many techs on here from the Chester area - OR ARE THERE??LOL

Hey Sara

I was looking for a nail tech a while ago for my cousins and aunt who live in wrexham hun.

Someone suggested going on the, i think, the US site for Designer Nails - they have a list of CDN master technicians there - there were quite a few listed from wales - have to say not sure from the list who is where in wales but you will have an idea of locations im sure ?

Welsh Geek also might be worth checking out her profile and finding out if she is near you ??

best wishes

kx

Sara Satchell said:
Thanks Tamm for all your really helpful comments and encouragement! I do feel a little better, just still really nervous. It would be nice to have a "local support" group but I don't think there are many techs on here from the Chester area - OR ARE THERE??LOL

Karren said:
Hey Sara

I was looking for a nail tech a while ago for my cousins and aunt who live in wrexham hun.

Someone suggested going on the, i think, the US site for Designer Nails - they have a list of CDN master technicians there - there were quite a few listed from wales - have to say not sure from the list who is where in wales but you will have an idea of locations im sure ?

Welsh Geek also might be worth checking out her profile and finding out if she is near you ??

best wishes

kx
Thanks alot Karren - will do xxxxx

Sara Satchell said:
Hey Sara I'm sooooo glad that I've been able to encourage you! It helps my confidence to know that I've been of use:biggrin:

No matter what people will say to encourage however will not take away your nerves... (I know) its only through experience that your confidence will improve and I'm with you there really I am.

Believe me I really know that you must be quite nervous about tomorrow so try and just accept that you are nervous and just tap into the stuff that you know..... You know more than she does which is a good start.... its easy to be intimitated by people so just remember she has come to you....not the other way round and you're the one there to help her.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow....... I'm on a course tomorrow and will be nervous too so you're not alone!

If you can't find anyone from here that can help then see how you feel about walking into a salon for a bit of work experience....... just an option if you can do it....... that way you can see it all in action and will help to see where you need to gain confidence

All the best for tomorrow!

Hi Sweetie, can't wait to hear how this turned out!! For future reference, don't force yourself into something you are not comfortable with. Let the client know exactly what services you DO and DON'T offer...period. If they are insistant, then let them go somewhere else so that they can get what they want, and be happy with the results...and avoid a possibly disastrous situation. In the meantime, learn, learn, learn!! You'll get it!! Then, when you're ready, a client like this woman will come back, and you'll be confident in your skills to get the job done right!

Thankyou ALL SOOOOOO much for your words of advice and encouragement - will let you know tonight whether im still working or not!!!

Hi Sara!

Sculpting I think is every nail techs worst fear at one time or another, my advice would be to invest in a one to one session with someone like Ant Buckley from Ezflow who can take you step by step thru the process, I spent a day with Sabrina Malik from Ezflow sculpting and it boosted my confidence enough to know if a client wants sculpts....I can do sculpts! not the best sculpts in the world, but good enough! also, don't beat yourself up, there are alot of images in the nail mags of 'perfect' nails, don't go thinking these are the same as salon nails, if we were all that good we would all be competition winners right? take a deep breath and go for it!

J xx

Well I did it and it's over! I didn't attempt to sculpt, and once she saw my nails, she said she really liked them and wanted exactly the same! Problem solved. She had natural tips, pale pink acrylic and a tiny bit of nail art - they looked really good. Just hope they last now and do me justice!! The lady was really nice - I can't beleive I got so worked up over it all.

But thanks again everyone! And it's good to see Jo-Jo back! Im really pleased about your news!!!

well done girl, she has probably been told in the past that sculpts are stronger than tips and thought they were better. i'm glad it turned out o.k for you, i must admit i tie myself in knots over things and they are rarely as bad as you expect. there's even a proper name for it you know, it's called CATASTROPHIC THINKING ! ;)
Sara Satchell said:
Well I did it and it's over! I didn't attempt to sculpt, and once she saw my nails, she said she really liked them and wanted exactly the same! Problem solved. She had natural tips, pale pink acrylic and a tiny bit of nail art - they looked really good. Just hope they last now and do me justice!! The lady was really nice - I can't beleive I got so worked up over it all.

But thanks again everyone! And it's good to see Jo-Jo back! Im really pleased about your news!!!

hi sara well done on coping , i bet you have got a life long client now !! love dee

Latest posts

Back