Too young for nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJK

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can u help me plzzzz.........My little girl is 9 and wants her 1st set of nails!! Do you think she is too young? or do I do a set leave them on for a few weeks than take them off?? :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Can u help me plzzzz.........My little girl is 9 and wants her 1st set of nails!! Do you think she is too young? or do I do a set leave them on for a few weeks than take them off?? :rolleyes:
Don't do it, give her a nice french manicure instead!

Personally I think nine is too young - hope you don't mind me saying especially when she's your daughter. What about a princess pampering manicure session followed by a little nail art Stickers and decals?

MLNails
:hug:

I would'nt do it hun
I have done my 10 year olds and shes not the playing out kind or anything ,
and she still managed to break them. (they were a little long for her originally, but even after shortening them she broke them)
after a few days she wanted them off they were annoying her,

also I think it is quite difficult to do with them having such small nail beds , I know i was a little worried doing my daughters ,

It is up to you at the end of the day , but most will advise against xx
hoipe this helps hun

I honestly wouldn't even put stick on ones on her,
only because the glue on ones would be dangerous if she did knock one off,
and the ones with the little sticky tabs dont stay on too well,
if shes like my daughter she'll be moaning for you to stick them back on every two minutes lol:green:

I would just paint them nice, mabey with a few nail stickers like nailtopia ones , or the odd gem or a few simple flower desings using acrylic paint with a dotting tool or cocktail stick ect...

I've got nieces that age.. and no sorry.. polish, stickers and free hand nail art only. when they hit 16 they can choose for them selves.

I agree and wouldnt put them on her either..i actually put a clear gel overlay on my five year old daughter (as she bites her nails,cuticles so badly that they get infected) and they were off within 20 minutes of me putting them on. kids are not careful enough with them and might do some damage if they knock them etc..i would stick with polish and stickers. :)

I personally would NOT do them.

At 9, she is a child. NOT a miniature adult. Children grow up way too fast. It drives me insane when I shop for "little girl" clothes and all I can find is "mini-tart/tramp" clothes.:irked: Or try finding plain, flat, black patent dress shoes? What's with all the platform heels? What's wrong with little rompers and "mary janes"? They are little girls NOT mini-Britney Spears!

At 9, she will not appreciate the time and expense that enhancements are. She will not appreciate that she must take care, etc...

In any case, she is 9. She does NOT need enhancements.
Not even lil stick-on's.
In my honest opinion, enhancements should be reserved for when she is old enough to wear high-heels/make-up/push-up bras & thongs and I feel strongly that it's innapropriate for a child to wear these things.

HOWEVER...
In the case of a little girl who has a severe nail-biting habit that you've tried EVERYTHING to break...an honestly tried, not just token efforts.
In that case, and only then, would I consider using enhancements.
I would prefer to break a habit that is that nasty early on, before it gets too severe and too ingrained as opposed to waiting until they're teens or adults and permanent damage has already been done.

So, please don't take offense. But I truly feel it's innapropriate.
My girls are 3.5 & 5.5yrs old. I RARELY paint their nails and discourage it to avoid exactly this type of situation where they ask me at 9 or 10yrs of age for enhancements.

Paint them, draw flowers, use decals....
But no enhancements.
When she's old enough to baby-sit and pay for them herself, MAYBE do them then.

hth's and best of luck
:hug:

My daughter is 8 years old and has watched me do nails now for 4 years. She asks me all the time for them and i always say no, because i understand the concequences etc.

BUT ...lets not blow it out of proportion. The little stick on ones that nailene do are fine for special occasions, filed down to an acceptable length and removed properly.

There is a big difference between being girly and tarty! Girls wanna be girls, they like to look nice and as long as YOU set the example and teach them the difference, surely its just a bit of harmless fun.

I would say absolutely not to either enhancements or stick ons. Why oh why can't kids just be kids these days,enjoy doing kids things. They will be old enough way too soon and wish they were kids again!

I don't think I'm going to be very popular on here but if she was my daughter, I'd probably do natural overlays or short extensions if she bit her nails. I know you shouldn't do it, and don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever do it on a 9 year old client but I may do on my daughter. My daughter is only 1 at the moment but I know the time will come one day when she wants nails!

Sam xxx

Thanks 4 all your help!! Shes gonna have 2 wait :green:

Too young IMO ... a pretty manicure is a much better idea.

I dont think that this should be about the cosmetic side of this really ,
But about the practicalities ,
I mean lets face it , Im sure TJK was planning on doing a short set of natural looking enhancements anyway,
its hardly black lacey bra and thongs is it !

I understand and respect peoples oppinions about kids being kids,....
But kids watch their mums and want to be the same ,
and we are all different on the way we raise ours....

I was brought up with my hair in two plaits and ribbons ....my kids would go ballistic if i went anywhere near them with a ribbon lol :green:

My daughters wanted enhancements because I think my passion rubbed of on them....it was about excitement and bonding time ...not about them looking like jordan !

little girls like to be pampered ..so I think for the benifit of her nails a lovely pampering manicure and some pretty girlie polish with a little nail art will be lovely for her , and certainly much better for her nails than enhancements ( from experience not oppinion xx)

I also explained to my kids the benefits of manicure and the disadvantages of enhancements at their age ...
this stopped the moaning , as I think they liked the fact i didnt just say "no you are too young ..end of" now my youngest uses solar oil regulary , as she understands the benefits .

mabey you could give her her own little pack with a shine buffer ,a mini solar oil ect...encourage her to care for her nails .

My little girl, who is 3 by the way is always asking for tips!! lol!! Not a hope in hell!! She gets a wee manicure, generally sparkly enamels. I wouldnt do enhancements on my girl until she is atleast 12.
Imho, their nails are still soft and prone to breakages and you dont want to damage little ones nails so young. Like Emma said she did a set on her girl and they broke.

At such a young age they are too young to look after them properly, and as I said damage could be done, so I would steer clear! xx

bellasbath011.jpg

I painted a French manicure on my youngest's nails a couple of weeks ago, she is just turned 8 and has tiny nails . . . the polish stayed on for a week and only came off when she helped us put up the trampoline and she was fastening the springs . . .

I did her toes as well, they stayed on for 3 weeks perfect.

I wouldn't enhance yet myself. Not for a long time. They are kids and do kids' things with their nails.

Anyway, where's the fun in growing up if you've already done it all when you're a kid? I see kids with highlights, high heels, etc. Plenty of time for that later I say. :hug:

i wouldnt. its not really about moralities either. just practical matters.

apart from lifestyle issues, safety needs to be taken into consideration.

i feel that the nails on a child of that age are too soft and delicate to be able to support extensions .

i also dont think that stick ons are good either. the glue bond can be very strong and if they happen to knock them it could cause damage to the nail beneath.

i think a manicure and nail art is the right desicion.
great for her and a brilliant chance to practice your nail art too.
you'd feel really awful if she ended up hurting herself.

I don't think I'm going to be very popular on here but if she was my daughter, I'd probably do natural overlays or short extensions if she bit her nails. I know you shouldn't do it, and don't get me wrong, I wouldn't ever do it on a 9 year old client but I may do on my daughter. My daughter is only 1 at the moment but I know the time will come one day when she wants nails!

Sam xxx
My 5 year old wants p/w enhancements, the closest she gets is a french mani.....when she is old enough and proficient enough to do my nails, I will do hers!

Latest posts

Back