Top and base coats with different branded polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloemills

Reaction score
Does anyone mix brands? For example use a top/base coat from one brand and the colour from another? If so do you find it affects anything?

Does anyone mix brands? For example use a top/base coat from one brand and the colour from another? If so do you find it affects anything?

As we talking about nail polish or gel polish here please?

I mix Jessica and artistic gels and have no problems as they are essentially the same product just branded differently. I made the mistake of not using TGB base and top with their colour once when I forgot to pack them for a mobile client and paid the price as had extreme product breakdown.
I have now learnt my lesson and never mix brands and ensure I have the correct lamp for each brands.

Normal polish and not gel I do mix and have no issues xx

Thank you everyone for your replies, I was under the same impression you couldn’t, however had heard a few people say you could but assumed this would not have the same affect

Gelish advertised that their base and top coats could be used with other brands' color coats. I did that and saw no negative impacts. But that was years ago and I think it is a bad practice. As long as you still use the proper lamp for each brand, the problem is not one of curing, but of product breakdown. I do think brands made from the same parent company probably work fine together (Artistic Colour Gloss - Gelish-Red Carpet, IBD-TruGel-ProGel, etc.), but probably isn't really good enough.

In general, if the chemist who developed the products didn't consider it or test it, don't do it. As many companies private label the same products from the same factories, it could work ok, but it is pot luck.

Latest posts

Back