Top coat "spiking"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
i use ibd gel & the last few sets i've done the top coat has got spikes on the surface after curing, does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know whats causing it?

I had this happen allot at 1st. try flash curing it before you put it all the way in to the light. So just hold the fingers outside a bit for about 10 sec. close to the light and you should be fine.

i use ibd gel & the last few sets i've done the top coat has got spikes on the surface after curing, does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know whats causing it?

Is that using the 'IBD Intense Seal' uv top coat?

If it is, myself and quite a few other geeks suffered the same problem with this top coat - I never had it with any other, or since & I use CND Brisa Topcoat for my Brisa Gels & GF21 Quattro for my L&P, with no probs at all.

It could be that you have too thick a layer on, or there's still an bit of oil on the surface of the nail or dust particles? I tried everything to stop the spiking with this IBD product, but couldn't, so changed.

I too have had this issue with the intense seal.... i gave it away for a bad joke.I was loosing to much time buffing it off and starting again.. drove me nuts. and becuase u use the brush that is in the bottle if u have dust on the nail.... it goes back in the bottle and then it happens more and more....
I now just use the IBD gel clear to cap my acrylics.. leave a wonderful shine and no spiking.
u dont have to worry about to thick, to thin etc.. just a nice even layer and cure . IBD say 30 secs but i like to leave it 1-2 mins.
once i have used all the ibd i am seriously thinking of CND Brisa.
x

I too have had this issue with the intense seal.... i gave it away for a bad joke.I was loosing to much time buffing it off and starting again.. drove me nuts. and becuase u use the brush that is in the bottle if u have dust on the nail.... it goes back in the bottle and then it happens more and more....
I now just use the IBD gel clear to cap my acrylics.. leave a wonderful shine and no spiking.
u dont have to worry about to thick, to thin etc.. just a nice even layer and cure . IBD say 30 secs but i like to leave it 1-2 mins.
once i have used all the ibd i am seriously thinking of CND Brisa.
x

Yeah I am going to give OPI a go after I run out of the IBD. But for now I have it and will use it, just have to "flash cure" the crap before I put the hands in the whole way. It comes out GREAT if I do it this way. nice and shinning, just a pain in my rear to have to do it. And make SUre you cure for the full 2 min.

Yeah I am going to give OPI a go after I run out of the IBD. But for now I have it and will use it, just have to "flash cure" the crap before I put the hands in the whole way. It comes out GREAT if I do it this way. nice and shinning, just a pain in my rear to have to do it. And make SUre you cure for the full 2 min.

None of all that business with CND Brisa Gels which have a cooler cure and no discernible or uncomfortable heat spike. So many other benefits too ... hypoallergenic .. strong and durable ... long lasting ... never yellows ever etc etc.

I never would use a product that I had to warn my client about 'feeling the pain' or going through all these 'in out' 'introduce slowly to avoid heat spike' shenanigans etc. Pain, or the threat of it, should not be accepted as a regular part of a service .. it's just wrong IMO.

Last edited:
I don't think its heat spike that is being decribed here.

If its what I think you will be getting sharp 'sticky up' spikes after top coat is cured? This can happen if the top coat is applied too thickly as the particles leap to the surface to be cured and as they do they cure in mid air!

Make sure the nail is completely free from dust before applying top coat and don't apply to a shiny surface (do not buff nails to a shine - a 180 grit final file is adequate) and apply a thin layer and fully cure.

Try this and I'm sure you will have better results from your UV cured Top Coat.

I don't think its heat spike that is being decribed here.

If its what I think you will be getting sharp 'sticky up' spikes after top coat is cured? This can happen if the top coat is applied too thickly as the particles leap to the surface to be cured and as they do they cure in mid air!

Make sure the nail is completely free from dust before applying top coat and don't apply to a shiny surface (do not buff nails to a shine - a 180 grit final file is adequate) and apply a thin layer and fully cure.

Try this and I'm sure you will have better results from your UV cured Top Coat.
:eek:
Well you won't get that problem with CND either :lol: Sorry if I misunderstood!

:eek:
Well you won't get that problem with CND either :lol: Sorry if I misunderstood!

LOL Geeg! No we were not talking Heat ;). And I will be going to CND when this stuff is gone lol.

thanks will try a thinner layer, its not a heat spike it was the shape sticky up type!! lol!!

Latest posts

Back