Top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenJ

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this site and so far have found it very interesting and helpful.

I will be starting a beauty diploma in September so I'm not qualified in manicure/pedicure yet, but I have been trying out nail art with Rio nail art pens on my friends and family. When I come to putting the top coat on, the brush seems to 'drag' the nail art paint with it. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have tried a few products: 17 double gloss top coat, Sally Hansen and anti-chip top coats as well, but all leave the same result. I've even tried leaving it for an hour before applying a top coat, but still the same. It seems such a shame when you've spent ages painting someone's nails, only for them to be runied.

Can anyone help or have any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance

Helen

I also use nail art pens/brushes too, I used to have the same problem and found that the brush would drag my 'perfect' lines and make them appear feather-like, then I started to use a little bit more topcoat/sealer on my brush and found that it didn't drag anymore.
It's just a thought though as it could be something else causing it but I found that this helped my problem.
Sandi

Thanks Sandi,

Sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. I will try using lots of top coat on the brush before I paint it on, see if that's any better.

Thank you for your help.
Helen

You could wait a few minutes for the paint to dry before putting on your top coat to. :lol:

oooh p.s. I use SpecialFX nail art pens, you know... the ones with the 'take-off' lids for dotting etc, I use their sealer too.
Does it make a difference if you mix products?
btw, you're very welcome :biggrin:
Sandi

I dont think it make alot of difference mixing products for Nail Art. You are not supposed to mix nail extension products ie, using the same system with the liquid and powder. I think that if you let the design dry for a few minutes in between and then put on you top coat you will not get the feathering. :biggrin:

When you top coat nail art, no matter which top coat if there's not enough on your brush or your too firm with your brush your designs will drag, You need to "float" your brush over the top it's the pressure your using to apply it thats causing this to happen

Hope this helps
Love Paula xx

as paula says you have to make sure your top coat brush does not touch your design.
dip your brush and when you get the blob on the end of it glide the blob down over the design you should be able to do it using no more than 3 strokes.
p.s sorry about the lack of technical wording :green:

'blob' works well for me hehe

Latest posts

Back