Top Coats

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Morris

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good top that gives a high shine but that is also UV protective?

Am I right in thinking that UV top coats are ones that glow under ultraviolet lights as well as protecting nails from Sunbeds etc?

I was going to order Super Shiney from Creative, but if anyone can recommend a top coat that does both and where I can order one from?

Thank you

Hi Stephanie

Two I know of and have used are UV Enhancer by Supply Source at www.nailsplusbeauty.com and Total Eclipse available from Designer Nails.

SuperShiney does protect from UV (thats why its purple) as well as give a super shine PLUS it is also a quick drying top coat. Three things in one - FOUR it comes in a gorgeous 2.5 oz bottle!

I like Elegant Glass Perfect Finish...it is hard as a rock even if you only air dry, but is a UV topcoat.

geeg said:
SuperShiney does protect from UV (thats why its purple) as well as give a super shine PLUS it is also a quick drying top coat. Three things in one - FOUR it comes in a gorgeous 2.5 oz bottle!
:?

Hi Geeg

When I asked for a top coat with UV Protectors, I was told it was Speedey that had this, and that it would help prevent brittleness and yellowing and that Super Shiney (the purple one) was just a fast-drying, high-gloss top coat? Could you advise what the difference is between the two, apart from one being clear and the other purple as I'm confused now as I did tell them I wanted it with UV protectors?

Speedy is the fast dry top coat whereas Super shiny dries slower but last longer (especially against yellowing)

Here is a general rule of -> :thumbsup: (thumb)

The faster something sets... the faster it ages and breaks down.
Take L&P for example. The faster it sets, the faster it will age show signs of yellowing, and become brittle.

Its a bit of a trade off: Speed vs. longevity.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that - you've set my mind at rest :D !

By the way, I am just loving this Forum - I'm picking up so many hints and tips along the way (and, if I had any doubts before, I now know I definitely want to take the CND course - I was feeling a little resentful that having done the VTCT Nail Tech course, I still had to do the 4 day course with CND :pale: but reading all these posts, I can see just how lacking these college courses can be) - Faaaaantastic site!!! :salute:

The Nail Geek said:
Speedy is the fast dry top coat whereas Super shiny dries slower but last longer (especially against yellowing)

Here is a general rule of -> :thumbsup: (thumb)

The faster something sets... the faster it ages and breaks down.
Take L&P for example. The faster it sets, the faster it will age show signs of yellowing, and become brittle.

Its a bit of a trade off: Speed vs. longevity.

Hope this helps

Okay, I'm sorry Geek but I'm back on this one :rolleyes:!

I went back to stock up this time on Super Shiney and, deciding on the lovely big bottles, decided to just go ahead and get all of them :pig:!

Anyhows, I now see on the reverse of the Speedey box that it actually recommends using Super Shiney after applying polish, and THEN applying Speedey after this and re-applying Speedey every couple of days to "maintain flexibility"...etc, etc. This seems a bit wierd to be encouraging the use of two different top coats doesn't it :?? Would you bother, or just stick to SS? Its just thrown me because you recommend SS for the reasons given and yet Creative seem to be implying that its Super Shiney doing the works!

Sorry to be still on this subject.....I'll try and think of something else to drive you mad with next Geek! :hit:

hollyballoo said:
I went back to stock up this time on Super Shiney and, deciding on the lovely big bottles, decided to just go ahead and get all of them :pig:!

Anyhows, I now see on the reverse of the Speedey box that it actually recommends using Super Shiney after applying polish, and THEN applying Speedey after this and re-applying Speedey every couple of days to "maintain flexibility"...etc, etc. This seems a bit wierd to be encouraging the use of two different top coats doesn't it :?? Would you bother, or just stick to SS? Its just thrown me because you recommend SS for the reasons given and yet Creative seem to be implying that its Super Shiney doing the works!

Sorry to be still on this subject.....I'll try and think of something else to drive you mad with next Geek! :hit:

Gonna have to look into that one... I think the idea there is that Speedey is a quick dry topcoat that will keep your colour protected.
You would already have an application with Super Shiney and the Speedey would be a sort of 'top up'...

But as I said... ill have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back