Top Gear - our cousins across the pond take it sooo seriously!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Skin Day

Reaction score
I thought last Sunday's Top Gear was hilarious! With their little road trip to the US....buying cars in Florida, nearly getting killed in Alabama, eating roadkill cow :lol:

Not for one second did I think anyone would take offence from these (virtually self-confessed) prats! Apart from the er....'lovely'....people in the gas station...:eek: But it seems like some Americans, after years of us trying to get them to understand our humour, see Jeremy Clarkson as the devil incarnate for this latest episode, and for dissing their beloved Corvette in the past!

I occasionally visit a Subaru Forester forum which is international, and there was a recent thread on the 'Europe' board from an American guy, who was a bit upset about Top Gear's recent road trip....

Top Gear...Jeremy Clarkson - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

*Hey mods - hope you don't mind me posting this link....I don't think many will abscond from The Salon Geek to go start posting here, but remove it if it's considered spam*

I used to live in LA when I was younger and go back a lot, I love the US! And most of the people I know over there have an amazing sense of humour. But I can't help giggling when some US peeps take Top Gear seriously and actually get indignant about JC, Captain Slow and Hamster and their silly comments....how VERY dare they?! :lol:

(On the link to that thread, about seven posts down there is a 'Revocation of Independence' joke...it is amazing!)

I think the british sense of humour using irony, sarcasm and wit is hysterical, however it is well known that other nations dont 'get' it! Hell,some nations laugh at the three stooges and other simple visual based humour which I dont get at all.
Each to his own...
I dont think what jezza did was offensive at all. Taking the mick out of national institutions like religeon, politics and sport is a way of life here in the UK. I dont think the the majority of brits have any sacred issues left. There were jokes within hours of the july bombings, queen mothers death, steve irwin, the tsunami and 911. Not saying its right, and some people were uncomfortable.

I'm watching it now and am crying with laughter.:lol: :lol: :lol: That bit with the cow.......:eek:
The British sense of humour is totally different to the rest of the world(excluding the Irish, Australians and New Zealanders in my experience). Some people find things hilarious which others may find offensive. Such is life. If that bloke found it offensive he should have turned it off. Jeremy Clarkson speaks his mind, that's all.

o my god it was hillarious!! i usually moan when my boyfriend 'insists' we watch this but we both laughed the whole way through!!
when he showed u p with a cow on the roof!!! laughed and laughed and laughed!! and yes the gas station people were well scary!!!

tori xx
(still laughing about it)

Yes it was one the best things on tv I have seen in a long while, they didn't arf poo their pants on that garage forecourt. Classic and utterly hilarious!!!:lol:

And how sexy was Richard in that hat? May have to go for a little lie down......

i love top gear - i been a big fan for years and i wont have a bad word said against it! xx

I agree this episode was brilliant...we watched it last night and I was crying laughing :lol: the road kill part, where he ran over it :lol:

And how sexy was Richard in that hat? May have to go for a little lie down......
Know how potty you are about Richard, so here's another pic for your collection.

Know how potty you are about Richard, so here's another pic for your collection.

Ooh, yummy! Thanks hun. I think I need therapy before this spirals out of control and I end up stalking him!!!:eek:

Some body mention Richard Hammond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Sal......bet you wondered how long it would take me to appear!!:)

I mean really I can not see how any one could take Top Gear so seriously. They remind me of the old men in Last of the summer wine. Always up to no good.

As said before, it really is a clash between the British and US sense of humour!

Nothing will stop me loving it!

PMSL.:lol: Was getting worried about you!

I worry about me too!:lol:

The British sense of humour is totally different to the rest of the world(excluding the Irish, Australians and New Zealanders in my experience). .
Well there are at least two/three households down here in NZ that love the British sense of humour and are hugely influenced by it. We love watching Top Gear, Last of the Summer Wine, Benny Hill, My Family, etc, I really wish that UKTV would replay the Goodies.

Ooh, yummy! Thanks hun. I think I need therapy before this spirals out of control and I end up stalking him!!!:eek:

I mean really I can not see how any one could take Top Gear so seriously. They remind me of the old men in Last of the summer wine. Always up to no good.

As said before, it really is a clash between the British and US sense of humour!

Nothing will stop me loving it!

Trust you three to aid this thread's descent into an extension of "men we fancy but really shouldn't"!! Put your raging hormones away :lol:

Ahem, must say all three of the boys were looking rather delish....really digging the whole sweaty look they had going on....JC in a shower in a Chev?? Heaven! :green:

Love Top Gear! They are doing something with a Reliant Robin this Sunday. Cant wait.
:eek:

Trust you three to aid this thread's descent into an extension of "men we fancy but really shouldn't"!! Put your raging hormones away :lol:

Ahem, must say all three of the boys were looking rather delish....really digging the whole sweaty look they had going on....JC in a shower in a Chev?? Heaven! :green:

He he, sorry hun. :green: However, pot and kettle methinks!!!:lol:

Totally agree!!! Richard did look hunky!! Ummmmmmmmm:) Thought its was all hilarious though, show wouldn't have been the same without him!!

Love Top Gear! They are doing something with a Reliant Robin this Sunday. Cant wait.
:eek:

Yes, something to do with a Robin Reliant being turned into a Space Shuttle.....I can't see JC and me fitting in that....think it'll be more like a Sals & Hammond-sized shuttle :lol:

Yes, something to do with a Robin Reliant being turned into a Space Shuttle.....I can't see JC and me fitting in that....think it'll be more like a Sals & Hammond-sized shuttle :lol:

Suits me!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back