Topcoat dulling gems and glitter art- help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem with a UV topcoat over polish...
Does anyone know a good one that wont crack? or why this happens?

PS: I always apply my gems over the topcoat due to the same problem, they usually stay just fine if you press them down a bit with an orangewood stick.

Speed bond is fab for applying gem's,however i agree,stones specifically for the purpose and a good quality top coat will solve your problem. I use super shiney and get my gems from a geek who also is a seller on flea bay :wink2: i'm sure her name is crystal queen,i;ll check for you,i have found her well priced and i'm sure she'd be happy to post them to sunny Cyprus ! hth's

Small Crystals

Here you go hun,just mention you're a geek lol x

I have the same problem with a UV topcoat over polish...
Does anyone know a good one that wont crack? or why this happens?

PS: I always apply my gems over the topcoat due to the same problem, they usually stay just fine if you press them down a bit with an orangewood stick.
Fortunetly, my uv topcoat has never cracked.. yet! thanks for orange stick tip!

Speed bond is fab for applying gem's,however i agree,stones specifically for the purpose and a good quality top coat will solve your problem. I use super shiney and get my gems from a geek who also is a seller on flea bay :wink2: i'm sure her name is crystal queen,i;ll check for you,i have found her well priced and i'm sure she'd be happy to post them to sunny Cyprus ! hth's

Small Crystals

Here you go hun,just mention you're a geek lol x
Thanks Becki, will check it out!

glaze and go can only be used over hard gel or acrylic have you tried ns airshield?

hi, can you put gems on top of gel or acrylic with glue (brush on ) x

Hi there,
Glaze n Go is really meant to only put over acrylic(like pink and whites). ProFinish uv topcoat is great, though.

Hi, sorry, that's what I was trying to explain, very badly by the look of it.

I think main problem is quality of your stones:rolleyes:,the best stones are Swarovski Crystals,they always are so shiny:lol:,it doesn't matter if you use them with top coat or UV gel top coat:)

yes hun, I use nsi brush on glue for my crystals, and then use a finish gel over the top, I never have any problems at all..x

hello.
its definitely the poor quality gems.
Contact helen in Cyprus on 96751141
you can get swarovski gems that will not let you down.
you will be so happy!!!

- all the russian girls in cyprus use them with CND

there are over 25 colors so lots of fun :]

You can get an air dry top coat that has a lilac tint to it.
It's often called uv topcoat or nail brightener.. etc

It's not a uv gel topcoat. It is a topcoat with uv protection that was originally designed to prevent acrylic nails from discolouring.

This topcoat is great over gems and over glitters as it really brings out the sparkle.

It's also great over all gels and acrylics as a colour enhancing topcoat - especially french. It makes the pink pinker and the white whiter.

Gina xx

yes i totally agree - the cnd air dry is perfect.

you still need good gems though.

check out www.nailcrazy.com
you can email - [email protected] to get local help on product support.
:]
( in Cyprus ) :hug:
happy new year to all

I agree with most of the replies, quality of gems, I only ever use the Spangles clear ones if I want shine as they stay shiny whatever you do with them :) They are more expensive but who wants dull sparkly or rather not sparkly bits on their toes? I apply a basecoat (Seche), 2 coats polish (essie), top coat (Seche Vite) push gem in and re top coat. My gems are there til they come back and that can be 3 months!!

Also re the glitter, this Christmas I mixed fine glitter and an irredecent powder in with my gel in a small amount and used that as the white bit of a french finish and looked fab. It stayed smooth and immediately dry.

Happy practicing

Thanks for all the replies :) and sharing what works for you. victoria x

Beautiful rhinestones rely on their "facets" or sharp eges/cuts, to make them really sparkle or "BLING",

If you put topcoat over them ..... no matter what anyone says, if you topcoat them, this will dull the "facets" and make them look like cheap plastic shyte.

Sink them into semi-wet polish or gel, but never cover the entire stone, this will secure them by a fraction of their sides, allowing them to "shine/sparkle" without taking away from their brilliance.

Anyone who invests in expensive stones (only to cover them in topcoat) just makes them look like cheap plastic, ...... and loses the whole point of rhinestones/crystals ......

They should be surrounded (almost embedded in a pool of polish/gel),
but NEVER covered.

Covering them in polish is almost like making their corners rounded and will loose the desired sparkle of a gemstone.

I welcome any photos proving otherwise.

Hi There

I've had a similar problem using normal topcoats.

I use Calgel so what i've started doing now is using their topcoats on clients when I do both gel nailart and normal nailart. I've not had a problem since. They do a clear topcoat which is great, but also their CalCrystal, which is a clear lilac, really brings the nailart to life. I use it all the time and it's never affected any of my stones.

When I use gel and stones i set the stones into the gel and cure them into the gel, then put CalCrystal over the top and it works brilliantly.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back