Topcoat dulling gems and glitter art- help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tori

Reaction score
Hi everyone, was practacing some nail art yesterday on tips. Basically, I painted all the tips with 2 coats of polish, and then added my gems whilst still a bit tacky. To create a french glitter tip; i waited until polish was dry, then painted my 'french' in clear topcoat and dipped in glitter. They all came out fine until i brushed on topcoat to seal it all in! Both gems and glitter lost all their sparkle big time!... wanted to scream:mad:!.. any ideas on how i can stop this happening? Is there a particular topcoat that gets around this problem?.. (I have the cnd range of topcoats). I understand the difference between using acylic and superior crystal gemstones, but as i,m not up and running as a nail salon yet, dont want to splash out on the real thing just to practice my nail art just yet. Also I do believe the glitter I have is micro Graphix glitter. Many thanks in advance, Victoria xxx

I'm having the same problem, i think its to do with the quality of the gems rather than the topcoat as it does not happen with all my gems

I don't apply topcoat over my stones. I apply a dab of resin to the nail, then apply the stone onto that. I do this on my nails every time and my stones will stay there until I soak them off.

Don't paint your top coat over your stones. Either paint around them or put a top coat over the whole nail and then apply the stones into that. HTH x

I've just tried applyin a gem with top/basecoat only on the underside but will they still have the same stayin power as applyin a topcoat over them? They certainly hold their sparkle more

thanx hunnies, thought through the process of topcoat 1st (to protect all of nail) and yep, will have a play around with just applying gems onto topcoat layer and/or waiting til topcoat dry, then fixing gems with resin. however still cant phathom out how to topcoat over glitter and still keep shine?... cant leave glitter exposed as its not smooth to touch. any more ideas?

I,m pretty sure that applying resin to secure gems will hold them for a longer period of time than just the top coat method. I also experimented using cnd,s uv topcoat (not over gems) as i feel it just gives it that bit more holding power. will use a different method on each of my own nails tonite and see what holds the best!.. still dont know what to do about 'french' glitter though!!

Funnily, my glitter doesn't dull with a topcoat but my gems do lol

Funnily, my glitter doesn't dull with a topcoat but my gems do lol
how annoying!.. im pretty sure that in the past when i had swavoski (cant spell) crystals on the shine stayed.. but another salon that I went to used a cheaper brand on my gel nails and they we not half as shiny. what gems do you use?

A couple of months ago I put some Essie Wicked on my toes with a couple of gold flicks from the corner. When it was dry I popped a tiny dot of tip glue in the corner and popped my stone onto that. Painted top coat over nail but around the stone to finish. Both stones on my big toes stayed on for three and a half weeks!!!

When I took it off I had to just very lightly buff the glue off but it had two coats of polish and a base coat beneath it so finished off with a bit of remover... hey presto!! :)

I have rhinestones and glitter on mine quite often and have found that when ive done my art I seal it in with a layer of uv gel sealant and everything stays super sparkly.
hth's

I use gems i bought from ebay which were 'cheap' and they lose sparkle with topcoat, i also use gems from my local market which dont lose sparkle lol i thought about using nail glue but concerned about possible damage to natural nails?

I have rhinestones and glitter on mine quite often and have found that when ive done my art I seal it in with a layer of uv gel sealant and everything stays super sparkly.
hth's

I haven't had any luck with uv top coat over varnish. The top coat seems to crack. :(

Which one do you use?
Have you tried using a different one?

I use NSI glaze and go. The top coat cures fine, it's as if the varnish is still wet but it's totally dry before I put it on. I've tried it over two thin coats and have left them to dry first still cracks.

I use gems i bought from ebay which were 'cheap' and they lose sparkle with topcoat, i also use gems from my local market which dont lose sparkle lol i thought about using nail glue but concerned about possible damage to natural nails?

I know what you mean. I don't glue them directly onto the nail, I glue them onto the dry enamel. You still have to buff them off gently but I don't buff the nail. I stop when the glue is gone and then use enamel remover. Works for me. :)

I use NSI glaze and go. The top coat cures fine, it's as if the varnish is still wet but it's totally dry before I put it on. I've tried it over two thin coats and have left them to dry first still cracks.

Try Quattro by Star nails, I use it and have never had any problems with it, its fab :)

I use IBD clear gel over my gems.. they were cheap from ebay too.. they seem to be ok when i coat them?... IBD gel has a great shine any way.

Not sure about the glitter... sorry.I only do enchancements so i have learnt to put a clear coating over before finsihing the nail off.

X good luck.

Hi there,
Glaze n Go is really meant to only put over acrylic(like pink and whites). ProFinish uv topcoat is great, though.

Well i had a go applying my cheapy gems onto uv pro finish..they didnt last very long, but did shine more than when they were covered with a topcoat layer. Then i tried using gelbond.. They lasted a little longer, but the adhesive seemed to dull the shine. From my trials and error, i sense its really got alot to do with the gems i,m using rather than the topcoat or adhesive. Will add swarovski crystals to my list of wants! Thanks to everyone who posted with their help and ideas.:)

Latest posts

Back