Totally losing confidence!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not really posing a question but more of a rant I guess. I'm just so annoyed right now.

I am HND qualified. Finished my course last year. Didn't have a salon job through college as I was living on my own and not at home and couldn't afford to work for minimum wage so I kept on as a security guard. Left college, worked in a salon for maybe 5months? Salon owner decided to cut my days so I decided that I had to find full time work.

Couldn't get into a salon so went back into hospitality. Been working as mobile since but not had much business despite all my efforts. So I set up a Facebook page, invited all my friends. Half of them liked the page, 2 of them came to me for treatments. Only had one problem with one finger (shellac) which I fixed and said friend was so awesome about it.

However, a third person (mutual friend) keeps bringing it up, saying how s*** Shellac is etc etc and she'd never get it (she doesn't even like my Fbook page), and even though I've done treatments for her before and she was really pleased she now has gone back to her original beautician but still snidely slates my work.

Today alone I saw her comment on someone elses photograph of Shellac saying that she had seen one persons peel off after one day (referring to the one nail that came away with our mutual friend). I was boiling and I wanted to post up something about it as the nail hadn't simply peeled, the nail itself was peeling as she had peeled off her previous application and then she caught it on her denim skirt and it had ripped off completely.

I am just so fe dup with it! Beauty and nails was all I really wanted to do and a put it off til i was 25 to do it. I'm 27 now, pregnant so god knows when I'll get back to work and I can't seem to get a foot in the door anywhere. I get no support from friends, I can't get any help with funding or grants even though I am not working just now because of the pregnancy.

I got a wee lease of life last week because I did a Minx training course and I asked if I could set up at a summer fete for a care home next week and I was so excited but this week has totally dragged me down. Aside form this daft thing I was messed about by a buyer on ebay which left me short money wise, and the same with a few Avon customers (Yes, avon...not salon material but I needed the extra money!) and after investing all my time and money on all the products etc to keep hitting brick walls with jobs and so on....it's just tired me out.

5 weeks to go til I have my baby so its not like I can go totally nuts trying to promote myself but seriously thinking of just closing down my facebook page, saying forget the fete and just see what happens after baby is born. I've been working so hard to try and be better at what I do as I know a qualification doesn't make you good at your job, even though I've never had a proper workplace mentor to go to for advice...and I cant blame everyone else for the areas I'm lacking but i'm finding it so hard to keep going and to stay confident when it's just a constant struggle. I don't even think I've broken even yet and I've been mobile since November last year...

Seriously. Think I need a break. Might be hormonal, but I know when I'm flogging a dead horse :(

Hi, how about you take it easy for the next few weeks until baby is here, have some time off with baby and reassess how you feel after this?

I would still go to the fete as every opportunity is worth taking and hopefully will keep you in people's minds.

As for the girl slating Shellac, I would just ignore her completely and not give her the satisfaction of replying, easier said than done but she is only one person.

Sending a wee virtual hug and keep your chin up😊xxx

First off you have done really well to be working still and pregnant I'm at the same stage as you and it's not easy I stopped working weeks ago! I had a mobile business and moved recently to a new area too so thats part of the reason i stopped but the break has been great its made me realise that i love what i do and want to get back into it. Maybe a little break will do you good :) I will be starting from scratch again after baby and I built up quite a client base but looking forward to the challenge again and hopefully the plan is to start renting from somewhere this time.
The fete sounds like a good idea still go ahead with it if you can manage and then take a couple of weeks to yourself before baby comes. Don't shut your Facebook page down completely either just deactivate it if you need time away and then you can keep it going and still post on it especially when you intend on coming back to work
Chin up you can't please everyone don't listen to her so what if one nail popped off they're not indestructible and most people will agree shellac is amazing your friend was happy with them so i wouldn't worry
Congrats on your pregnancy and take these last few weeks easy :)

Last edited:
Aww lovely chin up! Yes your hormones are probably playing a big part in how you feel- 5 weeks left lovey till your new bundle- now thats exciting!

With regards to this mutual 'friend': ugh! Some people in life just really have nothing better to do- its no reflection on you but completely a reflection on them. Toughen your hide honey and let it roll off your back. If shellac is so **** why are so many ladies loving it and why are so many salon/therapists doing well (just read the posts on here alone). Ignorance on her part will get her no where.

I think some of us feel at times the way you do about our business, the trick is to learn, understand and turn it around. Write a list of things you want your business to do, read through the threads on here, create a website- my fb page has only ever gained me 2 clients in a year as opposed to website that has driven clients to my business. Starting a business is hard going isnt it and continues that way also. For me i know that i need to get myself out there so posters, leaflets, contacting local clubs and businesses etc etc- real live advertising not just internet based advertisements. Plan your attack honey!!

Ive been going almost a year and im still no where near as busy as id like to be but ive picked up a few regulars, one off holiday/party goers and word of mouth. For me its now about maintaining that and growing.

Chin up lovey and don't worry its a marathon not a race.

Love n hugs and good luck for the new bairn on the way.

X x x

What I see from your post is that you are exhausted!

I don't see any reason to lose confidence though. I think you should prioritise and the first thing I would do is stop taking it so personally when this so called friend starts to spout her poison.
Some people are just not happy unless they are stirring, or trying to make others feel bad. It's a sad fact of life and if I were you I would distance myself, for my own sanity.

Put your mental energy into positive things, or you will be a wreck by the time the bambino comes along.

:hug:

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for replying. My post was so long I kind of feel I didn't make much sense!

Just in case it wasn't quite clear why it bothered me...it snot hat she was saying the product was crap but the implication behind it is that I didn't know what I was doing with it. Said client had Shellac with me before and it didn't chip or peel, it was just circumstance that caused it I think (I think!) and its bothered me because she's mentioned it 3 or 4 times now and it was't even her nails!!

I have been planning business related things the entire time I've been on maternity leave, getting prices and getting to grips with the internet etc etc and I've read the threads on here about promoting the business so I'm really hoping I can make an impact in the run up to Christmas. I have a plan, just need to do it bit by bit because of funding (or lack thereof!)

Nicole - I AM exhausted! Lol, slightly anaemic at this stage too so just tiring out so easily. I'm sure if wasn't so hormone ravaged it wouldn't have bothered me but I am quite a perfectionist and since I only really have Salon Geek to refer to for help my confidence probably isn't as high as it should be or could be right now!

But yes, eyes on the ball..baby will be here very soon and I am sooo looking forward to it. Decided just to take a break from Facebook and I will go back in there and hit em hard after bump comes out :)

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. It means a lot on a day like today!:Love:

Latest posts

Back