Totally unacceptable

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffydreams

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I had a client call last night for a mani/pedi today at 9.45am, i had just had a cancellation so could fit her in then. She was a new client so I told her where the salon is, parking, payment, requirements etc.

I set up for her, 9.43am I get a call.
"hi, its xxxxxx."
(me) "yes, hi."

"i have an appointment now, but I'm in traffic 10 miles away after dropping my kids off at school and wont be able to get there til 10.30."

(me) *gobsmacked* "I can't do 10.30 I am fully booked all day."
"oh, right thanks. Bye then."

I was so shocked I didn't say anything. Don't get me wrong this has happened before, but the absolute cheek of it was astounding. What would you have said to this client if she called you?

I can't take pre payments or cancellation fees as I dont have a card machine and not really in a situation to get one at the moment. I was so angry, I had to go out for a walk. Still irked about it now. Any pearls of wisdom please :D xx

Oh don't.... It drives me crazy!!
At least she called, I've had a few just not show!!
What can u say!

If she asks to book again tell her she'll need to leave a dep? By PayPal, or ping it app!

I had a girl message me asking for lash appt for her and a friend!
I was pretty full bit ended up asking another client to come later so I could fit these 2 in together.
I asked if she was def for the spot before I rearranged.... Yes she was!!
Guess what, no show! No call, no message!

She removed me off FB that day too! So why not just message me!!!
Grrrrrd!

Not prof... But I text her and said how rude she was!!

Some clients really irritate me!
Want to re arrange last min, turning up late, not showing up!

I would make a note of her name and the fact that she messed you around. Keep a list of anyone who does this, dates they have either not turned up or given you the run around, plus times. When anyone calls check your list, so you're prepared. It shocks them when you remind them of what they have done. They seriously think we won't remember.:rolleyes:

Then when/ if she calls again remind her of what happened last time and point out that you will have to charge her a cancellation fee should this arise again because you couldve given her previous appointment to somebody else, if she had given the 24 hrs notice, and therefore you lost money due to her giving you a late cancelation.
It can be said nice and politely and generally let's people know that they can't keep doing it.

It doesn't always work, we will always get the serial no showers or last minute let downs but I think letting people know that you actually won't accept this type of treatment can work wonders.

You don't need a physical card machine to take a deposit or card payment; there is a service called Virtual Terminal, whereby you log onto a secure website and enter the card details of your client. You would need a MOTO MID (mail order/telephone order merchant ID) from a service provider. It costs a couple of hundred quid to set up and the lovely people at CCS would be able to advise you.
Card Compliance Services call today on 0844 8157303

It is likely to pay for itself in very short order when you consider how much you've lost with this client...

Grrr I feel your passion!!
Really frustrates me too!!
I had one last night, her appointment was for 5:45. At 5:30 she text saying she had hit traffic on way home & would be 20 mins late for her appointment was it ok? I agreed as I had an extra half hour before my next lady. By 6:20 there was still no sign of her, tried calling, no answer, left message, finally heard from
her at 7:30 saying she had decided to go straight home after work cos she was stressed after her journey home & would re book!! I too was gob smacked!!! The cheek of some people eh!!!

You NEED to have a cancellation policy. Advise new clients of it when they are booking and, if they cancel last minute or don't show, you are perfectly entitled to charge them.

Because of the service I offer, most of my clients need to attend for a patch test so I take a deposit from them then. I has really weeded out the time wasters and I haven't had a no show since I implemented it.

Here's a link to my cancellation policy if anyone wants it. It's short and sweet but I confirm all new appointments by email and link them to this page.
Cancellation Policy of Lashes & Taches Beauty Salon, Airdrie -

All you can do is..... punch a cushion, chew your fists and move on lol!
Just make a note of name and number and put it in your little black book and if she rings again (which she probably won't)...you'll be way too busy!
Treat yourself to wine and chochie tonight and you'll feel way better! :)

I had a client send me 4 or 5 messages on FB asking questions then desperate to have her lashes done for her party, begged me to try to fit her in, I moved two regualr clients as she changed her mind on timings, then she didn't even show for her appointment, I called her and left a voicemail asking to call me to see if she was ok or needed directions.
The next day she messaged me again on facebook saying she had driven to the salon the sat nav had taken her somewhere else, she didnt have the number to call so went home. I was sat twiddling my thumbs for an hour as the later client couldnt come in any earlier, really frustrating!!

Ellie - thank you for sharing you cancellation policy, fab wording and love your name too! :)

To be fair to the client, she did phone & let you know, I should think it was hardly her fault for getting stuck in traffic.

You mention she was booked in for both mani & pedi. If she was 45 mins late wouldn't you have had time to at least do one of the treatments?

I do understand everyone's frustration with those pesky clients though. Last week I had FOUR no-shows & was out of pocket by nearly £100 :mad:

The one that peed me off the most though was one who really wanted an appointment for a mani as she was going on holiday. So, booked her in for 10.15 & gave her directions how to get to me. Got set up for her and waited & waited. She phoned at 11.25 saying she couldn't find me!! She had her hubbie in the car too & she lives like 3 mins away. Shame I was fully booked (!!) & couldn't get her in before her holiday.

I'm finding though that as I get busier with my skincare/products business I have less time for clients so am black listing many who I probably wouldn't have done before.

Time to get tough on the time wasters!

Whilst I empathise with the feelings of frustration and wasted time, there is actually lots you can do to prevent it. You say you cannot afford a terminal -virtual or otherwise - but you obviously cannot afford not to! There are also apps and Paypal. Think of what you save in money and time. If they are new insist on a deposit or if they are known timewasters ask for the full amount up front.

Thankyou for all of your replies especially for the link from Lynne :) xx

Latest posts

Back