Tough clients who won't relax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Holly

Reaction score
I had a set of nails today, done for a young lady who I went to school with for a couple of years, and haven't seen in several (so more like acquaintance), and she almost had me ripping my hair out. No matter what I did, she just would not sit back, chill out, and let me do my job :irked: I'm a very, very soft person, and extremely over careful because I'm constantly worried about hurting someone (that will probably change as my confidence goes up, but anyway)

Right from the word go she was complaining. I did a extension, using clear nail tips, to her natural nails, and every time I went to clip the excess off, no matter how I held her, she'd tense and pull her finger up (obviously pulling the tip down), then she'd complain. I took a couple of deep breaths, and explained to her that she had to relax, that the clippers were no where near her finger, and were only cutting the plastic, but if she kept tensing it could pull the tip off which would hurt. So we got through that, then while trying to do her acrylics, she kept trying to tilt her hand back to watch what I was doing and "see how they're turning out". Another calm explanation of "I really need you to try relax, so I can see what I'm doing" got a reply of "well I'm a control freak, and I like seeing what you're doing" (no word of a lie) I'm so not looking forward to the re balance :| how would anyone who's been doing this longer than I have handle it if she still refuses to settle and let me do my job next time??

I haven't had this experience with nail clients but with my hair clients. I tend to get them chatting away so they have their mind taken off it. Just keep reassuring her. You could always talk her through what your doing as well. That's what I do with very nervous hair clients

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

When clients are tensing their hands, I'll just gently remind them every so often to relax and if that doesn't work I'll tell them that if they can see their nail it means I can't!

Thank you! Meira, I love that point. I'm half considering putting in a radio or similar just to have background noise (only just setting up my room) so even if conversation does waiver, there's something else there to "fill in the gaps" between chatter and just have it playing softly so it's not obtrusive?

I have a tv that I put the radio on or ask the client if there is something they want to watch. It's strange for some people and they hear horror stories! I'm scared of hairdressers lol and I am one! Don't like people touching my hair. They hurt me or don't listen to what I want (previous had experiences) so I do it all myself or I get a junior to do it while I instruct them step by step by step like and over baring husband letting his wife drive! It's just breaking the ice and relaxing the clients

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I had a set of nails today, done for a young lady who I went to school with for a couple of years, and haven't seen in several (so more like acquaintance), and she almost had me ripping my hair out. No matter what I did, she just would not sit back, chill out, and let me do my job :irked: I'm a very, very soft person, and extremely over careful because I'm constantly worried about hurting someone (that will probably change as my confidence goes up, but anyway)

Right from the word go she was complaining. I did a extension, using clear nail tips, to her natural nails, and every time I went to clip the excess off, no matter how I held her, she'd tense and pull her finger up (obviously pulling the tip down), then she'd complain. I took a couple of deep breaths, and explained to her that she had to relax, that the clippers were no where near her finger, and were only cutting the plastic, but if she kept tensing it could pull the tip off which would hurt. So we got through that, then while trying to do her acrylics, she kept trying to tilt her hand back to watch what I was doing and "see how they're turning out". Another calm explanation of "I really need you to try relax, so I can see what I'm doing" got a reply of "well I'm a control freak, and I like seeing what you're doing" (no word of a lie) I'm so not looking forward to the re balance :| how would anyone who's been doing this longer than I have handle it if she still refuses to settle and let me do my job next time??

I hate to admit it, but I am probably just like that client. FWIW, don't take it personally. It's not about you; it's just the way we are.

The more you tell a control freak what to do, the more controlling they become. You say, "RELAX!" No, we tense up. Give her choices, divert that need for control away from you. What I find works is distraction. A tv show or radio station we hate is a big annoyance and makes us even more controlling Let her choose the tv or radio or cd, let her pick the settings on the massage chair. Ask her every once in a while if this way of touching or that is okay for her. Figure out if she's the kind that wants to talk or listen or just sit in silence. In short, give her control of anything you can let go of.

I have a mix on my iPod of relaxing, current and golden oldie music. Most of my girls now sing along and are always saying "I love this song' or "this reminds me of....." I have one client who drives me bonkers over relaxing but soon as a song she loves comes on she chills out! Xxx

Latest posts

Back