Towels - invest in washing machine or use a laundry service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are renovating at present and in the position of putting in a commercial washing machine. Currently we are using a weight-based laundry service (they will charge based on dry weight). Questions:
  1. for those who have a washing machine - is it worth its while? (assume that we will be washing a fair bit as we grow)
  2. who does the washing? Therapists at the end of the day?
  3. What about drying. Would you have to invest in a separate dryer?
  4. any unforeseen issues which any of you have found?
  5. in terms of cost - is it more cost effective?
  6. commercial or domestic washing machine?
Thank you. Would love an input from both users in salons with machines and those who own or have had experience in the past.

When I looked into the options I was concerned that I might have staff using too many towels if they all went to a commercial laundry, so I decided to wash in house. I wash the towels which means that I take great interest in towel usage.

I have a good quality domestic washing machine which I bought for around £450. I have a water softener fitted and I always use Calgon. I do 2 loads most days up to 8kg. My last one lasted 4 years and the current one has given no trouble in 21/2 years. I have a similar quality tumble dryer which has lasted 6 years but is now on its last legs.

A commercial washing machine is much quicker which may have a bearing on my choice next time.

Including the cost of the washing machine makes home laundry surprisingly expensive. I haven't included the cost of labour in my calculations - It takes no time at all to load, but folding laundry can take therapists ages.

I found that my towels were too absorbent and took too long to wash and dry, so I replaced them with waffle towels which hold less moisture. I also bought some microfibre towels which don't need tumble drying - I didn't know that they release plastic fibres into the water table. We use microfibre mitts for facials and sarongs under towels to cover clients so that we wash the sarong rather than a heavy towel.

I've spent time trying to reduce our use iof unsustainable fabrics (cotton needs loads of water and chemicals to grow so is unsustainable - bamboo is better) energy and water. Being environmentally aware is better for my pocket as well as the planet.

I am now looking into disposable ba,boo towels to reduce our towel use even more. I like scrummi but there are other brands. As my towels reach the end of their life I'm asking myself whether I can swop them for disposables.

Hello everyone,

We are renovating at present and in the position of putting in a commercial washing machine. Currently we are using a weight-based laundry service (they will charge based on dry weight). Questions:
  1. for those who have a washing machine - is it worth its while? (assume that we will be washing a fair bit as we grow)
  2. who does the washing? Therapists at the end of the day?
  3. What about drying. Would you have to invest in a separate dryer?
  4. any unforeseen issues which any of you have found?
  5. in terms of cost - is it more cost effective?
  6. commercial or domestic washing machine?
Thank you. Would love an input from both users in salons with machines and those who own or have had experience in the past.

I work from home so I’m probably using way less than you but I was getting really irked by my towels getting so dry. I was doing 3 loads a day once you added my own clothes on top.

I ordered a few samples of eco friendly disposables and loved them.

It worked out that each wash I was doing was approx £2 in terms of water, elec, washing powder & my time.

The disposable towels are just wonderful. I bought the cheaper ones as realistically unless I’m doing something really relaxing extra comfort isn’t needed as client is clothes and can’t feel it.

I use disposable couch covers for massage and waxing, then a cut in half spa towel as a cover up. I use the other half to go over the pillow (you can buy disposable pillowcases that are just lovely but this feels just as soft). They only have their tops off so it works.

I also save on smaller towels as I cut the spa towels down further. Eg mani pedi I don’t do a ton of so it isn’t worth me buying a box of 500 a time. It works out 7p each and I usually only need 2 paper towel sized pieces per service. Instead of a whole wash load of towels. The disposables can be wringed out and rinsed easily to be used again through the same service unlike regular towels. I use twice that size for feet.

When cut to small hand towel size they also make excellent facial towels and go in the steamer (but for less time as they can start to overheat as I found out) so no need for a long steam using elec.

The bio mitts from scrummi make for the best tan mitt I’ve used. I used one per service!! One side for prep, one for after buff. The flannels when I give to client to wipe their chest area you can feel the tan through them so end up wiping their hands to remove it, but these don’t transfer tan through them. So 2 mitts per tan. Instead of 2/3 flannel mitts and a towel under their feet. I now sometimes use half a wax couch cover in the tent to stand on but usually don’t need anything but a quick wipe with a cloth after now. Years ago I was much messier so way more overspray and needed a towel to stop them slipping.

Before this I was using so much stuff and never seemed to have enough towels. I still have them for backup in case I ever change my mind. But this is going to make summer a breeze.

Ooh, thanks for this info about scrummi towels. I've been contemplating cutting up the towels but wasnt sure if this was bonkers. I never thought about half sheets for part undressed clients - genius!

Good to know also that the towels can be rinsed and wring out and also heated. I'll bite the bullet and get some more in.

Wow, this has taken me quite a while to digest but I'm now thinking of not getting a machine based on your experiences. The thought of 2 loads of wash a day is too much to handle. Then there's the drying! I have tried Easydry which is really good quality. Not familiar with Scrummi so can't compare the 2 brands.

I work from home so I’m probably using way less than you but I was getting really irked by my towels getting so dry. I was doing 3 loads a day once you added my own clothes on top.

I ordered a few samples of eco friendly disposables and loved them.

It worked out that each wash I was doing was approx £2 in terms of water, elec, washing powder & my time.

The disposable towels are just wonderful. I bought the cheaper ones as realistically unless I’m doing something really relaxing extra comfort isn’t needed as client is clothes and can’t feel it.

I use disposable couch covers for massage and waxing, then a cut in half spa towel as a cover up. I use the other half to go over the pillow (you can buy disposable pillowcases that are just lovely but this feels just as soft). They only have their tops off so it works.

I also save on smaller towels as I cut the spa towels down further. Eg mani pedi I don’t do a ton of so it isn’t worth me buying a box of 500 a time. It works out 7p each and I usually only need 2 paper towel sized pieces per service. Instead of a whole wash load of towels. The disposables can be wringed out and rinsed easily to be used again through the same service unlike regular towels. I use twice that size for feet.

When cut to small hand towel size they also make excellent facial towels and go in the steamer (but for less time as they can start to overheat as I found out) so no need for a long steam using elec.

The bio mitts from scrummi make for the best tan mitt I’ve used. I used one per service!! One side for prep, one for after buff. The flannels when I give to client to wipe their chest area you can feel the tan through them so end up wiping their hands to remove it, but these don’t transfer tan through them. So 2 mitts per tan. Instead of 2/3 flannel mitts and a towel under their feet. I now sometimes use half a wax couch cover in the tent to stand on but usually don’t need anything but a quick wipe with a cloth after now. Years ago I was much messier so way more overspray and needed a towel to stop them slipping.

Before this I was using so much stuff and never seemed to have enough towels. I still have them for backup in case I ever change my mind. But this is going to make summer a breeze.
could i ask where you get your eco disposable from? i'm struggling to find any! thankyou

You can buy Scrummi towels direct from Scrummi or from Ellisons who stock a limited selection. Occasionally Ellisons do a 20% discount offer which i took advantage of when I wanted to try some. Only they're not always in stock which is irritating.

Scrummi are very reasonable and they're great for beauty.

Latest posts

Back