Toxic chemicals in polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
I read this too on the daily mail. It mentioned the names and i didnt reconise any of them!!

Yes, these chemicals are in some pro nail products.

Contact your distributer and ask for a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for each product you use. You can download them from some sites.

That way, if you have a client who has an allergy to a particular substance, you can check if the products you use contain that particular substance.

CND is 3 free....

In both their nail polish and Shellac
no tolulene, no formaldehyde, no Dibutyl Phthalate

NSI Spa Ritual is 3 Free too!!

It is a little shocking. Ive always use T & F free.
Mind you, along time ago, in pearly type polishes, they used to use fish scales to get the effect ! :eek:

that was never listed !

one of my favorite quotes to use
" Everything is poisonous, nothing is poisonous, it is all a matter of dose."

I guess it would also depend on what one was doing with the products .....

sniffing the solvents out of an innocent looking a can of whipped cream CAN kill , stupid thing to do though!

i believe not using something properly is known as substance abuse .

I read this too on the daily mail. It mentioned the names and i didnt reconise any of them!!

Actually Dare to Wear is a LeChat brand, a very reputable company. I'd like to hear their response.

one of my favorite quotes to use

I guess it would also depend on what one was doing with the products .....
sniffing the solvents out of an innocent looking a can of whipped cream CAN kill , stupid thing to do though!
i believe not using something properly is known as substance abuse .

Although this was presented more as a consumer protection issue, I think the danger is less to the client and more to the techs, especially those working in less than optimal situations. I think the issue is less about using it properly than it is about using it constantly.

Nubar and Zoya are also 3-free.

Read some of Doug Schoons articles on the irresponsible reporting of things.
Here is a recent one he emailed

Doug Schoon
Misinformation Hurts Us All!

In recent years several different negative reports have surfaced that unfairly attack nail products and services. This misinformation creates unwarranted fear which threatens to unfairly destroy public trust in salon services and worse, puts tremendous economic stress on nail technicians by driving business away from salons. Misinformation about UV nail lamps, products and services are an example.
Two independent scientific studies have verified the safety of UV nail lamps used in nail salons services.*After completing one such study, Dr. Robert Sayre, a world leading researcher on the effects of UV light on the skin concluded that the claims made about UV nail lamps were "grossly exaggerated".* Unfortunately, this isn't reported since most reporters haven't seen these scientific studies and are more likely to propagate misinformation to the detriment of the nail salon industry.* *
Uninformed dermatologists can be the most damaging providers of misinformation since the media
considers them experts, yet many dermatologists have only a very basic understanding of nail salon products or services.* Consumer product research groups have also been negligent by providing erroneous or exaggerated reports based on inadequate research.* Unfortunately when dermatologists or consumer groups don't take time to fully research the facts or discuss the issues with knowledgeable scientific experts in the nail industry they end up propagating misinformation that damages the businesses of working nail technicians and professionals everywhere.

What Can You Do?*

Work together to ensure that the media and the public get the facts AND insist that the media stop propagating unfair misinformation that threatens to destroy your business.* Of course reporters can only report what they hear, so it is in everyone's best interest to ensure they have the correct information and easy access to the scientific experts who understand nail products and services.*You can help by taking ownership of this issue and educating both your clients and the media. Plenty of factual information exists, but it doesn't get proper media coverage. Whenever you see these types news stories, don't just get angry...* *
Take Action! *

TAKE ACTION and get this much needed information to the media so they have all the facts.
Links to the two scientific studies on UV Nail Lamps:
PR-USA.net - Scientists Confirm Safety of CND UV Nail Lamp *(and) http://www.schoonscientific.com/UV-Nail-Lamp-Facts.pdf
You will also find lots of useful information about salon services at the Nail Manufacturers Council Professional Beauty Association - Professional Keratin Hair Smoothing Products - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), as well as, by visiting my own website Technical articles about nail health and the Beauty, Cosmetic and Personal Care industry and product-related topics..
Please contact the news outlets, web blogger or article authors, etc and send them reports or other information found on these two sites, which also contains contact information, as well. Working together we can address misinformation that harms your business.
Thanks for your help,
Doug***
For more information, visit Technical articles about nail health and the Beauty, Cosmetic and Personal Care industry and product-related topics.

Don't forget to share this email with your friends so,
they can be include in future updates.* Simply forward this email and ask them to Join My Mailing List.*
We all win with education!*
Forward email

This email was sent to [email protected] by [email protected] | *
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Schoon Scientific | 33835 Crystal Lantern St. | Dana Point | CA | 92629

Latest posts

Back