TPTW-Care to discuss your business success?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A refreshing thread.

I started out 2 years ago aged 50, I researched, did a business plan, researched, found SG and researched some more. I was in a position of financial security, I'm not now :lol:.

I struggled at school and my teachers said I would come to nothing, bit of a day dreamer. I'm still learning and will never stop but believe I have a lot of common sense coupled with a good managment background. I know not everyone agrees that you can run a business without knowing perhaps the hair and beauty industry but I do have my daughter (hairdresser) who has the passion. I'm enjoying the beauty side of things and I realise that at my time of life I couldn't be bent over a beauty couch doing treatments but that doesn't stop me wanting to learn about it. It's about knowing what you can and cannot achieve.

I have also been naive but I have always listened to advice, taken it on board. Although still in our infancy and about to celebrate 2 years in business on the 12th of this month, I would say we have turned a corner.

I live and breathe my business, sometimes to my own detriment (sp). Two days after surgery I was back at reception. Hubby has actually said that tomorrow and Monday I am forbidden to use the computer, phone for SG and I think I have to listen to his advice on this occasion.

One thing I have learnt is no one will love or appreciate your business as much as you do, not staff or friends.

It's still tough and I will still make mistakes but learn from them.

I personally find it's the pressures of things out of your control that cause the most headaches and personally I couldn't have done this whilst my family where young.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there was a "like" button.

I think in business you have to commit to doing it properly. The amount of stock I hold is terrifying. You gotta buy the tools to do the job properly.

If they don't buy it from you there's every possibility they will get it somewhere else. Opportunity missed.
Surely one of the first things people learn is speculate to accumulate?

I'm getting married in July next year and the only thing panicking me about it is being off work for 3 1/2 weeks! I'm off to Ibiza, Italy and Cuba and I will be researching how they do things there for sure!

This also scares me, my daughter is getting married in June next year in Cyprus. I've not had a holiday in years. I am also worried but have decided that I will have to close, we are very small at the moment but I would not trust my business in the hands of anyone, especially after recent events here and some threads I have read about what staff do when your away.

Our clients are already being informed and are happy to book around the holiday.

Congratulations by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
If they don't buy it from you there's every possibility they will get it somewhere else. Opportunity missed.
Surely one of the first things people learn is speculate to accumulate?

"Speculate to accumulate" Phrases like this do not become famous without being right!!

No client likes to buy (or will even look twice) at a lonely bottle of shampoo or a treatment or a nail polish, sitting on a shelf. Nor will they ask for a product they cant SEE - FEEL - TOUCH! Displays have to have IMPACT and impact means numbers ... as Dawn says, sometimes terrifying amount of numbers.

You won't sell it if you don't USE it and appreciate the worth of it.
You won't sell it if you don't HAVE it there.
You won't sell it if you don't TALK about it and enthuse about it.
You won't sell it if you don't understand everything there is to know about it.

Your success is like a marriage ... you have to WORK at it and remember what you are there to DO. Work (although you may enjoy it) is not a social occasion (maybe for your clients, but not for you). WORK at your work, and remember why you are there and what you are meant to actually be doing there.

Well I started my business with no qualifications and always knew I would succeed. 'Can't' is not in my vocabulary!
Yes it's hard work and yes you have to put the hours in but the rewards are high.
I did courses as I went along and I trained with the best(mostly) and buy the best products.
I didn't take a wage for ages as there was always something new and exciting to invest in. I like to keep up with the latest and newest things and I'd rather go without that pair of shoes/new dress etc... and invest the money in my business.
I did go into business with my eyes wide open and did a lot of research and the journey, on the whole, has been exhilarating, exciting and rewarding.
It's not easy though and you need to be 100% committed.

I'm getting married in July next year and the only thing panicking me about it is being off work for 3 1/2 weeks! I'm off to Ibiza, Italy and Cuba and I will be researching how they do things there for sure!
QUOTE]

This also scares me, my daughter is getting married in June next year in Cyprus. I've not had a holiday in years. I am also worried but have decided that I will have to close, we are very small at the moment but I would not trust my business in the hands of anyone, especially after recent events here and some threads I have read about what staff do when your away.

Our clients are already being informed and are happy to book around the holiday.

Congratulations by the way

Last edited:
:hug: Back on track please!! We were on a roll .. a good roll !! It's been lovely being here and having some intelligent conversation for once instead of,
"what shuld i use, Shellac or Gelous'" ?

Don't want to hear the horror stories and disappointments .. we all have had them.

I want my thread to be about the positive and realisitc side of starting and being successful in business. We'll save the DARK side for another thread please. :hug:

Thats me told off then!

If someone had warned me how hard it would be to run my own salons, I think it would have fallen on deaf ears because until you have actually experienced it, you cannot understand. Like I could never hope to understand the pain of a lost child (am childfree), until you are there, you wont "get it".

Plenty of us got rich with our salons, only those of us that kept a cool head during boom times are still around. It's easy to think the good times will never end.

I have spent two christmas days up a ladder redecorating in the last 12 years. It's the only time we are shut for long enough to do it. Ask yourself if you would be prepared to do that.

It depends as well what your ambition is, some people would be happy with 3 full days of clients a week doing mobile. That would mean success to them.

A lot of people would view my job with horror. I look after a lot of staff, big properties, myriad other business interests, my writing and then try and fit in a home, hubs and friends/family. I forget birthdays, am a rubbish friend at times, and my poor persians think their names are "not now", "in a minute" and "gerrof my laptop"!

It really aint for everyone. Be careful what you wish for.

You see, I just don't get that .. I NEVER once thought that what I was doing was a gamble ... it never once (and I mean this) occured to me that I would fail at what I was doing ... and don't forget, I was one of the very first people in the country to be doing nails in a way that got them ON THE MAP .. now look !!! That is pretty awesome to look back and see how far as a profession it has come.

IF you Do the things that Linda points out in the quote above ... How in hell can you FAIL? Why would anyone think they would?
BELIEVE in yourself and your ability
COMMIT your energy to succeeding
WORK at it with dogged DETERMINATION and
Put your earnings back IN until you can start to take OUT

Those who can't do those things are not going to earn a living from nails or any other business. Pin money .. topping up the housekeeping .. that is not making a living but there is a living to be made and it is there for those that go for it.

The gamble for me was not that i would not be able to make a success of my business but that i would lose the comfort of what i had with my family i was not willing for MY work to change what i had with my family.I love my work but its always been a good second in my life and i wouldnt want it any other way.Never in a million years would i have my own salon.

I would also say dont ever dismiss me as a fly by night or a hobbyist i dont spend huge amounts in my business but in thirty years ive spent enough and im very serious about what i do and i keep my finger on the pulse and before i was a mother i worked 10 years out in the very world as an employee.

Last edited:
"If you believe in what you are doing I think the sky is the limit! I would highly recommend starting a business to anyone who understands the commitment, who is ready to get their hands dirty and do what it takes to make it work! You have to have pure determination! The other thing is to make sure you have adequate capital…you can be on the right path and run out of money before you obtain breakeven."

When starting a business ...

"understanding the commitment" needed to make it work.

Working like hell to make it work, whatever it takes ...

Understanding the financial commitments of starting a successful business and having enough behind you to do it before you run out ...

Did YOU?

Did I understand what I was getting myself in for? NO, not by a long shot!
BUT I'm a stubborn sort, and don't care to be told that I can't do something. When I set my mind to it, I get it done. Whatever it takes.

‎'Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do...'
Steve Jobs RIP

Love this quote!!

I was in no way prepared to start my business, not by a long shot.
While I did have previous salon experience as a hairdresser, it wasn't the most help to me.
Actually, my experience in Office Administration and management prepared me far more due to the following responsibilities: accounting, stock inventory & office supplies orders, time management, marketing, assisting in software development, customer service, etc... In a small business, you end up being Jack of all trades.. and I certainly was.

I started up without a clue.
I had become a stay-at-home mother, and couldn't stand A)not having my OWN money and lacking my independance B) not being mentally stimulated and challenged on a daily basis.
It was a friend of mine that slapped me up the back of the head and said "Vic!! Just do nails from home you dummy! You already do!".

Sooo I took more courses and dived in full of ideas, and no plan. OMG Looking back, I was completely nuts.
What saved me is this: determination, a creative mind, can-do attitude, refusal to give up, a hunger to learn more and SalonGeek.

In the beginning, all I did was work nights (while raising kids during the day) and offered tip-n-dip (very popular in Quebec).
From there learned UV Gel, and moved forward. I googled like mad, learning and learning. Reading everything I could get my hands on, watching every video that existed. Using my bday money from my mom, and my occasional hairdressing money that I earned on the side, and my line of credit to invest into the business.
While my husband supported my choice, he did NOT support the business in any fashion. He had enough with supporting all of us and paying the bills.
He thought that at best.. I'd have pin-money to go for a coffee on occasion. MANY TIMES he encouraged me to give up. He hated watching me struggle against the NSS.

Then I found SalonGeek. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE THAT MADE!
I learned that the education here is CRAP and that I had soooo much more to learn. I WANTED to learn. I WANTED to be better. I bought the books Geeks told me to buy: Doug's, Marian's & Gigi's. Read them back to front and then again... and again (hmm need to do so again LOL). I read every thread and post like it was gospel. I took a few verbal smacks from Gigi hehehehe (they were given with love hahaha)

EVERY SINGLE PENNY earned went right back into the business. I never used it for anything else.
My social life is limited to my children, my pets, my hubby and FAcebook.
Very little of my time is out of the house pursuing other interests.
My free time... much is spent on the business itself.

As the children grew older and started preschool then elementary school, I added day hours and removed evening hours. I designed my own logo, business cards, am building my 2nd website (yes, learning to do html and flash LOL). I set myself apart from local NSS. I'm STILL learning.
Just over 2yrs ago, I took my L&P course.
OMG wish I had done that to start!!

This past summer... wow, blew me away. From June through to the end of August, I was booked solid every single week. FIRST TIME EVER.
Mind blowing.
My hubby... whilst humouring me in the beginning is now 500% behind me. He offered to help pay for any advertising if needed.
he was VERY surpised and impressed at how my newly designed business cards brought in a lot of business. They were entirely my idea.:green:
He didn't even flinch when I said I was going to VIVCAT this month, despite the expense of it. He now understands it's an investment and supports. He is so very very proud of me and has said so.

Finally, I am able to make a difference in our finances with my own contributions. I have my own car now.

I wouldn't suggest flying by the seat of your pants to everyone. OMG it's the hardest way to do things.
If you can, PLEASE plan and inform yourself before you dive in. LOL:lol:
But I will tell you this: if you're as stubborn as I am, give it a shot.

I love what I do, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Next on the agenda: A) creating a course and offering above quality education in a Province/Country where there are no standards.
B) Opening a salon and having some juniors and an esthetician on staff.

I'll get there.
I'm too damned stubborn not to.
:green:

Thank you vhunter, your post was brilliant to read xx

Being someone who hasn't even yet started out (& won't start properly til mid next year), I am very interested in this thread to learn from the mistakes and successes of others who have gone before me ..

So thank you all who contribute to this. Your stories and tips are very much appreciated.

Thanks Gigi for starting it xx

Some truly inspiring words in this thread and very empowering.

My business hasn't officially started yet, I'm due to open next month. I am ever so excited but terrified at the same time. I love the fear element as much as the excitement, it means, to me, that I will give my all in making it succeed, if I didn't feel scared about it, I wouldn't care.

I have done lots of research into it all, I am ensuring I go through all the correct channels, planning, building regs etc. I want my business to be successful and legitimate, I am not pouring my life and soul into this for someone to come along at some point and say, well, you actually can't do this, you need to take it down, so doing everything above board is so important to me.

I then joined this wonderful forum. It has helped me immensely. I am gaining so much knowledge from each and every thread, things I thought I knew but now know more and things I had no idea about that I needed such as the safety data sheets.

My husband is just simply amazing. We regularly discuss everything about my new business. He is totally aware (more aware than me at first!) that he'll barely see me from now on. Has told me that he will be taking on the responsibility of the housework and caring for our son whilst I work, despite the fact he works himself back in London and on top of an already long and busy day has a 2 hour commute every day. His support and understanding is overwhelming and makes me even more determined to succeed.

I am fully aware of the long slog ahead but doing something I love will make it so worthwhile. It's a very exciting prospect, I can't wait to see my determination pay off and have a very successful business in the not too distant future.

Thank you to all who contribute to this site, your questions and answers provide so much more than I could ever learn form anywhere else :hug:

May all your businesses continue to thrive xx

Oh yes, now did you really want to get me started on this?!

If I hear one more time about how people (and I'm afraid it's always women, because they're the caregivers, mostly) can't understand why they're not making any money, and then I discover that they do it around school hours and of course, they don't work in the holidays, I swear I will blow a gasket.

You simply cannot, cannot, cannot make a profitable business if your business is not your primary priority. Yes, you can have a hobby business. Yes, you can build up a holiday/conservatory/shoe/bag fund very nicely from a hobby business, but if you want a proper income from it you have to work like stink.
Don't get me wrong, there's room for all sorts of businesses, but people want more and more from their service provider and will simply churn onto another one if their existing one doesn't cut it.
So, if you cancel clients because your child is sick, because you can't get child care, etc, etc, don't be surprised if they find someone else.
I had to cancel a client because I had proper, full on, in bed for a week over Christmas flu. She never came back.
I hardly see long distance friends anymore. I have to book out a half hour to call friends. I never turn down work, even at night (but I do draw the line on Sundays now simply because I can't work 7 days a week and give of my best.)
It's the hardest job I ever had, including operating theatre nursing which was pretty full on.
I have lived a life of penury for the last 4 years so that I can be properly equipped, properly trained and properly marketed, and only now is it really starting to fly. My local hair salon opens its beauty salon a week on Monday and it could all go to rat sh!t in a heartbeat, so I'm going to have to work even harder still to keep my clients.

I agree 100% with this. It's not a 9-5 job. I work 7 days at week from 9 in the morning til 9/10 at night. I have a 10 week old baby as well and at the moment (touch wood) everything is going ok. I've been working from home for 2 years, and invest my money on more treatments and training. Just done an eyelash extension course last week and I'm practising like mad, even in my sleep.

A lot of people ask what I have done to make it a success, I did have a few client's from a previous salon, but I have worked my socks off getting client's in, leaflet drop's, pamper evening at school's, new treatment's. Having your own business is hard work, I don't pick and chose my hours, I do what client's want. My work is my baby.

This is just the sort of thread I need to be reading right now. Thank you to every one of you, your experiences and wisdom is very much appreciated. :hug:

What about Linda's last but not least important point? Having the money to start up and maintain your business until you get going and start to make something out of it?

So many posts here from those who want ...
The cheapest products
The cheapest training
Go to ridiculous lengths and risks to buy from illegal suppliers thinking they are saving a penny or two
Ebay mentality

I can only assume it is because they do not have the funds to start a business and yet without quality training and products, they never will have a business at all. Do you think they can succeed?

What is your feeling on this aspect of capital to start as you mean to go on?

What about Linda's last but not least important point? Having the money to start up and maintain your business until you get going and start to make something out of it?

So many posts here from those who want ...
The cheapest products
The cheapest training
Go to ridiculous lengths and risks to buy from illegal suppliers thinking they are saving a penny or two
Ebay mentality

I can only assume it is because they do not have the funds to start a business and yet without quality training and products, they never will have a business at all. Do you think they can succeed?

What is your feeling on this aspect of capital to start as you mean to go on?

Any Business needs money to get itself off the ground and compared to most Businesses, Nails is classed by some as being "cheap", which of course it could be if you wanted it to be.

You could do everything on the cheap... buy a cheap desk for 10 pounds, don't bother with Education and buy all your stuff from the cheapest source possible.

The Nail Business is no different to any other, but some think they can just jump straight into it and be successful, because us Pros make it look so easy... well it isn't!

With this mentality, a Business has no chance of survival in my opinion.

You get back what you put in to your Business, so if you start out cheap...

well you get the idea :)

I wish I'd had the guts to borrow some money when I started, but I had no idea whether I could make a success of it!
As it was I used my savings (which I'm paying myself back for now), and I relied on my humsbums to keep us, and we lived very frugal lives.
Never, not once, did I ever consider using cheap crap. I chose CND having read about them on here, got trained one to one with the awesome Amanda Fontanarrosa (I still can't quite believe that!), and did my research.
The only unbranded products I will ever allow in my little salon are spatulas, cotton wool pads, acetone and couch roll.
Everything else is top notch, high end products, and I do not stint.
End consumers may not know some of the names (but aren't all "gels" the same?!), but what they do know is quality.
There will always be a market for the lower end products, but they're not the clients I want to attract.
Should you start out cheap and upgrade? In my opinion I think it can be tempting but you need to look at where you want to place yourself in the market in the long run as it's difficult to change the public's perception.

How long would it take, do you think, for Lidl to turn itself into Waitrose? (whether they should is a moot point). They have a reputation for very cheap goods, attracting, on the whole, those who have pockets to match. People who have always shopped in Waitrose would be very suspicious about Lidl, and they would take some convincing that they had indeed changed their spots.

If you start out with own brand skincare/nail/tanning products you will find it hard to introduce higher end ones later on.
Your clients who might well be happy with what you offer currently won't want to pay more - and if you explain that you've been using cheap stuff on them up till now they might well be a tad miffed.

In today's climate banks are less likely to lend money so people try to start without enough capital.
I'm just like everyone else: impatient!

I also wonder whether people are scared of approaching the banks for fear of them saying no. We don't all have the chutzpah to tough out a bank manager poring over our business plan.

This is the main reason that 1 in 3 beauty salons go bust in their first year! Cash flow!
You need enough money, not only to set up, but to see you through the first 12-18 months.
It takes months to build up a client base and you won't survive unless you have some money behind you.
I remember when I was 6 months into my business and my husband turned round to me and said 'How much longer can you go on like this? You've got to think about if this is going to work and how long you can keep going'.
He got short sharp thrift from me! Yes I spent money on good products and training even though he thought I was mad, but I knew what I was doing and I knew that it would work, but I also knew that I had to do everything properly and start how I meant to go on.
He is very proud of me now and I always tell him that it's a good job I am running the business and not him!

Latest posts

Back