TPTW ... Do people actually know what a good set set of salon nails should look like?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask them if they want fake nails that everyone can tell that they are fake.

I never sell the French Look

Even though French is classic, it's a dead give away for fake.

If you had anything fake, you really don't want it to look fake or obvious.

Fake nails are becoming like plastic flowers ..... very obvious.

Then I show them the alternative, and 9 out of 10 go for the Natural Look...... which sadly many of them never knew existed.

cover.jpg

Carl... I NEED that shade of white L&P lol
I've tried creating it myself... but to no avail.... can't get it right.:cry:

THAT shade of white, I LIKE... But I can't stomach the liquid paper white. It's HORRID!!

The CND Soft White powder is the same as the lovely white powder shown in Carls photo and the nails look very lovely Carl :hug:

it is lovely indeed!!
woah!

but I couldn't wear that myself. I would feel like I have to paint them at last other wise I'd look just as naked as my nails!

That picture is just tips (it was taken after one infill), I do have the powder to match, but ..... 3 fills and they will (and are now) her own nails with an overlay, 95% of my clients all graduate to NNO within 4 fills.

Just a thought for those busting a gut.....

Nearly every acrylic glitter free-edge can be done with the right colour glitter polish in about 5 mins and can be removed and changed in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
That picture is just tips (it was taken after one infill), I do have the powder to match, but ..... 3 fills and they will (and are now) her own nails with an overlay, 95% of my clients all graduate to NNO within 4 fills.

Just a thought for those busting a gut.....

Nearly every acrylic glitter free-edge can be done with the right colour glitter polish in about 5 mins and can be removed and changed in the same amount of time.

My clients are 99.9% NNO's (with a sculpted break here and there).
But they don't like the colour of their 'natural' free edge because it's inconsistent. A white like that would be a sure win, though.

and DITTO re: glitter polish if you have the right one.
Hence why my clients LOVE funky french's done with polish. Cost's less than glitter-french's done with gel or L&P, and takes less time.

It is true people really don't know what a good set of nails look like!

I though it was acceptable to do certain things in the nail industry (from things I had seen in salons) until i had read through this thread.

As I am just starting as a nail tech the amount of things I am learning from the Salon Geek is unreal.

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who leading me in the right direction of becoming a great nail tech instead of a good one.

Thanks
Rebecca

:D

My answer would be no. I don't want to repeat previous posts, just want to say that it seems that the majoritys think that all nails are the same, spaddle is the only possible shape, gel is healthier and as natural nail will be damaged anyway it is wise to stick to cheapest possible.
From my experience there are two hardest things: 1) to get them to try something a little different from what they know - like white gel/powder instead of white tip hafway down; 2) to get them listen to what I am saying (hygiene, preparation, importance of aftercare, difference between acrylic and gels).
However, there are a few clients who know what is a good set of nails. You might be surprised but these people mainly come from poor Eastern European countries such as Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia etc. There is no such problem as NSS and despite lack of state standrs for the industry, trainings are at very high standards. Thus, clients would request all kind of shapes, nail bed extension and complicates designs.

I also think most clients do not have a clue of what good salon nails should look/feel like.
I'm not proud of it but there have been inoumerous times that i sat quiently in my chair while an hairdresser completely disregarded my directions and gave me bad haircuts. I used to think "She is the professional, she should know what she is doing, i'm not going to meddle" Only by experiencing good quality professional have i learned the diference, and learned to speak out. Nowdays i'm a very demanding customer, i want what i'm paying for, or i'll give you hell.
Usually clients can only tell quality work, either if they started with a bad job and went to a good professional or the other way round. Only by knowing the 2 sides you can give true value to a good professionals work.

I WISH salons near me could offer nails like that Carl :( I am still to begin training after a horrific end to 2009 with family deaths and such but I can't wait to be able to produce natural looking nails. I have ( yes very naughty I know and please, please don't shout at me ) done a few sets for family and friends and am lucky that they understand that I don't want to produce "fake" looking nails and refuse point blank to do door stops and such! I am pretty confident already with my ability to produce a good set of nails that look and feel great and last well but to be able to produce nails like Carl's pic is something I could only ever dream of :)

The third set of Geegs' are beautiful - imo exactly what nails SHOULD look like.

Latest posts

Back