TPTW? I'm a therapist and I'm thick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get it all the time... But im proud of my achievements, sometimes i do feel that i have to justify why im in this trade but im a happy bunny.

Outside my salon life, im quite fun to be around and well i get the eyebrow reactions of wow you've all done that! Yes i have and im extremely happy that im my own boss. I will admit i am a super nerd, teaching physics is hard, if someone calls you thick, which i had once from a ignorant client. i simply retorted back with my list of achievements...the dumb biiiaaatch was uneducated and simply a dumbass if she didnt want to further herself than why insinuate that she was far better that anyone can do it.

Some people cannot change the perception of our industry because they have been exposed by people that is majorly contributed by the american film industry of what hairdressers are like. The only british sitcom i can think of was cutting it, with amanda holden, and even that protrayed a bitchy backstabbing competive collective of people. Plus they had a sterotypical "types"...sorry gone of topic, but media does influence perception. xoxo

Very interesting thread :)

I do feel thick sometimes. I think it all stems back to when I finished my GCSE's in 2008 (with the highest grades in my entire school, may I add :wink2:), I told my mum I wanted to "do nails".

She told me I was ridiculous and "too smart to be a salon bimbo".

Luckily (or not, as the case may be) I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for the worst part of 4 years and it mattered more that I was happy... so she let me do the course and get on with it. I had encouragement from other family members, and my friends.

Only now does my mum realise just how much time, effort and skill you have to put in to be GOOD at this. She's proud of me, and when my clients ask me those questions, that is the story I tell them. Guess what? THEY are proud of me too.

xx

Latest posts

Back