TPTW? I'm a therapist and I'm thick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
During the 2/3 tears I've been a member there has been a recurring theme, often secondary to the thread itself, but ever present.

There are many beauty industry professionals who feel that they are looked down on, by the general public, because of their career choice.

Let me start a debate by asking:

Do we perpetuate this through our own lack of self-confidence?
Do we seek to convince people that we are intelligent by referring to our achievements outside of beauty?
Do we challenge this perception when it is openly said to us?
Do we, in fact, half-believe it ourselves?

What are your thoughts?

I don't have to relay off my gcses, a levels and degree but that's exactly how I used to feel. But now...

I just don't care. My clients know I'm not thick. And anyone that thinks I'm thick is not really my concern anymore. They are not worth my time or energy. Worrying if someone thinks Im thick, fat, gobby... I just don't care. I'm clever, curvy and outspoken! :)

My nan used to say she chose hairdressing because she was thick but realised she wasn't that thick because colouring is not easy!

Sometimes it is hard for people to understand that it's possible to be blonde, tanned and sticking on eyelashes on people but still be of high intelligence.

I am dizzy but I'm not dumb... There's a huge difference.

I don't think it's just this industry.

All accountants are boring?? Probably not.

Are all strippers tarts? Not likely

If your my friend, family or client you know I'm not thick. If your none of them... I don't actually care what you think. I work when I want, how I want, with who I want doing what I love.. That's pretty damn clever. Xxx

i agree with properprincess, i don't care, they can think that if they want , in the meantime i'm busy doing what i love, i'm my own boss so i get to call the shots and financially...well i won't go there but :wink2:

I'm doing something that I love as my career choice. Life is too short for me to be working to the grindstone day in day out in a "job" I hate and dread going to every day because it's socially more acceptable and shows how intelligent I am and pays me mega bucks.

If that makes me thick and people want to believe that, then that's up to them, I KNOW I'm not, I may have the nickname Planky but I am far from stupid :wink2:

I'm proud of what I do, couldn't care less what others think about it!

I don't have to relay off my gcses, a levels and degree but that's exactly how I used to feel. But now...

I just don't care. My clients know I'm not thick. And anyone that thinks I'm thick is not really my concern anymore. They are not worth my time or energy. Worrying if someone thinks Im thick, fat, gobby... I just don't care. I'm clever, curvy and outspoken! :)

My nan used to say she chose hairdressing because she was thick but realised she wasn't that thick because colouring is not easy!

Sometimes it is hard for people to understand that it's possible to be blonde, tanned and sticking on eyelashes on people but still be of high intelligence.

I am dizzy but I'm not dumb... There's a huge difference.

I don't think it's just this industry.

All accountants are boring?? Probably not.

Are all strippers tarts? Not likely

If your my friend, family or client you know I'm not thick. If your none of them... I don't actually care what you think. I work when I want, how I want, with who I want doing what I love.. That's pretty damn clever. Xxx

I agree 100% with this, imay be a little dizzy at times but im not thick, i have lived a very Adventurous life and seen alot, i may not be as clever as a brain surgeon but that dose not make me thick, mind i dont really feel like people would look at me like that because of what i do, i have friends from all walks of life who do different jobs to me we are all equal:Love:xx

At the risk of sounding thick but what does tptw mean? :p

A lot of people are in the wrong job. There's that advert about loving Monday's and do I just! I make people feel beautiful inside and out, I have the knowledge of pretty much every system in the human body. I have great social skills. I am polite and can use long words. Does that make me thick?

I think if I was thick I'd be stuck in a dead end job I hated and be paying all the money I earned to someone else. Instead I'm making a living for myself, standing on my own two feet and making everyone proud.

-blows raspberry-

Just because I'm act stupid to get people to give me what I want doesn't mean in the slightest that I am ;) x

I agree ProperPrincess. As long as you have your certificates on show for the treatments on offer then nobody should have any reason to question your knowledge and ability.
Is your degree related to the beauty industry? If not then it shouldn't be of anyone else's concern.
If I wanted a Swedish Massage I wouldn't care if, for example the therapist had a first in Russian literature as long as he/she was qualified and competent in Swedish massage!
I have my qualifications and my level of training and a massive thirst for knowledge within the nail industry which is why, and I'm sure I speak for many, I'm on SG, know Gigi's book inside out and am always interested in other peoples experiences etc.
As long as I am confident that the advice I give to my clients is correct and the service that I offer is thorough, professional and follows the complete system that it should then I don't care if someone thinks I'm under/over qualified.
People who judge have too much time on their hands, I hope that my work speaks for itself as I'm sure yours does xx

I agree ProperPrincess. As long as you have your certificates on show for the treatments on offer then nobody should have any reason to question your knowledge and ability.
Is your degree related to the beauty industry? If not then it shouldn't be of anyone else's concern.
If I wanted a Swedish Massage I wouldn't care if, for example the therapist had a first in Russian literature as long as he/she was qualified and competent in Swedish massage!
I have my qualifications and my level of training and a massive thirst for knowledge within the nail industry which is why, and I'm sure I speak for many, I'm on SG, know Gigi's book inside out and am always interested in other peoples experiences etc.
As long as I am confident that the advice I give to my clients is correct and the service that I offer is thorough, professional and follows the complete system that it should then I don't care if someone thinks I'm under/over qualified.
People who judge have too much time on their hands, I hope that my work speaks for itself as I'm sure yours does xx

No it's not industry related. Far from it x I have all my certificates in an album as I haven't the wall space but they are in salon for all to see x

If it wasn't for people for like us , the people that judge us wouldn't be using half the stuff they use everyday to make them smell nice, look good!!! That's what i say to ppl that judge me,

I too dont care. alot of people are envious of me because
1) I dont HAVE to work, DH easily supports us both as he has done the past 9 years,
2) I get to choose what hours I work, take holidays when I want to,
3) Starting up on your own in a business is not cheap or easy!

Anyone that matters to me knows I've been school, College and University and I gave it all up to raise my 3 children myself.
I feel proud that I've found something I enjoy doing and works around my life.
x

I DO care though. Sorry but I do. I'm not an idiot and I'd hate for someone to think I was. Some people just need to get off their high horses to be quite honest with you. x

I am a degreed professional holding a master's degree and working full time as a collegiate librarian. Clients who know this consider the library gig my "real" job and qualify me intelligent because of it. It's a load of crap!

Some of the biggest dumba**es I've met are here in academia. They couldn't tie their shoe laces without a freakin' diagram. And phony and pretentious? Don't even get me started.

However, some of the most intelligent and wise people I've met have been my colleagues in the beauty industry. They're also some of the most REAL people I've ever met, as well.

I'd like to put a "like" on all of these contributions.
There is such passion and enthusiasm in our industry.

So, taking it a step further if you are actually confronted with "Oh, couldn't you pass your exams at school then?" - I'm quoting what some geeks have actually had said to them- do you ignore it, or have a polite but pointed reply?

I'd like to put a "like" on all of these contributions.
There is such passion and enthusiasm in our industry.

So, taking it a step further if you are actually confronted with "Oh, couldn't you pass your exams at school then?" - I'm quoting what some geeks have actually had said to them- do you ignore it, or have a polite but pointed reply?

I'd say "yes I did but I chose to do this as there's nothing worse than doing something you dont like, wouldn't you say?, plus I'm making a fortune"!

well you could reply 2 different ways.
1. ask them what do they do and answer then ..so you didn't pass either.
or
2. say ah well to late to worry about that now... that'll be €xx. thanks . will i book you in now for your next appt and smile.

either way it's your till that's ringing.

This is sooooooo true.

I'm blonde and can be dizzy and I definitely do not think before I speak....
I achieved 2 B's in English at GCSE.. Studied long and hard for my hairdressing career.
People assume hairdressing is just 'snip snip' that really grinds my gears!!
I'm confident and speak my mind, ask too many questions which people then assume I know nothing, well I'm not going to pretend I know if I don't!

People who think this are just small minded, it's them who really know nothing!
xxx

Again, since I've got my master's that's not really an issue; however, my 3 fellow nail professionals get questioned all the time.

Here are just some of the insensitive questions I've heard asked of them:
  1. Did you flunk out of high school?
  2. Do you ever think of going to college?
  3. Don't you want "an education?"
  4. Don't you want to ever get a "real" job?
  5. Wouldn't you want to do something better with your life?
  6. Don't you want to be a better role model for your children?
Burns my biscuits....

Oooh me likey this thread!

When I was at school leaving age I went to several local colleges and I picked up info on a beauty course only to be told by my parents that I needed to do something more academic. Well I went to 'proper' college and I absolutely hated it and ended up leaving with only an as level in sociology and an a level in law.

A few years later I started on my path to be a beauty therapist and I have never been more happy than in the work I now do, that's pretty clever isn't it?!

It does annoy me that people see the hair and beauty industry this way so whenever I have a client who says anything I tend to wow them with my knowledge of the human body and the chemical reactions we use on a day to day basis. It usually shuts them up when they realise how much science is involved in our work.

Blowing a big raspberry in my head right now :p

Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back