TPTW Permanent or Semi-permanent services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Following on from my TPTW last week about working more & more for Less & less or harder& harder for less & less .... I would like to ask a question Of all who are offering permanent services to those who only really want something that is semi permanent.

Example.

When one can make beautiful glitter tips or coloured French Manicures using polish ... why do so many use L&P or Glitter gels etc? The clients I have want to change their coloured tips or glitter tips on a regular basis which is so EASY to do when you have done them using polish.

The whole idea of using white powder in the first place was to offer a permanent French manicure ... Forever French. So why make coloured tips in a permanent way when clients want to ring the changes?? It takes more time .. extra work to rebalance AND I wonder if you get paid what you should be for doing moneywise all that extra work?

I'm not suggesting you never offer the permanent solution .. but are you offering it when you shouldn't be?

Last edited:
I think clients have a misconception that polish is something that they can do themselves. Of course it isn't really that simple to do an amazing paint job, but clients seem to think otherwise.

So I think that's where the glitter tips and permanent services come in. Clients automatically think that they are paying for something that they can't do themselves, therefore those nails seem to go down well.

Many clients do not look after their nails, so offering something more permanent maybe of an advantage to the heavy handed people.

But then that brings us to your next question, do we automatically offer permanent nails instead of considering what the individual client needs..? Well, yes, I think a lot us do because offering something permanent seems to relate to 'how good a tech we are'. I think clients seem to judge us alot on how well our nails stay as suppose to anything else.

In the ideal world, it shouldn't be like that, but unfortunely in the nail industry where there are still so many ignorant understandings, it seems to be the case, especially for many newish techs who hasn't has a chance to prove themselves or hasn't gain the trust of their clients yet.

By the way, I say all this as an opinion. I myself, don't offer glitter tips because my clients do not care for them and I always tailor my services to my clients needs, whether it is using gel, polish or whatever.

Last edited:
I tend to have clients who will always have a Forever French... classic and nice.
for the others, I tend to "sculpt" a "canvas" with translucent pink and then do the nail art they want above, that I can easily remove.

so it doesn't take me more time, and nail art is charged...

I tend to have clients who will always have a Forever French... classic and nice.
for the others, I tend to "sculpt" a "canvas" with translucent pink and then do the nail art they want above, that I can easily remove.

so it doesn't take me more time, and nail art is charged...

I think we all do this don't we, when doing coloured powders or gels? It certainly takes me more time to buff off the coloured powders or glitter gels than just changing polish colour, plus the mess :lol:.

When I had a phase of wearing glitter tips, clients wanted them too.

The trouble was a fortnight later they wanted a change and didn't want to pay for the extra work.

I rarely do them now. Clients only have them for special occasions (like Christmas) but at least it saves all the messy glittery filing:)

I think we all do this don't we, when doing coloured powders or gels? It certainly takes me more time to buff off the coloured powders or glitter gels than just changing polish colour, plus the mess :lol:.
I have seen MANY who would still do a French under a whole nail art'ed set... waste of time!

and if the chosen nail art can be done with polish then I just do my canvas a bit thicker and there you go, saves a lot of time and less dust, i can only agree!

I have to agree with Geeg. I did 3 sets of gorgeous glitter nails last weekend just using polish and glitter and they have worn so well and will last over Christmas and remove easily for the undoubted change that will be required soon :)

My clients seem happy to pay the extra for the effort that goes into glitter tips, I charge the same for glitter tips as I do for sculpted french as its quicker to do glitter tips, so I dont mind at all.

Its very very popular as its something the client can achieve with polish but its not going to last them 3 weeks and look amazing :green:

I will always ask the client and advise them accordingly with regard to how long they want their enhancements on, or if its just a one off, so can use soak off/buff off and adjust designs from subtle to something more adventurous for my regulars....who usually come armed with a photo of something they have seen!

xx

Very good question, geeg, and I seem to recall nailzoo saying something similar a while back. Some people do get bored with either having to have the same colours every time or sitting through a soak off at worst to get rid of a design they've tired of. I know that I want to ring the changes and I hate the process of filing down and sitting there with my acetone in order to effect change. :irked:

To be honest, it's pretty much all I ever do and a friend has just presented me with a personal challenge. This may sound rather silly, but she's getting married, has never had enhancements before, has rather fan shaped natural nails and just wants a little bit of length and a nail polish that will complement her wedding outfit. She is going to choose her own polish and I'm now wondering which choice of powder to extend with, please? Should it be natural, pink or clear? Sounds ever so basic, but I'm really not sure what's best? :o

I think I agree if all you are doing is all over glitter or glitter tips but anything more complicated is almost impossible with nail varnish. My clients pay extra and are happy to, but I must admit I have been surprised at them wanting to do this. They prefer the convenience of being ready to go and not having to be careful while waiting for the varnish to dry hard.

There are some beautiful glitter nail varnishes out there and last Christmas lots of my clients had them but I didn't have one this year that didn't want the glitter powders. I don't mind as long as they pay the extra, I certainly wouldn't do it for the same price. I do the clear base and glitter on top and I use an electric file to remove the glitter so it doesn't take too much longer than before. :)

This is a major reason why I have never offered too much in permanent things like all the inbedded nail art, traditional p/w, etc. is because it takes more time and clients don't want to pay extra for that time. In the time it would take me to do the permanent things I might get $10 more, big maybe there, but I could have done another client in that time and made double the amount. So is it really worth it?

As far as french, I just don't get the need to do rebalance. Seems like a lot of work to me. But since I don't use l/p acrylic that technique wouldn't work for me anyway. I thin down the product and use a paint on white and put product over that and get the same result and can still stay within an hour for the service.

I feel that if I can do just as good a job using polish and decals (which have come a long ways and are very pretty with lots of detail), paint on white and get the same results, get paid a little more for very little extra work, why not?? Of course a lot of my clients are very conservative so they wouldn't go for all the bling anyway. But a few who venture out and I get to play a little with, I usually use polish with glitter, or resin with glitter and the paint on white and they are happy and I'm making money. Which IMO is a win/win! As always this is just my opinion!~! :)

Latest posts

Back