TPTW: spray tans for children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey Roberts

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I did my spray tanning training on monday,anyway whilst on training, the discussion about spray tanning children came up.
I can understand kids around the age of 14-16 wanting it done,and can cope with the idea of it.
But what about the parents who wish for their 4/5 yr olds to be sprayed? just to look good at a wedding or party !!
IMO I think its awful,has any of you come across this? wether you spray or not?
The only reason I bought up this topic was because a lady who does tanning was asked to do this on a 4 n half yr old:|

I think some people need their heads testing! Why cant responsible parents just let their children be exactly what they are, kids!! I hate to see young girls dressed up like "women", no wonder there are sado's, (peodophiles), out there that prey on them. I would say no. I wouldn't colour a teenagers hair, under 16 without their mothers consent, even then I have still refused. Call me old fashioned but they are my personal views.

I think some people need their heads testing! Why cant responsible parents just let their children be exactly what they are, kids!! I hate to see young girls dressed up like "women", no wonder there are sado's, (peodophiles), out there that prey on them. I would say no. I wouldn't colour a teenagers hair, under 16 without their mothers consent, even then I have still refused. Call me old fashioned but they are my personal views.

yes your totally right,although some !! teenage girls are more mature for their age,i was, and my mom didnt let me wear make up etc,not that i wanted to anyway

I think thats really awful! Let kids be Kids!

I totally agree with you in that kids ought to be kids, wholeheartedly however this week has presented me with dilemma!! My daughter (9) has been in big ballet and tap production all week, this is the biggest thing she has ever been in , and for some annoying reason they always have to wear foundtion, red lipstick and blue eyeshadow, for the love of god someone plese tell me who thought of these colours !!
She wanted a spray tan so she didnt look so "pasty and stupid" I have of course told her she doesnt look stupid, but I have to agree with her, the make up she has to wear make her look washed out, not to mention the fact she is knackered from doing the show!! SO I have agreed to spray tan her!

I totally agree with you in that kids ought to be kids, wholeheartedly however this week has presented me with dilemma!! My daughter (9) has been in big ballet and tap production all week, this is the biggest thing she has ever been in , and for some annoying reason they always have to wear foundtion, red lipstick and blue eyeshadow, for the love of god someone plese tell me who thought of these colours !!
She wanted a spray tan so she didnt look so "pasty and stupid" I have of course told her she doesnt look stupid, but I have to agree with her, the make up she has to wear make her look washed out, not to mention the fact she is knackered from doing the show!! SO I have agreed to spray tan her!

shame she has to wear that colour makeup, but I understand for shows that tans can improve appearance,because of lights and things,I hope she does really well, but as for 4/5 year olds, I think parent need to get a grip

Hi geeks, I did my spray tanning training on monday,anyway whilst on training, the discussion about spray tanning children came up.
I can understand kids around the age of 14-16 wanting it done,and can cope with the idea of it.
But what about the parents who wish for their 4/5 yr olds to be sprayed? just to look good at a wedding or party !!
IMO I think its awful,has any of you come across this? wether you spray or not?
The only reason I bought up this topic was because a lady who does tanning was asked to do this on a 4 n half yr old:|

To spraytan a kid at 4 1/2 is madness...poor little blighter must have been petrified .

Ok no reason why little girlies shouldnt get one for a school dance or whatever but 4 1/2...come on its not for the kids vanity at that age its the parents...thats what makes it wrong...

OMG will be endorsing false nails for babies at this rate.:eek:

I have sprayed kids around 5 years upwards on many occasions for our local dance studio. When they are competing in competitions they have to have a tan if they want placing.

At least with Tantrick there is no alcohols to dry the skin out and their parents have never come back to me to say that their child had any ill effect from having a tan. They tend to have them 3 times each year.

Yeah I say let kids be kids... and let kids have hobbies and activities that develop their potential... some times to be at the top of your game you have to make the odd sacrifice.. I don't see having a tan is going to make these children into anything but confident when they out their on the dance floor.

JMO!

I have sprayed kids around 5 years upwards on many occasions for our local dance studio. When they are competing in competitions they have to have a tan if they want placing.

At least with Tantrick there is no alcohols to dry the skin out and their parents have never come back to me to say that their child had any ill effect from having a tan. They tend to have them 3 times each year.

Yeah I say let kids be kids... and let kids have hobbies and activities that develop their potential... some times to be at the top of your game you have to make the odd sacrifice.. I don't see having a tan is going to make these children into anything but confident when they out their on the dance floor.

JMO!

Phewwwww thank goodness I am not the only mum who does this Jen!!!!

Phewwwww thank goodness I am not the only mum who does this Jen!!!!

No your not Toni Lee

Im speaking as a mum of a 7 & 8 year old and as a tanner.

My kids compete around the country in freestyle, street and rock n roll. They love it and they love competeing. Hannah loves having her make up done flamboyantly for the comps its all part of it. Daniel will settle for the tan and yes it does help them get placed - not ideal i guess but it does.

I have seen kids with some awful tans at these places and am part of a forum that discusses all subjects regading tanning and you wouldnt believe what they do to acheive the tangoed look.

I know when I spray my kids whats going on them, I also spray the whole dance school as well regulary and they love it so much so the mums have now started having it done.

As long as you patch test before applying a full tan there is nothing in the solution that is going to cause long term or for that any problem whatsoever.

I know I may be in a minority but if you went to some of these comps and some of them there are hundreds of girls and boys and 80% of them are tanned and i know where some it comes from and i wouldnt want make kids looking like a umpa lumpa. one girl in our school applied tan with a mit twice during the day and then the following morning and she has now got the most awful nick name through it. These girls just want to be tanned and will go to any extreme to do it.

Why send them to boots or superdrug or another salon when you could do it yourself and boost your income. I dont charge full price for the school I do it at a reduced rate for them and they have not looked back and our school always looked tanned and not tangoed!!!

JMO !!

Last edited:
To spraytan a kid at 4 1/2 is madness...poor little blighter must have been petrified .

Ok no reason why little girlies shouldnt get one for a school dance or whatever but 4 1/2...come on its not for the kids vanity at that age its the parents...thats what makes it wrong...

OMG will be endorsing false nails for babies at this rate.:eek:

collin

believe me when I say there are kids are young as 3 that have this done at comps yes that is true poor little begger.

hannah was just 6 when she started competing nationwide and this was when she had her first tan and oh my did she giggle - she wasnt petrified just in histerics with the noise and the air blowing out.

after the initial giggles we managed to get though the procedure fine and she loved it - so much so after a few times she said to me "mummy i dont want any white bits" yes i couldnt believe it either.

when you go to one of these comps the range of tans goes from natural to off the scale, you see streaks, patches and all sorts. It is a real eye opening. However the darker you are the better your costume and make up looks.

We may think it is terrible to do this but believe me in the dance world this is quite normal.

each to there own

I used to dance and compete so I understand the girls always were told to enhance their normal colouring didnt have sprays but did have rub in. I dont really agree with spraying the young girls - whats wrong with the parent rubbing the tan in? (and yes it may come out streaky) but it is unethical to spray girls for competitions and not general youngsters.
I dont do under 16's as there skin is more delicate and prone to drying out and irritation. if you use a compressor then you have to spray at a very low pressure to avoid the blood bubbling under the skin, even if you use a HVLP how low is low, why risk it and does your insurance cover it - consent from parent or not.

Oooh Tracey I feel much less of a power mum now lol!! Thank god, I was feeling really bad!! Chloe went onto her dress rehersals with perfectly professionally applied make up (by me of course!) and I did as good job, well as much as you can with blue eyeshadow and red lips! But some of the kids in the show, OMG made me wonder if the parents let the kids apply mke up themselves!! Think sausage shapes of blue all over the eye and sausage shaped lips, I was horrified!! Next yer I shall offer to help out but this was her first show with this school, and its on scale I have not dealt with before much bigger thn her dance school in york!

four and a half years old with a fake tan applied in a professional studio and charged for as a professional service ....be it for normal living or a dance group :eek::eek:

Would seriously consider insurers view on that guy's :hug:

Of course done at home for a family member ...well even then at that age :eek::eek:

four and a half years old with a fake tan applied in a professional studio and charged for as a professional service ....be it for normal living or a dance group :eek::eek:

Would seriously consider insurers view on that guy's :hug:

Of course done at home for a family member ...well even then at that age :eek::eek:

I have just phoned my insurance company - Professional Beauty - and they have stated that I am absolutely fine spray tanning children with the parents consent. I said the lowest I would be doing would be 5 years old.

They did say that I could quote them on here... but they recommended that everyone must check with their own insurance company and check for themselves even if they are too with Professional Beauty.

I did check with them before I sprayed my first child over 3 years ago.. but I just wanted to clarify it again to day.
:hug:

I have just phoned my insurance company - Professional Beauty - and they have stated that I am absolutely fine spray tanning children with the parents consent. I said the lowest I would be doing would be 5 years old.

They did say that I could quote them on here... but they recommended that everyone must check with their own insurance company and check for themselves even if they are too with Professional Beauty.

I did check with them before I sprayed my first child over 3 years ago.. but I just wanted to clarify it again to day.
:hug:

as far as I am aware there are no current legal limitations on age when it comes to spraytanning children.

I would most certainly advise against spraying (professionaly for a fee ) any children under the insurers recommended age limits.

Parental views are of course an entitlement and what they do in their homes is a whole different ball game....even if that means they wish to spraytan a 4 1/2 year old ..what we do as professionals in a commercial enviroment is something completly different.

If there are no legal limitations in whichever service you are offering it is always advisable to refer to your insurers to find out if they have any age limit stipulations set for cover.

Think like a pro and all will be good in the garden :hug:

I think it depends what its for. I spray tan girls approx age 11-14 basically because they are in dancing competitions. I would just use your judgement, if some stupid mother wants to come in and have her 4 yr old tanned to look good on some wedding photos I would tell her a definite no. Its the principle of it all, if there's a good reason ie. dancing competitions fair enough but just for looking good and vanity for the mother, no way. But thats my personal opinion. Now perhaps if the child was jumping up and down wanting one (obviously not at four year old, but perhaps eight year old) and the parent was giving their consent then maybe so. Just use your instinct - thats my advice ! xx

i wouldnt spray a child of 3 or 4 the youngest has only ever been my daughter as she is the youngest in the squad. i wouldnt feel comfortable spraying anyone younger than her.

i would never spray anyone under the insurers recommended age limits either its unethical.

i think as that imo a dance comp is acceptable but if it was for vanity then that would be a different story.

instint is a strong feeling i totally agree with that one.

Oooh Tracey I feel much less of a power mum now lol!! Thank god, I was feeling really bad!! Chloe went onto her dress rehersals with perfectly professionally applied make up (by me of course!) and I did as good job, well as much as you can with blue eyeshadow and red lips! But some of the kids in the show, OMG made me wonder if the parents let the kids apply mke up themselves!! Think sausage shapes of blue all over the eye and sausage shaped lips, I was horrified!! Next yer I shall offer to help out but this was her first show with this school, and its on scale I have not dealt with before much bigger thn her dance school in york!

toni theres no need for you to feel bad,its not your fault that these competitions make silly rules,I bet your chloe looked lovely, shame about the others though,well Im sure theyll all be ok next year,think im goint to go around a few dance studios now hehe, with flyers in hand,

But why do these rules about the tans have to be stuck to, whats wrong with natural skin tone for kids in dance competitions, surely good warm lighting would be just as good?

Latest posts

Back