TPTW-Stealing your thunder

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
It seems to be happening more and more.
People copying other people's websites; people purporting to do high-end services but actually using cheaper alternatives ie- people claiming to use shellac when they are using copies or people advertising that they do HD Brows when they haven't done the training.
People choosing a similar salon name to the salon down the road hoping to gain some clients.
People doing similar logos, copying photos of others work and passing it off as their own and people using similar brand names in the hope of confusing people such as Bluesky Shellac or High Definition Eyebrows.
So what are your thoughts?
Are people just too lazy to get off their backsides and do the work themselves?
It seems more and more people are stooping to new lows.
Has anyone had something like this happen and managed to do anything about it?
Your thoughts?

It seems to be happening more and more.
People copying other people's websites; people purporting to do high-end services but actually using cheaper alternatives ie- people claiming to use shellac when they are using copies or people advertising that they do HD Brows when they haven't done the training.
People choosing a similar salon name to the salon down the road hoping to gain some clients.
People doing similar logos, copying photos of others work and passing it off as their own and people using similar brand names in the hope of confusing people such as Bluesky Shellac or High Definition Eyebrows.
So what are your thoughts?
Are people just too lazy to get off their backsides and do the work themselves?
It seems more and more people are stooping to new lows.
Has anyone had something like this happen and managed to do anything about it?
Your thoughts?

Totally agree with you - it seems everyone is out to make a quick buck these days. Nobody wants toput the hard work in to getting and keeping clients.

Most of these people won't last in the business, at the end of the day clients come back for quality services.

I've browsed a few sites where I recognise some of my wording, almost word for word. First it annoyed me as I have spent hours upon hours doing my own website and my own SEO but then when I thought about it, I found it more of a compliment that someone wants to use things I have said as it's obviously that good! :lick: :D

I know of instances where photos have been "stolen" and passed off as their own work, this I DO NOT agree with. And I also fail to understand what the point of this is, as if a client asks for the design they have pictured on their site or in their portfolio, then they're going to be a bit stuck if it's something they can't do or re-create exactly. Not to mention the complete lack of pride knowing it's not something they have designed and created themselves.

As for cheaper products being used, we have this discussion at length on this site and unfortunately it is something that will never change. The Tech's that use the correct products and put in the hard work are the ones that will be having the last laugh and making a success of themselves. Does it worry me? Does it 'eck :wink2:

I think you will always get people who want to save a buck. So they will use the the cheaper copy products. They seem do be doing it a lot with the hd brows don't they. I think every man and his dog are doing spray tans a lot of them very young. I do a few young girls and they all have friends doing tans but as they never have any money they only ever have 1 shade lol xx

I personally cant stand cheap imitations, i think it always goes wrong! Not to name and shame some brands but the results always prove it.

Websites that are pending with same connotations i think, sometimes find it hard to word or express themselves to as unqiue to their ability. In other words the same jibbar jabber as other people that cant think of how to describe their talents. In some comprehensive terms for stealing people thunder or logos or even the salon names, i think maybe its a flattering admiration, but also a huge lack of understanding, lack of using your brain, why cant they get their own bleeding ideas!

Ive had it happen to me several times, at first i was flattered now im slightly annoyed, but i dust it off my shoulder as i find the competition irrelevant, i just do my own thing, and if they want a piece of it, i would appreciate a heads up.-aka acknowledgement.

Another thing on this thread was i thinking is its ok to an extent to like how some people are brave enough to have thier own spin on treatments? In the sense that creative brands, applying in different ways with different names, but not to copy a whole set procedure. Its considered a copyright infrigment/ off someones patented idea. Is it right?

Some treatments defining eyebrow treatments have been going on since ancient times, so if a company wants to spin it of as a new high end treatment its kinda bs. In the middle east, asia and obviously in ancient times, you'll find that some treatments were widely exposed until it was capitaised on. I know i may have rambled on and gave a semi history lesson but do you think you would of ever heard of hopi ear if it hadnt been exported over from native american indians?!

Did amy childs just recreate hair vajazzle?! its amost a WTF branding that the sellers think we must be dumb enough as a consumer to buy. Will we get cheap imitations, yes for years to come, but its our prerogative to get suckered into it!! xoxo

Good thread angelina!

I for one am sick of one girl in my area passing off HD brows when she hasn't even done the course!

Named them her own initials but try's to make it sound better by stating 'just as good if not better than HD, same procedure used but with out the ridiculous price tag' I beg to differ after seeing the photos of her work! She also has a picture of the hd logo on her page :eek:

A few clients have wrote on her page can I book in for h'ds please & The therapist has wrote back on several occasions - yeah of course! (no correcting them & saying well actually no there not hd!)

she's a fraud in my eyes! winds me up! lol x

What about copying someone else's design for nails, where do people stand on that? I can't make my mind up on it...

All the other stuff above though-totally immoral! We had a word for it at school-cheating!!!

I've had an ever so slightly different thing with websites.

When I sold my salon just over a year ago, everything sold with it, including my website. Now I've been on since, as recently as 3 days ago, and apart from changing the prices, she has kept everything the same, including MY list of qualifications passed off as her own!!!! Now I know for a fact that she hasn't done half the courses I did :mad:

I've had an ever so slightly different thing with websites.

When I sold my salon just over a year ago, everything sold with it, including my website. Now I've been on since, as recently as 3 days ago, and apart from changing the prices, she has kept everything the same, including MY list of qualifications passed off as her own!!!! Now I know for a fact that she hasn't done half the courses I did :mad:

Cheeky mare! Maybe you should drop her a little letter through the post ;)

What about copying someone else's design for nails, where do people stand on that? I can't make my mind up on it...

All the other stuff above though-totally immoral! We had a word for it at school-cheating!!!

I have a load of pictures that are not mine BUT they are not anywhere that anyone can see (my phone). I use these for Inspiration and recreate them myself

Me too dream nails. I veer from thinking its copying to thinking its ok! Really cannot decide! But if you're not artistic or creative like me it's good to take inspiration. I just wonder how someone would feel knowing someone else was copying their design. Isn't it like copying their wording for a website? Or logo? Dunno.

Me too dream nails. I veer from thinking its copying to thinking its ok! Really cannot decide! But if you're not artistic or creative like me it's good to take inspiration. I just wonder how someone would feel knowing someone else was copying their design. Isn't it like copying their wording for a website? Or logo? Dunno.

There are a few threads on here where we share our work to inspire others. Not to mention our photo albums with all our work for all members to view and see. If someone were to do something based on what I had designed or vice versa, if I did something that had been inspired by someone else's work, then you give credit where credit due. That the art you have created or design of nail is thanks to XXXX. It's when people copy and save the images to their PC or Phone and then pass the work off as their own when this becomes infringement, theft and copyright IMO and isn't on at all.

Rarely can brand new creative and unique designs be created, as there are thousands of designs out there and so something you may do may stem from the inspiration of seeing a design yourself, not just on nails but inspiration taken from ANY art form, a picture, a photo, a flower, abstract art, curtains, wallpaper etc etc. But when someone outright steals a picture of work that has been created by someone else and passes it off as their own, that makes me mad!

i cant tell you excatly how it makes me feel because there are swear words involved... but i frigging well hate and it makes me want to punch them in the nose....(breaths into paper bag)

Until six weeks ago there was a Russian website with every single logo I've ever done sat on there displayed as their work. That's well over 1,000 designs and about three years of my life.

The site no longer exists. *evil grin*

Until six weeks ago there was a Russian website with every single logo I've ever done sat on there displayed as their work. That's well over 1,000 designs and about three years of my life.

The site no longer exists. *evil grin*

LOL ! Good on you :)

I had a 'makeup artist' in my area set up her business name and website very simular to mine, to the piont where some clients thought were are the same business or linked in some way.

At first I was flatered that some liked my business name and website enought to copy them, however down the line it has caused me nothing but problems.

I get argery calls from her clients or prosepective clients wanting to know why this woman is not returning their calls or emails etc.

I have had some really vile phone calls from people she has let down as they cant get hold of her and think we work together or im somehow responsable for her actions.

I am angery as I used to know this woman and gave her some advice when she first started out and now she take the P*** out of me lol

I am no way threaten by this other artist as I targeted a different more affluential clients then she does and I have over 12 years expereiance as well as editioral and commercial project behind me and I give A1 customer service:)

But in the end I had to totally rebrand my website and its formate to make sure people are aware i am not connected to this other artist.

had I let this carry on and truned the other cheek and not change my site etc, she could of ruined the rep of business intentionally or unintentionally.

Last edited:
Hi I've been in the industry a long time, as a rep and trainer for different companies. I've had my own salon for 8 years now, so have a fair idea what's going on around me. However I have a salon stalking me! Booked in for a treatment (she previously has and cancelled twice!) took a treatment menu. I had a gut feeling and checked her web site and basically she's copied it. Now I'm not threatened by her but I really don't want her in my salon again!! Any suggestions for politely telling her to sling her hook! Thanks

Latest posts

Back