TPTW- What can we do about Daytime TV bashing our services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
I live in the US, but I'm sure this is a problem in Europe and the UK as well. I'm so tired of journalists and Doctors giving out the wrong information and speculating about the safety of our services.

Today, a Doctor claimed that UV lights will cause skin cancer. I know this has been discussed, so I immediately searched here for the perfect verbage to use, and wrote a reply.

Last week, there was a segment claiming the cutting cuticle will lead to infection and that lash dye is dangerous. Ok, I see where they're coming from. They meant eponychium, and I suppose lash dye could be dangerous, if it were used incorrectly. But the service itself isn't inherently harmful.

In addition to this, there are thousands of segments on these shows implying that beauty professionals are just out to get your money and you don't need to follow their advice. That you're wasting your money.

This is the first time I've written directly to NBC (the TV network) so we'll see if my comments are acknowledged. And if they take me up on my offer to appear on the show :lol:

So far, my facebook comments have been ignored.

So, what can we do? I imagine, that when I comment, they just think I want to protect my business. Not necessarily, that I want to share the truth.

Thank God, I only have two days off to watch these shows, or my blood would be boiling all the time :)

There's a clip on youtube (not sure if it's still there) of the People's Court judge, Judge Milian trying a case re: acrylic nails. The judge's info was SO wrong, as was her verdict. She used her own experience with acrylic nails to come to her decision. IMHO, at the very least, she should have sought a licensed nail tech's advice OR done some research.

Dr. Oz has also had some negative things to say about having your nails done. I've not seen the segment but it was mentioned in Nails Magazine.

It is FRUSTRATING, to say the least. I guess anything in the WRONG hands could have the potential to be dangerous. But come on, getting your lashes tinted by a PRO? I think not.

Hannah, an editor from Nails, has offered to go on to Dr. Oz and any other show to represent the proper side of things and has been turned down. They are not interested in presenting facts--they are interested in boosting ratings. Doug Schoon has offered his services as well and has not been replied to. Really all we can do is educate our clients ourselves when the issue arises. Be prepared with the proper information when you hear misinformation. As was recently proven-you can not even trust the media when they offer you the opportunity. A well known tech was offered the opportunity to dispell myths on GMA recently and after she left they edited the segment till it was unrecognizeable! So unless you have an inside track with a small local tv show or news personality, start small--with your own circle and keep it spreading!

It's funny how any one can consider their selves as experts of the nail industry and the "damage" we cause them just because they stopped by their local NSS and got their nails ripped off (literally) several times.

The news doesn't care what you have to say. All they care about are ratings. Ratings go up when they mention that something you do in your daily life causes cancer. They don't care about your business or profession.

well apparently hair dye causes cancer. There is no increased risk for hairdressers funny enough. Peroxide is a bad thing and burns your hair (riiiggghht)
you shouldnt blow dry your hair if you have allergies (a doctor told one of my clients this!)
Hair ext make you bald.
Dyeing hair makes it fall out

We have had every bloody scare story the daily mail can make up. Women still get their hair done and live to tell the tale.

It's a miracle any of us are still alive!

Hannah, an editor from Nails, has offered to go on to Dr. Oz and any other show to represent the proper side of things and has been turned down. They are not interested in presenting facts--they are interested in boosting ratings. Doug Schoon has offered his services as well and has not been replied to. Really all we can do is educate our clients ourselves when the issue arises. Be prepared with the proper information when you hear misinformation. As was recently proven-you can not even trust the media when they offer you the opportunity. A well known tech was offered the opportunity to dispell myths on GMA recently and after she left they edited the segment till it was unrecognizeable! So unless you have an inside track with a small local tv show or news personality, start small--with your own circle and keep it spreading!

I thought about emailing him, but I see he's already contacted Dr. Oz. I usually really like his (Dr. Oz's) advice, but he is definately is a major offender.

I'm already educating my clients everyday. I'm worried about the potential clients hearing this garbage and not having faith in professional beauty services.

Last edited:
Firstly, what a great TPTW!!

Last week, there was a segment claiming that lash dye is dangerous. Ok, I see where they're coming from. , and I suppose lash dye could be dangerous, if it were used incorrectly. But the service itself isn't inherently harmful.
I must say that this is one of those services that is soooo easily done incorrectly that it could be classed as dangerous. Phenelyene Diamines (as used throughout the colouring industry for dark colours) are a very high sensatiser, far more so than anything in the Nail industry... AND to top it off the soft tissue around the eye is the most sensative to irritation...
Combine these to with a non-professional doing them sloppily and hey presto you have a huge number of women with massive irritation and allergy problems around the eye - VERY painful too...

In addition to this, there are thousands of segments on these shows implying that beauty professionals are just out to get your money and you don't need to follow their advice. That you're wasting your money.
Interesting that you often note this type of 'advice' comes from an 'expert' who is endorsing a 'consumer' version or product that is cheaper... I'd say that's just called misleading advertising to help themselves out...

I'm already educating my clients everyday. I'm worried about the potential clients hearing this garbage and not having faith in professional beauty services.

This is the answer folks... EDUCATION .... As a professional (which hopefully you are) then you can explain to customers what and why we do ... The cosmetic industry is rife with misleading information and consumer confusion. All we can do is wait and pick up the pieces when the consumer realises the mistake they have made... :)

Well, that's my opinion... forewarned is forarmed.

Latest posts

Back