Trachonychia/20 nails dystrophy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoLimitNails

Reaction score
Helle everybody out there. I have searched the web but cannot find the answer to my question. Can you file/thin down nails with trachonychia, its also called 20 nails dystrophy, so you could overlay with gel or acrylic?
Thank you
Karen

Hi - I would think you could overlay this type of nail, (as from what Ive seen of it, there is no nailplate seperation, and you would be better to overlay with a custom mix to hide the pitting on the nails.

Maybe Geeg could answer this more correctly for you flower

hth

Why do you ask?

Do you have a client with this condition?

If so why not offer a little more explanation as to what the condition is and what it looks like?

I for instance haven't a clue what it is.

Apart from the most common nail disorders, that we see only once in a blue moon anyway in the salon, I have no interest in nail diseases. For one we as nail technicians are not allowed to diagnose them or to treat them so they are of little interest to me.

If something looks weird, I send a client to their GP for permission to proceed.

Here is the definition.

Twenty nail dystrophy, also known as Trachonychia is a condition characterised by the rough linear ridges developed on but not specifically all twenty nails of the fingers and toes. The nails are opalescent and frequently are brittle and split at the free margin. There has been evidence of the condition as a cutaneous manifestation of lichen planus. It has also been associated with other diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, alopecia areata. It is more common in children and becomes less obvious with age.

It seems that it is not a fungal condition. I would have a go on one or two and chart the results.

Last edited:
Yes I should have given a few more details...

We have a client with this disease, and I have read all about it, and she has been to experts who says that this is what she has, and there is no fungal infection ore anything else that is at any risk for us or other clients..

I needed to know if anybody with succes have filed nails down so the could be overlayed, its only on the feets they dont need much thinning, but in order to get the nices look they would have to be thinned down on the one side, if you understand. What I needed to know is can you thin down...

thank you for your explanation of the desease geeg....

Last edited:
As I say, I would experiment with one or two nails and see how you go.

Regarding thinning; Stick to the basics that you know.

The more stable the nail plate, the better the nail enhancement will last.

If you thin you are potentially de-stabilizing the nail plate IOW making it less strong. So be careful to only smooth out the ridges slightly and to get rid of any crumbling material so you have the best surface you can to apply the overlay. There is no harm in trying is there.

Because the surface tends to flake away on this kind of nail condition, you may get lots of lifting and 'greenies' will be a potential consequence.

TRY with a few nails only for a month or two and see how the nails react. The client will love the smoothness of the 'new' nails and will urge you to continue but I would really advise only one or two nails to begin with.

Let us know the results. I would certainly have a go myself. :lol:

As I didn't know what to do really I gave her a manicure and just painted her nails instead because there were to much of a crumbled surface, so thougt it would be better considering the above mentioned.
Shes a young lady and was told by her doctor that it would probably dissapear in time, so we agreed to wait with the ovelay as it wasn't worth taking the risk because they would need lots of thinning ideed to be able to overlay nicely.
But thank you for answering, if they get better(it won't dissapear completely) she will have them overlayed...

Latest posts

Back